Do all ships dock at the same place in Kona

libbieb

After reading recent posts, Kona sounds like a wonderful place to discover, even on foot. We will be on Pride of America, does it dock at the same place?

It sounds like we can walk to parks, historical areas and beaches, is this correct? Are other ports this way? I know Maui is an industrial port so the answer to that one is no, what about Hilo and Kauai?

Kona is a tender port. The ships all wait in deeper waters.

You can walk through the town fairly quickly. Beaches are nearby.

Maui is also a tender port. It's my favorite!!! Great for shopping and a quick walk to the beach.

Enjoy!

Muai is not a tender port on the POAM...you dock overnight at the Kahului pier, with easy access to many wonderful areas by rental car (which is a quick and easy and inexpensive process in Maui)

We don't dock at Lahainia, is that the area you think is so nice in Maui. I think we dock at Kahulia sp?? , but I have been told it is an industrial working pier. Do you know anything about Hilo or Kauai?
Yes, Kahului is a working pier, but it is also a very convenient port for touring the island. If you are on the starboad or aft side of the ship you will still have a fairly nice view from your balcony when docked. See this thread for more info, and to read why many of us feel that kahului is a superior port to Lahaina (especially when docked overnight):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=704610

Hilo and Kauai are also working ports, but again close to car rental and very convenient locations to be. The views from the side of the ship facing away from the dock are quite pretty in both ports as well.

Maui was not a tender port for us in December. We were there two days and we parked our rental along the sea wall over night right at the ship. We were on the POAm.

On our second day we drove into Lahaina. POAm may have changed locations it docks, so don't go by what we had.

We docked right at Kauai and Hilo and took the first shuttles to the car rentals. In Kona we tendered and the hotel King Khameiameia is right there and that's where we rented our car. (I may have misspelled the King's name...sorry King).

Archived