OK, level with me...how bad are the bugs?

MamaParrotHead

I was planning on doing a beach day for everyone the day we're in Belize (thinking Bannister Caye). I don't know if we can hack the bugs, if they're that bad, though. We did a week on the Jersey Shore a few years ago, and were dealing with Green-Headed (BITING) flies. It totally ruined those beach days for us, they were damn vicious.

Can someone set the record straight for me? Please?

Thanks.

We did a land vacation in December and stayed 3 hours south of Belize City in a little village near Placencia on the beach. We were bitten by sand fleas (no-see-ums), even though we had applied DEET each time we were out. I never saw any mosquitoes near the beach, only inland in the jungle and rainforest. Hope for a breeze, as the fleas don't seem to bite (as much!). The worst part was when we returned home (CA) the itching didn't go away for 3 weeks!

It is a gorgeous country, though! Enjoy your visit!

. . . I know one guy who has bought into one beach "resort" big time, although he hasn't been anywhere else so far as we can tell. Deep Woods Off! [25% DEET] has proved effective for us in MANY locations over a two-week-period in the northern half of Belize--but of course it has to be APPLIED before it can be EFFECTIVE!

I was planning on doing a beach day for everyone the day we're in Belize (thinking Bannister Caye). I don't know if we can hack the bugs, if they're that bad, though. We did a week on the Jersey Shore a few years ago, and were dealing with Green-Headed (BITING) flies. It totally ruined those beach days for us, they were damn vicious.

Can someone set the record straight for me? Please?

Thanks.

I do not know about the bugs on the beaches in Belize, but I do know about.....Jersey Shore and Green Heads. As a "Jersey Girl" I know those darn things hurt, but are only around when the wind comes from the west.

Sorry you had this experience, but from what other people have posted you won't see Green Heads in Belize! We loved Belize but did have a few mosquitoes around (Lamanai Mayan Ruins). Enjoy!

. . . we had no contact with "greenheads" or any other type of fly except two or three houseflies. But there are mosquitoes--you can hear them; some sort of biting gnats, even in Belize City--you will feel them later, if you forgot your Off!; and there are occasionally sand fleas, which are available from one end of the Caribbean to the other. We did not visit Bannister Caye during our stay.

My family of 4 was there last April did the cave tubing excursion & none of us wes bitten by any bugs. Didn't hear anybody in group being bitten either. Go have fun & quit worrying!

My daughter and I are going to do the cave tubing in a few weeks. Did you enjoy it? Was it difficult?

We loved it, and it was easy. Felt very safe . Lots of fun. We went w/ the cavetubing.com people & they were great. Just a very long bus rideto & from the port to the river, it was an hour each way. But the river is beautiful are the caves are really cool. My two daughters loved it. I think we paid $35.00 PP booked online & paid cash at end of tour. Go & have fun!

But next time I'm there, I'm going snorkeling at The Blue Hole!

Snorkelers are generally discouraged from going to the Blue Hole in the Bay of Honduras, as 1.) it is very deep, 2.) it is very far from land (and consequently rather expensive to visit), and 3.) you won't see anything by snorkeling. Naturally it is heaven for SCUBA divers, who will go into the hole and see lots of deepwater stuff.

There are a number (perhaps I should say "an infinite number") of excellent locations for snorkeling which are much closer than the Blue Hole is to the mainland. Save some money and have more fun--or get certified for SCUBA diving before you go! :D

Hey Driftwood,

I'm sure you're right, the lonely planet diving & snorkling guide book says about the same thing, although it does list the the legendary Blue Hole (at the of the Lighthouse Reef) a favorable snorkeling spot It was as featured in a Jaque Costeau documentary years ago. But really the best way to see it might be from above in a small plane? The place just looks so darn cool, would love to check it out!

. . . its Belize was one of four guides I took with me on our trip! If I had access to a small plane, or could afford access to a small plane, or was a SCUBA diver myself, I would certainly want to go there. But it is my impression that the entire length of the reef is gorgeously alive (although I was only able to photograph about half a mile of it myself), and as you must have a boat and a licensed guide anyway to go there, you might as well save a little on gas . . . . :D

Are you an owner of Bannister Island?? You are going to say that one island has bugs and the other doesn't!? Gimme a break. :)

Actually, when we stayed in Roatan a few years back, they regularly sprayed the beach in front of the Hotel to control the no-see'ms. It wasn't 100% effective, but if you wandered beyond the sprayed areas you got bit...

Archived