Carnival Legend and snorkeling

CantCruiseEnough

I searched for weeks to find information about the Carnival Legend and the snorkeling opportunities at the ports of call....Cozemel, Grand Cayman, Roatan and Belize. I found the Legend to be one of the most beautiful of the six Carnival ships I have cruised upon and the ports of call great opportunities for great snorkeling. However, I have learned that not using excursions through the ship to be the best alternative. In the past when we have traveled to Cozemel and we took a catamaran snorkeling trip through Carnival it was less than satisfying with hundreds of people trying to see few fish and then the highlight of the trip watching people get drunk on watered down rum punch. This time we did our research through these forums and discovered Eagle Ray diving who provided a wonderful 3 location snorkel trip with guide who actually got in the water and lead through the limited reef to where there where actually fish in their natural habitat instead of a diver unloading chopped up pieces of tortilla to lure the fish to the location of the boat.

We then went to Stingray City for a swim with the stringrays in Grand Cayman. Which was one of the most safe and fun afternoons in the water with those amazing creatures. Well worth the money and we did book through the ship, however, if we take our children back to Grand Cayman will hire an outside vendor and jet ski to the sand barge outselves for the same money the ship charges.

Roatan has to be the best experience. Roatan has a wondeful beach on the west bay that you can actually walk out to the reef and snorkel. We took a van with guide to the Mayan Princess and paid our $10.00 entry fee and had the afternoon that is a lifetime experience. Talk about Gilligans Island fantasy with the palm trees and the crystal white beach. Roatan is the jewel of Honduras. I could spend a week there at the Mayan Princess.

Our last stop was the port of Belize and we enjoyed a snorkel excursion with Eco Systems right on the Pier. For $50.00 per person they shuttled us to Caye Caulker. The promise was 2 sites and 45 minute snorkeling at each stop with a stop at the island for shopping. Shopping was horrible and expensive although we were told it would be less expensive than the pier. Not true! And the snorkeling was rushed but the reef impressive. A bit of advise. Get off the ship as soon as possible because the independents spend much of the morning getting their customers for an 11:00 am snorkel excursion. Much of the morning was waiting for them to drum up the business to make it economical for them to pay for the fuel and guides.

Be prepared to tip all of these people that take you on these trips. They do an elaborate job of making you feel responsible for their economic survival.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

I searched for weeks to find information about the Carnival Legend and the snorkeling opportunities at the ports of call....Cozemel, Grand Cayman, Roatan and Belize. I found the Legend to be one of the most beautiful of the six Carnival ships I have cruised upon and the ports of call great opportunities for great snorkeling. However, I have learned that not using excursions through the ship to be the best alternative. In the past when we have traveled to Cozemel and we took a catamaran snorkeling trip through Carnival it was less than satisfying with hundreds of people trying to see few fish and then the highlight of the trip watching people get drunk on watered down rum punch. This time we did our research through these forums and discovered Eagle Ray diving who provided a wonderful 3 location snorkel trip with guide who actually got in the water and lead through the limited reef to where there where actually fish in their natural habitat instead of a diver unloading chopped up pieces of tortilla to lure the fish to the location of the boat.

We then went to Stingray City for a swim with the stringrays in Grand Cayman. Which was one of the most safe and fun afternoons in the water with those amazing creatures. Well worth the money and we did book through the ship, however, if we take our children back to Grand Cayman will hire an outside vendor and jet ski to the sand barge outselves for the same money the ship charges.

Roatan has to be the best experience. Roatan has a wondeful beach on the west bay that you can actually walk out to the reef and snorkel. We took a van with guide to the Mayan Princess and paid our $10.00 entry fee and had the afternoon that is a lifetime experience. Talk about Gilligans Island fantasy with the palm trees and the crystal white beach. Roatan is the jewel of Honduras. I could spend a week there at the Mayan Princess.

Our last stop was the port of Belize and we enjoyed a snorkel excursion with Eco Systems right on the Pier. For $50.00 per person they shuttled us to Caye Caulker. The promise was 2 sites and 45 minute snorkeling at each stop with a stop at the island for shopping. Shopping was horrible and expensive although we were told it would be less expensive than the pier. Not true! And the snorkeling was rushed but the reef impressive. A bit of advise. Get off the ship as soon as possible because the independents spend much of the morning getting their customers for an 11:00 am snorkel excursion. Much of the morning was waiting for them to drum up the business to make it economical for them to pay for the fuel and guides.

Be prepared to tip all of these people that take you on these trips. They do an elaborate job of making you feel responsible for their economic survival.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Wonderful information. My son and I are cruising on the Legend in June.

I was just starting to look at excursions. I have a question about the

Mayan Princess in Roatan. How did you hook up with them? Is there a way to do it online? Did they rent you the gear for snorkeling?

A part of me wants to see the monkey's in Roatan but now I hear they are on the streets and you don't have to pay to actually see them. Is that also true?

Thank you in advance for your information.

Once we rented a van to take the six of us we were given a guide. This young woman spoke english very well and asked what we wanted to do. We asked for an island tour which turned out to be a great way to see the island and then to take us to Mayan Princess. You don't have to have any reservations to enter the resort..just stop at the out door welcome desk and pay your money. They place a paper wrist ban on your wrist that stays there til you leave. The guide and drive from the taxis service stayed and actually watched our gear while we walked down the beach to a wooden pier which we were able to walk right out into the water and swim about 25 feet to the beginning of the reef. My wife and I had our own snorkeling equipment but the other two couples rented equipment from a vendor on the beach for $5.00.

If you google Mayan Princess you will see the wonderful pool you are also allowed to swim in with the price of admission to the private beach. Great way to get the sea water off you and your suits. When are done the driver and guide take you back to the ship. It is about $25.00 per person to get the taxi,driver and guide. Then a tip to the driver and guide. We spent about $70.00 per couple. Believe me the best $70.00 I have spent after six cruises.

Can't cruise enough

Archived