less than a week and daughter is sick

wolfchad

Hi all, I was nervous about our first cruise with our 15 month old daughter and now I am ready to back out. We were at the clinic yesterday due to a very high fever and after some tests we have discovered our daughter has pneumonia :( I am so upset... Our Dr said there is a chance she will be good by the weekend and we have chest x-rays for Friday morning we are scheduled to fly out on Saturday morning. Me and my spouse do not know what to do I do not want to be out of the country if my daughter is not a 100%... any suggestions??

Hopefully you have travel insurance!

Typically I hope that my kid will "get sick" 7 to 10 days before we cruise BECAUSE that means we can treat it and catch that small window when he is healthy, and leave to go on vacation, and he usually stays healthy while we are cruising...

Dont panic. Act as if you are going and make your decision after you see the doctor, on friday.

Everything will probably work out just fine!

Yes we do have travel insurance thank goodness so money is not really an issue it is just the dissappointment of maybe not getting to go and even more is worrying that if we do go what if she was not better and gets really sick...

Hi all, I was nervous about our first cruise with our 15 month old daughter and now I am ready to back out. We were at the clinic yesterday due to a very high fever and after some tests we have discovered our daughter has pneumonia :( I am so upset... Our Dr said there is a chance she will be good by the weekend and we have chest x-rays for Friday morning we are scheduled to fly out on Saturday morning. Me and my spouse do not know what to do I do not want to be out of the country if my daughter is not a 100%... any suggestions??

wolfchad.....

I am praying for your daughter's health.

Be Blessed,

I would wait till after you go to the doctor on Friday..since you luckily have the insurance you can wait to make that decision then.

That is why I always buy travel insurance...you just never know with children.

Exactly what I was thinking. See how she is on Friday then make your decision. I might also call the cruiseline and put them on notice :(

Exactly what I was thinking. See how she is on Friday then make your decision. I might also call the cruiseline and put them on notice :(

Good idea about giving them a notice...b/c then it would be easier to cancel if you did.

I hope and pray that she can get better :( I hate this time of year...I can't wait till the summer for all this sickness to go away.

When you say inform Carnival do you mean just let them know we may be backing out if she does not get better? Thanks to all who have wrote I wish there was just an easy answer of just stay home or go ahead :) Thanks.

When you say inform Carnival do you mean just let them know we may be backing out if she does not get better? Thanks to all who have wrote I wish there was just an easy answer of just stay home or go ahead :) Thanks.

Yes call Carnival and put them on alert. Back in August when I had a friend group cruise sailing with me, the son of one of my friends was actually diagnosed with a brain tumor (at 5 years old :eek: ) about 2 weeks before the cruise.

We called Carnival and told them that she *may* be cancelling for medical reasons. They said it was fine and gave her all of the info she would need to help with the insurance. She also called the insurance company.

She did end up cancelling because her son's surgery was scheduled immediatly and he would need to recover at home (he is doing VERY well now :) )

Since I have been through the travel insurance thing, make sure you get everything in writing. Contact the insurance company to find out the EXACT documents you need from the doctor.

good advice. I personally wouldn't travel with a child with pneumonia. That is nothing to play around with. If the doctor thinks that she is fit to travel by the time of the cruise- then go but given the fact that you have travel insurance... I wouldn't risk her having a relapse.

Read through the travel insurance to make sure that you are covered.

Kids tend to get better as quickly as they get sick and hopefully this will be the case with your daughter. I thought of a couple of things that you might want to do before you leave. Check your insurance to make sure that your daughter's illness will be covered on the trip. Many insurance companies will not cover any illness that a person has been under medical care for if it is within a 3 month time frame. If you do go I would suggest getting your doctor to write a prescription for a course of the appropriate antibiotics if it occurs again or if someone else in your family gets it while you are away.

Karysa

I pray to the dear Lord that your little one is better soon. Just as an aside, I was on a cruise last month, Celebrity Constellation, when an infant stopped breathing, and needed to be resusitated. Thankfully the doctors on board, and the pediatrician they brought on board from Aruba, did a great job. Apparently, the parents boarded the ship even though the child was ill. And BTW, before the doubting Thomas' come here to question this again like they did when I first posted about this happening, I know for a fact, first hand that this event did happen. I was standing next to the mother when she was talking on a phone, and she told the whole story of how sick her daughter was. So this really did happen, as I heard it from the mother herself.

