US Riverboat cruises

sueart46

Many are quite inaccessible as they don't have elevators, so that makes traveling impossible. You will really need to check the deck plans on any boat you're interested in, just to make sure if there are elevators. These boats are relatively easy to embark because it's usually a wide ramp from the dock to the boat, so that's not a concern. Check out the boats of Majestic America Line. Those boats do have elevators.

We did a cruise from StLouis to Minn/StPaul on the Mississippi Queen a few years back with a wheelchair and it was hardly what I would call accessible even though the boat did have an elevator. There were no cabins at that time with bathrooms equipped for chair users; fortunately at that time I could get out of the chair and stand in the bathroom, but using the shower was unreal. Depending on the height of the river when you take your trip, the ramp at the bow may connect at the land end about half way up the levee and you have to be pushed up the rest of the distance. Many of the quaint old river towns where they stop have either cobblestone or brick streets which can make chair travel rough. I suggest you contact the line you are considering and ask if they will accept a "scooter" or power chair; we did not see any on our trip:)

No, the Mississippi Queen is not at all accessible -- it's a historic ship -- but the American Queen is. I've seen all of their accessible cabins and it’s a very good ship for wheelers. I’ve written about it many times.

I've also written about a lot of other US river cruises that are accessible. It's what I do. Yes, they do take some effort to find, but they are there.

Candy

Archived