Which snorkeling excursion should I do?

shutupandhug

I'll be on the Mariner of the Seas for the August 3rd, 2008 Eastern Caribbean cruise. Our ports of call include CocoCay, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. Out of the three, which has the best snorkeling/snorkeling excursions? I've already been snorkeling in CocoCay, so I'm definitely leaning toward trying somewhere new; I'm just not sure where yet! There seem to be tons of options on all three islands, so I have no idea what to pick! Does anyone have any tips/preferences that could help me out? Thanks!

In Oct 2006 my hubby and I snorkeled in St. Thomas and it was very nice. Not a ton of marine life, but fantastic coral, plants, and enough fish to gaze at. Took a catamaran out about 20 min and the whole experience was great. We booked through the ship (Adventure of the Seas), even though we rarely book ship excursions...we usually do our own. They let us spend a lot of time in the water. Can't remember who the capt was, but just google st. thomas snorkeling and you will find reputable operators. Hope this helps.

We just returned from a cruise on the Navigator and the snorkeling in Grand Cayman was amazing! Captain Marvin, at 92, is still going strong! Tami

I'll be on the Mariner of the Seas for the August 3rd, 2008 Eastern Caribbean cruise. Our ports of call include CocoCay, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. Out of the three, which has the best snorkeling/snorkeling excursions? I've already been snorkeling in CocoCay, so I'm definitely leaning toward trying somewhere new; I'm just not sure where yet! There seem to be tons of options on all three islands, so I have no idea what to pick! Does anyone have any tips/preferences that could help me out? Thanks!

Hi,

I've been to all three and I definitely recommend that if you are going to snorkel at one place make it St. Thomas. In St. Martin we took a cab over to Margot, the capital on the French side of the island and had a nice French lunch with shopping at all the little European-style shops. Very nice and a bit different than the usual Caribbean experience.

Randall

st. thomas .... you can also take a cab to coki beach in st. thomas, snorkel , go back to the ship, change and still have plenty of time for shopping.. there is also an excursion from the ship that takes 6 people per sailboat to buck island for snorkeling which is a lovely way to spend the day

Yes on St Thomas to snorkel. Or better yet, go over to St John- the snorkeling there is best in the Caribbean, IMO. We stopped there on our cruise in June/07; took a snorkel tour with Interlinesail out of the East End of the island. That snorkel tour was the best shore excursion of our trip- fish everywhere, and we saw a turtle and beautiful coral reefs. The day sail was the most fun, relaxing time we have ever spent on a boat. Whatever, you will love this port stop!

Thanks for your help, everyone! If I can convince my family, I definitely want to head over to St. John. If I can't, oh well; I'll be happy snorkeling in St. Thomas :)

I will add my 2 thumbs up to heading over to St. John for snorkeling...you won't regret the decision and it's really a pretty quick trip over. St. Martin is all about the beaches...especially on the French side!

Enjoy!

Archived