Public Bus

maofthree

• 4 weeks later...

We used the bus system when there in December. It's helpful to have a map along so you can figure out which bus to take and where to get off. The regular buses only take tokens or Barbadian dollars. The smaller vans will take USD. They all seem to take the same routes and charge the same amount--$.75 USD or $1.50 BD per person per trip, no matter how short or long. It's easy to reach anywhere on the West Coast from the pier. Walk toward town along the water and look for the bus terminal (called Cheapside) off a block to the left after you pass some bright colored shops. You can buy tokens there. To go up the West Coast, look for the Speightstown bus. To get to some of the other areas of the island you will need to go to the terminal in town. There is a link in another post to the transit website.

It was only a ten minute walk from the cruise terminal to the bus station. It is on the left side of the road just past pelican shopping center. We took the bus, it was $1.50 US one way, to Folkstone marine park. It was a very interesting half hour bus ride. On the way back we took the private bus, for the same price. This was really a fun ride, as the bus driver apparently was speeding and had multiple infractions and was ticketed very heavily. Anyway it was quite entertaining to listen to him arguing with the officer for 15 minutes. We didn't care, but the local folks did not find this humorous at all.

The public bus is safe, and will take you pretty much around the whole island, I was told.

Note that it's $1.50 BDS.

I took the bus in Barbados every day for over 20 years for either school or work so I'm a little biased towards buses over taxis... but it really depends on how flexible your schedule is and how much time you have. Minivans and Transport Board buses (Gov't) ply the same routes so in most cases you can take either and you'll be hard pressed to have to wait for more than 15 minutes. (Sundays are a little slower though, a lot of minivans take the day off or work reduced hours on Sundays).

We have spent several weeks on the West Coast of Barbados over the years and have taken the bus all over the island including over to Bathsheba on the East Coast and inland to the race track as well as the Flower Forest.

A really good and cheap tour would be to catch the bus in Bridgetown to Speightstown and then change buses for one going to Bathsheba and then back to Bridgetown.

Fun and a bit of an adventure!

On our cruise in April, we are taking the bus to the resort north of Holetown we have stayed at in the past. We will look around the hotel (can't afford to stay there anymore - rates have skyrocketed!) and then walk (and swim) our way back to the beach restaurant near Holetown. Have lunch and then catch the bus back to Bridgetown. We have done this each time we dock in Barbados.

Is the bus terminal mentioned in previous posts the one we need to look for to go to Accra Beach? And, I am right that we need tokens not US money to ride the bus. If so, are tokens available to buy with US money at the bus terminal?

Thanks for any info to help us plan to use the bus system while visiting Barbados.

Doxiegal, I'm afraid you were ripped off.

Kathylee, to go to accra you have two choices

1) A transport Board Bus. You can see the Bus terminal from Heroes square in Bridgetown. Heroes square has Lord nelson's statue, the parliament building, etc. The terminal is right across the the street from there. These buses are blue and are operated by the Barbados Gov't. $1.50 BDS (and you must have BDS currency). You can exchange money at the port.

2) A private minivan. You would get the Accra minivan from the river road terminal. It's on the other side of town from the port. You walk up broad street, pass Heroes square again, and keep going for another 5 minutes. You have to turn right into the river van stand. Ask anyone, it's not far. Same price $1.50 BDS, but you can pay with $.75 USD.

On the van or bus, just tell the driver to let you off at Accra. Specify "Accra hotel" or "Accra beach".

Have a blast!

We have stayed at Colony Club for 2 weeks 3 times in the past. Loved it! However, it has become too expensive for us. When we are on a cruise we just get off the bus outside the resort, walk in and tell the front desk that we have stayed here in the past and can we walk around (it is not all- inclusive) and see any changes. They have always been very happy to have us do that. Lovely place.

• 3 weeks later...

Three years ago we spent a day at the Colony Club Beach Resort (we had priveledges while staying at their sister property, Turtle Beach Resort). The Colony Club Beach is much calmer!

The highlight of the beach for us was just to the south of their property......The Folkstone Marine Park. It's a protected area stretching out several hundred feet in the water and surrounded by buoys that keep the boat traffic away. Underwater is a mass of coral and provides for some pretty incredible snorkeling.

Our Norwegian Jewel cruise stops in Barbados this April 16th. I called the Colony Club to see if we could buy a day pass there (normally $90) but they are completely sold out.

Our plan now is to take the bus from the ship and spend the day up there; hopefully there will be chairs to rent and a place ot two for snacks, lunch and, of course, a few of their wonderful local brew: Banks !!

I took the local bus last time I was in Barabdos (Mid Nov). It was great I am never paying a cab again in Barbados. I paid $1.50 on the bus system to the Blue Monkey (a.k.a Paynes Bay Beach) it took 20 mins from the bus station. Then on the way back we paid a dollar per person US to ride the yellow local caribbean bus back. It was great. I would do it again in a second.

we had intentions of catching the yellow local bus in barbados, but they were very overloaded ie people hanging off the buses as they drove away, one was stopped and got a ticket whist the other dumped half the passengers then drove off before the police stopped him, maybe it was a busy time though when we travelled, personaly would never catch one after seeing this, especially when travelling with kids.

Archived