Single parent birth certificate question

Grannycb

First of all if the child has a passport there is no need to present a birth certificate to fly internationally. My son has a different last name than me and no airline has questioned that he is my child or asked me to present any evidence- domestically or internationally. They look at my son and say- what's your name and is this your mom?- sometimes.

Some cruise lines do ask if you have sole custody of the child. That is a different issue. In that case- having the birth certificate handy will make it obvious that the parent is the only legal guardian.

If it were me, I'd carry the birth certificate as well. If she's asked about the father it will be an easy way to avoid delays. I've been asked about my twins' father twice when entering the U.S. (never when leaving :confused: )and it's been helpful to just have a document to settle the question without any hassle.

Best,

Mia

My brother has had to prove to the cruise lines that he was allowed to travel with his kids without the mother, in other words, that he had custody and/or permission. He had a notarized note from the mother. Since the other parent isn't an issue in this case, so you don't have that type of letter, I'd bring the birth certificate to show you have the right to travel with the child.

I am a single mother with a three-year son. His biological father's name is not on his birth certificate. I have taken him on cruises to the Carribean and Canada without any issues either leaving or entering the US using his birth certificate. I have a passport but I haven't gotten him one yet (something I need to do soon).

Like the previous poster, I will probably continue to carry his birth certificate just to show that I am his sole parent. I know of other single parents who have carried court documents or other proof that they are their children's sole guardians, just in case. I honestly don't think too many people get questioned about it, but you never know.

Ginger

• 3 weeks later...

There are lots of reasons the father's name wouldn't appear on the birth certificate and most are super-personal. Please understand if the OP doesn't feel comfortable sharing this information.

We cruised together but I fly a lot alone with my three and have never been asked. Once though, they did run a check on me. Luckily, I didn't know until I was given the "okay to leave" the country. Yikes!

Better safe than sorry. Bring something to back up status as a sole parent.

When I took my son a few years ago, of whom I have physical custody, I had his dad write a quick letter stating it was OK to have him out of the country etc tec, and had that notarized. Since we are very cordial it was a no brainer just in case.. However I can tell you no one everr blinked an eye- despite our having different last names now.. But better safe than sorry.

If you have a concern I would contact the cruise line just to see wha they recommend as rules/ laws change all the time.

I would hate to see your vacation have hassles over this!! ENJOY!

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but why would a father's name not be on the birth certificate? Just curious.

Not a stupid question at all.

In my case, DD's biological father isn't on the birth certificate because 1) we weren't married when I got pregnant and 2) he took off before I had her.

So, yeah, stuff like that for the most part, I'd guess.

I am glad to hear that I shouldn't run into any problems due to it, though. I learned quickly that I should be thankful he pulled his disappearing act before he could legally bind DD to him.

Even though our little one travels with a passport (she's almost 17 months) we have been asked for her birth certificate when boarding (once). They wanted proof of who the parents were. We were advised to always carry her birth certificate with us (in Canada, we have two types of certificates -- the long form (which lists the parents) and the short form (which does not).

In my case, DD's biological father isn't on the birth certificate because 1) we weren't married when I got pregnant and 2) he took off before I had her.

I am glad to hear that I shouldn't run into any problems due to it, though. I learned quickly that I should be thankful he pulled his disappearing act before he could legally bind DD to him.

I too am a single parent. My son's father is not named on his borth certificate which actually turned out better for me. We have been on 3 cruises and are going on our 4th cruise this Sunday. I have never been questioned about his father, but I always carry his birth certificate with his passport just in case.

Hope you have fun on your trip:D

Does anyone know of problems when grandparents have custody? I have the letter from our attorney and a copy of the Judge's orders, but it's not notarized. We are applying for her passport tomorrow so she'll have that.

Also, she's 9. Opinions about me slipping out to grab a cup of coffee while she sleeps in the a.m.? I'm afraid room service would wake her. We've discussed it and I would leave a note with the time I left so she'd know I'd be back quickly. I do trust her not to open the door, and after crusing a lot I've never had anyone even knock when the do not disturb hanger is out.

Thanks for you input. I have depended on cruisecritic for many years!

Pat

I posted this response on another thread on this subject. I am attempting to cut and paste it here...I realize that the OP's situation is different but thought this might help someone..

