Bicycling on Grand Cayman

RePeteN

I'm ashamed to admit that live on GC and I can't answer that but I would advise against it anyway.

1. The roads are pretty bad and the drivers are worse, safest is to ride on the sidewalk.

2. Bicycles tend to get stolen pretty quick even if you do lock them up.

Sorry to be negative but I tried riding a bike out here and it isn't much fun.

Can you rent a bicycle on Grand Cayman?? If so...where and how is the cycling???

I rented a bike from a store on Fort Street right off the tender pier - the bike was terrible (rusty chain that fell off, coaster brakes, and one gear), but for $10, it's not terrible. I rode up West Bay Rd, and I had very few problems with traffic. I saw dozens of other people cycling up and down the road.

The comment about the traffic might be a good warning if you're not used to cycling in traffic in busy cities, but I've cycled in places like NYC and Boston, and Grand Cayman traffic and drivers are far kinder and generous than in big cities.

I was thrilled to rent a bike; it let me explore the island on my own time, and stop where and when I wanted. It took me about 40 minutes to ride to West Bay, but I wasn't really riding hard. I imagine if you manage to find a quality bike, you could probably tour the entire island in 3-4 hours.

Enjoy the ride - GC is BEAUTIFUL!

Archived