I do hope your daughter gets well quickly and you can enjoy your cruise to the fullest.

I am not a doctor but I think it would be ill-advised to take a child recovering from pneumonia on a cruise. There is the airplane ride and changes in climate, changes in her schedule that might weaken her immune system.

If the insurance covers the cost of the cruise- try to reschedule at a later date. Better safe than sorry.

So sorry to hear this....after looking forward to a trip and then have an illness! Unless she is much, much, better and you feel 100% comfortable with it, I would reschedule. We traveled with our DD one time when the dr. told she should be better quickly, not to worry, and then the traveling made her much worse, and then she got dehydrated, and she had to be taken to a hospital in Mexico for outpatient treatment. Worst feeling ever - I will personally not take those chances again, even if it means having to reschedule and live with the disapointment. Fortunately, it all worked out o.k, but lesson learned. My prayers are with you - hope she is feeling much better quickly!

hope all goes well -but when my daughter had pneumonia (she was 8 years old so it could be very different)

it was a full month before she could go back to school full time-she had to work her way up to going full days

I do think she had a really bad case and such bad pains in her back when breathing

see what the doctor sees in the xrays and good luck with every thing

hope all goes well -but when my daughter had pneumonia (she was 8 years old so it could be very different)

it was a full month before she could go back to school full time-she had to work her way up to going full days

I do think she had a really bad case and such bad pains in her back when breathing

see what the doctor sees in the xrays and good luck with every thing

my son(9) had pneumonia in November 2007, it took him a good 10 days to feel better and another 2 weeks for the bad cough to go away. It took 3 days after the meds for the fever to go down.

I will be praying for you all.

If your child is not up to it ..You will not have any fun . Its hard on a kid to sleep and play in a new place . Even in good heath . We brought our twin girls on a trip when they were 13 months . We had a good time but it was so much work . The sleeping on the ship was hard and we booked 2 rooms with a open door between the rooms .

On the other Hand the Ship does have a doctor . We had to use the ships doctor twice . They twice as fast as the Doctor at home . So I would not be to concerned about the Med care that your child would get .

I am sad for you . I know you must be so ready for a vacation . Latly ask your Doctor at home what he thinks

No matter what- I'd postpone the trip. It isn't the end of the world. No sense in feeling worried. Life is too short and there is another cruise ship right around the corner.

In fact, sometimes things happen for a reason. Maybe the ship will have problems or the weather will be bad.

Just let the tot relax and get better and plan a cruise two months from now. At least the illness happened before the trip. That is a blessing.

I just wanted to thank everyone so much for the positive responses to our post. Today our daughter has a checkup to see how she is doing. Her temp has been normal for 3 days and she seems fine. We are going to tell the Dr we have travel ins and will not be out anything so be honest if she is not 100% sure we should take her we will not. Thanks again all!!

If your doctor gives the all clear to continue on your cruise, ask the doctor for an emergency supply of meds...especially an albuteral inhaler(with a spacer for a young child)... this can be used in a pinch if your childs breathing becomes wheezy. Or even better if the doctor would want to keep the child on daily nebulizer treatments while on vacation.

I would say listen to your Doctor and not what we on CC have to say. If he/she thinks that it would be OK and you are comfortable with that, then go. If you are not comfortable and/or he/she says no, then certainly don't go. You and your doctor definately know what will be best.

And I hope that your DD is feeling better soon and has good health from here on out.

I just wanted to thank everyone so much for the positive responses to our post. Today our daughter has a checkup to see how she is doing. Her temp has been normal for 3 days and she seems fine. We are going to tell the Dr we have travel ins and will not be out anything so be honest if she is not 100% sure we should take her we will not. Thanks again all!!

Crossing my fingers for you!!!

Let us know!

Thanks all!!!! I am soooo excited! The Dr said absolutly take her she is fine.... :D I am so excited we did tell our Dr that if she had 1% of doubt let us know because we have insurance and she said we should go so in less thank 48 hours we will be in Miami leaving on the Victory!! Thanks again for all the input take care.

Archived