Napa

Gerioo

Right in the town of Napa, or are you referring to the Napa valley in general (there are a number of towns)? Are you also visiting the Sonoma valley??

What price range?

Full service hotel or bed-and-breakfast (there are some great ones in the area)?

Kids or no kids?

Giving us more information about what you are looking for would make recommendations that meet your needs easier to give.

Hi,

I am not familiar with the area. I guess I would like to know which area is the best for visiting the local wine areas. We have not decided about Sonoma Valley. How far is it and would you recommend it? It is just the 2 of us. I am not sure which makes the most sense the b&b or the hotel. I guess we were looking in mid range prices. Thanks for your help.

Napa and Sonoma are close, only about 20 minutes apart. But most of the major wineries are actually north of the city of Napa. Sonoma (city) wineries are a little more condensed around the town of Sonoma. There are also Sonoma County wineries that are further up the Valley about an hour or so north of San Francisco. What time of year are you travelling and what is your price range? Also how much time do you have?

We are traveling around March 17th. We only will have 2 nights. As for the price range, I was thinking somewhere in the middle range. We are then going up to San Francisco for a couple of nights.

Thanks for your help.

Okay, by midrange I am going to assume you mean around 3 plus star type hotels. In Napa I would suggest the River Terrace Inn, the Hilton Garden Inn or the Embassy Suites. All three should be a hair under $200 a night for a mid week stay. If you want to move up to a 4 star, I would suggest the Silverado Resort. Probably in the $250-280 ish range.

I would also suggest for the most scenic driving, to Start by driving over the Golden Gate bridge up hwy 101 and take hwy 37 to 121 up to the city of Sonoma stopping at wineries along the way, and maybe have lunch in Sonoma, then continue on to Napa to stay the two nights, and you will be in a good location to head north on hwy 29 where most of the wineries are. Then cut over to Silverado Trail and head back towards Napa.

Hope this helps.

Those rates are really great! In the summer on a weekend I've seen $300 a night! It's a nice property. The dinners in the restaurant are a bit disappointing. But you can't go wrong with the free breakfast buffet.

With regard to a previous poster recommending the River Terrace Inn, Hotwire is selling this property for $129 for the nights of Mar 17 & Mar 18. On Hotwire, the River Terrace Inn is rated 3.5 with amenities of Smoke-Free rooms, Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Hi-Speed Internet and Spa services.

http://www.riverterraceinn.com/

Hotwire is also selling the Vino Bello Resort (a timeshare property) for $119 per night on the same dates. The Vino Bello is listed on Hotwire as a 4-star property (with a 'customer favorite' designation) with amenities of Resort, Smoke-Free rooms, Fitness Center, Pool, Business Center, Laundry Facilities & Kitchenette. If purchasing through Hotwire, you can expect to get assigned to a Studio Suite described below:

Studio Suites

Studio suites offer 493 square feet of living space, with either a king size bed and queen sized sleeper or two queen beds. All studios have fully equipped kitchenettes. Each has a separate seating area with dining table. The bath area features an oversized soaking tub with shower, as well as a custom wood carved vanity. There’s also a wall mounted 27” plasma screen TV, washer/dryer, and furnished patio or balcony.

http://www.shellhospitality.com/hotels/vino_bello_resort/

Finally, if you go the Priceline route as others have suggested, you could be also be assigned to the Napa Marriott, which like the Embassy Suites, is rated 3-stars by Priceline.

Good luck and enjoy the wine country!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the recomendations for Embassy Suites. Certainly teh best bang for your buck. They also host a happy hour in the evenings with munchies, wine & beer. (Sierra Nevada on taop, too!)

If you venture into Sonoma - the square is a great place to walk around, shop & have lunch or dinner. I highly recommend a restaurant called the Girl & The Fig. Yumm!!!

...and if you intend to visit a spa, the Lodge at Sonoma (also nice but pricey accomodations) is my favorite.

Archived