Cave Tubing or Lamani

Lollygil

My family of 4..2 teens..were thinking of doing the Cave tubing. But, I dont know if we will be back to Belize and don't want to miss out on a must see spot! We have seen Tulum, and are not ruins fanatics, but this seems interesting. If we have done Tulum is this a must see for us?

Definately go cave tubing. We used Reggie. He charges half the price of the cruise lines and limits the group to 14. When we went there were only 6, including the guide, in our group. Much better than going with 40 others and trying to stay together on the river.

There are several independent tour operators that offer this tour, you can search through the threads to get a feel for the different groups. After choosing who you want to go with, contact them through their website and set it up. We went with Yhonni at cave-tubing.com. Check out their website. The tour was great, Yhonni personally took care of my boys. At the beginning of the walk to the caves, he told me to enjoy myself and let him make sure my boys kept up with the group. My boys enjoyed the attention and I enjoyed being able to enjoy the tour vs. keeping a constant eye on them;)

Definately go cave tubing. We used Reggie. He charges half the price of the cruise lines and limits the group to 14. When we went there were only 6, including the guide, in our group. Much better than going with 40 others and trying to stay together on the river.

I like the idea of a smaller group...what is Reggie's website?

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. I had to get the address from my daughter. It is regtours.com.

The english on the site is a little rough but be assured that it is a good company. When I booked 4 years ago I actually called Reggie. We arranged a time so that the call went through. It cost less than $10 and made me feel much better.

My daughter is going on a cruise the week before Easter with several friends from Clemson and they have booked with Reggie.

Have a great time.

Kim

The Lamanai excursion (Belize) was incredible (I have two teens, 13 and 17 and they loved it). Bus trip to the speed boat departure point gave us an opportunity to see some of the country; the speed boat trip up the river to the ruins site was incredibly fun and exciting; lunch was great; ruins are in the middle of nowhere, monkeys overhead in the canopy, mind-blowing view from the top of the tallest ruin. Also saw a 15+ foot boa curled up at one of the ruin sites. Overall, one of the best things we've ever done.

We decided we are going to take the Lamani tour. We don't want to miss out on a must see in Belize.

I took this tour a year ago - one of the most memorable things I've ever done. The site is extraordinary, immense figs and palms along a lagoon, howler monkeys in the trees, impressive ruins including a very high temple you can climb. This will stick in your mind the rest of your life.

If you are doing the tour independently, just communicate very clearly with your operator what time you need to get back to the ship. Make sure you are clear on any difference between ship and local time. The operators are not looking to leave you stranded.

The Lamanai excursion (Belize) was incredible (I have two teens, 13 and 17 and they loved it). Bus trip to the speed boat departure point gave us an opportunity to see some of the country; the speed boat trip up the river to the ruins site was incredibly fun and exciting; lunch was great; ruins are in the middle of nowhere, monkeys overhead in the canopy, mind-blowing view from the top of the tallest ruin. Also saw a 15+ foot boa curled up at one of the ruin sites. Overall, one of the best things we've ever done.

We have booked cave tubing....now this sounds like fun also. Was the speed boat ride very bumpy:confused: I have a bad back and can't do bumpy:eek:

sorry double post..

I too am debating between cave-tubing and one of the mayan ruins. I have done tubing before and have been through caves. Of course not at the same time and not in Belize. But is it really that different? It's been getting such rave reviews, but are these from people who have never been tubing before? We've never seen any ruins. We are not history buffs at all (boring), but on the other hand don't want to miss the opportunity to see them if they are really neat. Please help!!

. . . but any Maya site in Belize is MUCH different from Tulum (aside from being inland), and much more representative generally of Mayan architecture--including (climbable for the sufficiently foolhardy) steepish pyramids and generally much larger sites.

On the other hand, cave tubing is ENORMOUS fun, and can be done in Belize as at no other place on Earth. The caves had significance for the Maya (despite their shortage of inner tubes and waterproof flashlights), and in the unlikely event that you are interested in that significance, I recommend Major Tom for the safe, non-airhead version of the tour. Major Tom keeps current on the Maya the way we keep current on Britney Spears--and there is a lot to see, and learn, and enjoy in the caves. They are really gorgeous.

Witches should not take this tour, however, as contact with water is unavoidable, and you have all seen The Wizard of Oz and know what will happen. :rolleyes:

Archived