Best Cozumel Dive for Teen

Cheriesellshomes

My son (14) and I will be on the Valor in two weeks and are looking to book a dive trip in Cozumel. We were certified in spring of '06 and did 10 dives that summer, one in Cozumel (we booked with the ship). We haven't been able to dive since then and so, since we are still inexperienced, I am looking for a dive master that will give us a more personal trip. I definately want to book a trip on my own, I'm not interested in the ship's excursion. My son, with his Jr certification, is limited in the depth he can go. Several of the companies that I have researched so far state that we will pay an additional fee for a dive master to stay with us because we will not be able to stay with the rest of the group because of the depth. So, this is one option but I am still unsure. I am hoping you guys can give me some guidance. Have you had any really good or bad experiences...... Thanks!:)

I second the recommendation on Alison. I did my AOW with her. On a cruise I then took my 15 YO daughter on her first ocean dive using scubawithalison. Alison is really safety oriented and very friendly and supportive.

You may also want to try Eagle Ray Divers. We were in Cozumel when DS was 13 and also depth limited. They sent two dive masters, one to lead the main dive (we mostly did Palancar) and one to go with DS a little higher up on the reef. We were within visual field of DS most of the time, occasionally joining him on the way up for a while, and it worked out great. There's plenty to see at all levels of the reef.

We had a previous scary experience in Kauai where the two divemasters took off, went down to about 95 ft, did a fast drift dive, never looking backward to see if everyone was coming, and then were unconcerned when I spoke with them on the surface. You won't have that problem with Eagle Ray Divers - they are professional and safety conscious - you'll have a great time with them and they go with families quite often.

We had a previous scary experience in Kauai where the two divemasters took off, went down to about 95 ft, did a fast drift dive, never looking backward to see if everyone was coming.......

I don't follow DM's like that. emot-shakehead.gif

They should have known better with a Jr. Open water diver on the boat.

Thanks everyone for your input. I booked with alison. She was very helpful and answered all my questions. I like the idea of the smaller groups too. She has two boats, one that holds 7 and the other 8 I believe. As of right now neither are full. I know that can change, but I think we will get the personalized trip that I am looking for. Now I'm just ready to get to the ship!!!!:)

Archived