caribbean vs Mexico cruise

Agocruisin

Hello,

we have been on 7 Caribbean cruises and are considering booking a 7-day Mexico cruise with Carnival in November.

Could any of you tell me if there are any major differences to expect? Are the seas rougher; are the ports of call similar? We have been to Costa Maya, Cozumel, Ocho Rios, St-Martin, Barbados, Belize, St-John...etc.

Any info appreciated!

Are you talking about the Mexican Riviera on the Pacific coast? The water is much colder so the air temp on deck at night is cooler. The fog banks are amazing. The ports are less "tropical". Much of the "Mex Riviera" is on the Baja coast and is desert. The air temp in the ports is much hotter, at least when we were there in September. I'd have to say the sea was rougher but we spent much of our cruise running from a hurricane so that may not be a fair test.

We enjoyed the trip. As far as shopping and night life, I found the ports to be pretty similar.

Hello,

we have been on 7 Caribbean cruises and are considering booking a 7-day Mexico cruise with Carnival in November.

Could any of you tell me if there are any major differences to expect? Are the seas rougher; are the ports of call similar? We have been to Costa Maya, Cozumel, Ocho Rios, St-Martin, Barbados, Belize, St-John...etc.

Any info appreciated!

What Mexico cruise are you considering. The Mexican Rivera does have a different flavor than the Caribbean. However, the Western Caribbean (which normally includes Cozumel and Costa Maya) you seem to have

experienced.

So if you are talking the Rivera, then it will be different in that the beaches are not as nice or many, the weather can be different (much cooler) in Nov. You can get a little bouncy coming north up the west coast because you will be bucking the currents. Even so, my personal recommendation, given it is not our favorite itinerary and we have done it a number of times, it is still worth the time and effort. So go for it.... ;) :)

Certainly go for it. There are lots of things to do at each port. Cabo is spectacular. Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta are more tropical, but nowhere near like the Caribbean. I found the sunsets to be more spectacular. It is a great itinerary, just different.

We just returned from an 8 day on Spirit. Acalopolco, Ziteuinteo and Manzillo ( I doubt any of those are spelled correctly:( ) The first couple of days are cool but the rest of the days are warm and humid. The major difference for us was the water. Mexico is not clear and does not make for good snorkeling.

The waters on Mexico's Pacific coast are only about 4 or 5 degrees cooler. But you would be surprised how much colder that feels. If you are conditioned to the warmer waters, I would choose the sailing just before or after they shift to alaska runs. Most likely to be closer to what you are used to then. A summer cruise would be best, but they are few and far between.

We've taken only one Western Caribbean cruise and it will be out last. It was on the Miracle, which was fabulous, but the ports of call were not anywhere near the caliber of those on the southern and eastern Caribbean cruises, in my opinion.

I have sailed all over the world, a little on a cruise, but mostly on one of those grey ships with numbers on it.

I have been in the carib in 15 foot seas and on the pacific when it was smooth as glass. The state of the sea depends on the weather du jour, not on location.

Regarding a Mex. Riviera cruise..... well, if you have been to the east coast of Mexico, you should try the west coast. The cultures of Mexico's two coasts are as diverse and divergent as the cultures of the United States two coasts, possibly even more so. Imagine pulling into Boston, and then thinking that San Diego or Seattle would be the same as Boston?

Go ..... not because its similar, but because the difference will be striking and pleasantly enjoyable.

We have cruised both the caribbean, and the mexico itineraries. We love both directions. When it comes to doing a resort vacation, we choose Mexico, (mazatlan), because we love the beaches there, the people are very friendly, and the mexican hospitality is wonderful. As far as cruises go, we will go where ever the ship goes as long as it's warm and affordable!

Thanx for the replies.

I don't mind "different", just like to know what to expect! We are booking this week, with a couple of days at Disneyland pre-cruise, and we are very excited. It has been almost a year since our last cruise & we are getting itchy!!!

Pride here we come!!! in November...

Thanx for the replies.

I don't mind "different", just like to know what to expect! We are booking this week, with a couple of days at Disneyland pre-cruise, and we are very excited. It has been almost a year since our last cruise & we are getting itchy!!!

Pride here we come!!! in November...

I'm glad you decided to book it. Like everyone else mentioned it is different due to the fact it is more desert then tropical. Everyone else pretty much summed it up but I would like to add that the locals on the Mexican Riviera are the most pleasant and giving people we have ever encountered. They make you feel very welcomed. They are very proud people. We just love visiting there. And we have been pretty much all over the caribbean.

Our experience has been that the Pacific is a little more rougher especially on the way back. You will be sailing against the headwinds/current as someone mentioned.

Hope you have a great cruise!!!

Just off the Pride yesterday. Yes, the temp is cooler. In fact, few people were on the outside of the ship on Sun & Mon....On Tue, it gets nicer as you pass Cobo.....Then on Fri, when you pass Cobo heading home, it gets colder again. The ship is very, very fast and the cold wind on the decks keeps most folks inside. At night, during those cold days, you can have the outside of the ship to yourself. Bundle up and enjoy. Out of our 7 day cruise, we had 3 very nice warm days and nights, 2 cool days and nights and 2 very cold days and nights. Remember this was in Feb. A great ship, a great place to visit. Also, as stated, the seas up and down the coast (half the time you can see land) are very rough. White caps all the way until we passed Cobo. All in all, well worth the discomfort.

Archived