I just wanted to add some information about passports and birth certificates. I am a travel agent and encountered this yesterday while making a reservation for clients. This family traveling is a blended family...dad, mom, dad's child from first marriage, mom's child from first marriage, and child together. Four of the five passengers have the same last name...the only one with a different last name is the mother's child from her first marriage. That child has her father's last name (as would usually be the case). The representative indicated that BOTH the mother and this child would need to bring Passport AND birth certificate so that the familial relationship could be established. Otherwise there is no official way to confirm that the child actually "belongs" to her. The mother's passport is now in her new married name. This is in addition to the notarized letter from the child's birth father allowing the mother to take the child out of the country that I had already advised them to get. The cruise line rep actually said there have been instances in which a child was denied boarding because the familial relationship couldn't be proven. This obviously does not address instances in which a child is traveling with friends and no parent...that's an entirely different topic.

Some might argue that this is overkill but it certainly makes sense. I hope this helps you make your decision.

Soccer Mom

Yes- if you don't bring along a birth certificate- there is no way for them to know if the you are the mother.

I go by my maiden name. My passport has always been in my maiden name. So the name on the birth certificate matches. If you are divorced and the passport is in your child's name- no problem. If you are remarried and the passport is in your new married name (different from your child) bring along a copy of your marriage license too.

I know it sounds like overkill but certain cruise lines have asked me for this information (the majority didn't) but I was glad I had it. Disney, NCL and Princess all asked for verification prior to my embarking. On the day of embarkation only NCL and Princess ever asked for documentation.

On my last few cruises- Royal Caribbean (Caribbean), Celebrity (Meditteranean) and Cunard (Transatlantic)- no one asked for documentation either ahead of time or on the day of embarkation. But I had a notorized letter from his father, a notorized copy of my divorce/custody agreement, the birth certificate and passports just to be on the safe side. Nothing is going to stop me from cruising!!!

My husband, daughter and I went on a cruise to Bahamas in 2005 with my side of the family and no one asked. Her last name was different than ours. We only needed BCs then. I was advised by the passport office and our TA that policy has changed. My hubby has since adopted my daughter and we all have the same name now, but he is not able to go on our Caribbean cruise this summer. We got passports and I had to show her new amended BC and her legal adoption and name change documents and was told that since he is not going with us we will need a NOTORIZED letter from him saying he is aware and gives me permission to take our daughter out of the country. They also suggested that in the same document that he also state that I and my parents and sister also have permission from him to authorize any medical treatment for her. My lawyer also put in language that they can travel with one of them on a shore excusion in case she wants to do something with one of them instead of me. Sounds paranoid, but every country has different policies and since we needed something notorized anyway we included all scenarios. Not much of an inconvienance for so much extra protection and clarity.

I just posted on another thread also - we were denied boarding an American Airlines flight to MExico because we did not have a notarized letter from my husband's ex that we had permission to take my step-daughters, and I did not have a copy of my daughter's birth father's death certificate.

After driving 45 min back home to get a copy of the death certificate, and have my husband's ex come to the airport to write and sign the letter, then find a notary at the airport on a Sunday morning (which is why I became a notary -never again), 6 hrs later, we were finally on our way and lost the first day of our vacation. When we got to MExico, no one asked for anything!

Anyway - it's a piece of paper, whether it's a certificate or a letter - better to have it and not need it than to chance spoiling the vacation. There are so many dependents (airline, cruiseline, passport control, destinations).. why chance it?

My brother has had to prove to the cruise lines that he was allowed to travel with his kids without the mother, in other words, that he had custody and/or permission. He had a notarized note from the mother. Since the other parent isn't an issue in this case, so you don't have that type of letter, I'd bring the birth certificate to show you have the right to travel with the child.

Ditto- as a divorced mother, I have been asked for a letter from my daughters father....also, i have heard that some cruiselines require a letter if the child is not travelling with both parents.

Yay for me- my daughter turned 18 last week- no more asking my Ex to be nice and sign the letter.....( I ALWAYS got one- airlines can be a pain, too..)

Sue

You're a good sport. I had to jump in there since one friend's daughter is the result of a visit to a sperm bank and while my dad's name is on my birth certificate, other aspects of my own family are far from traditional.

I'm from San Francisco so it's a no-brainer if someone has two Mommies or no father or whatever...alternate family situations are cool with us!

Go have a great time on that cruise!

You're a good sport. I had to jump in there since one friend's daughter is the result of a visit to a sperm bank and while my dad's name is on my birth certificate, other aspects of my own family are far from traditional.

I'm from San Francisco so it's a no-brainer if someone has two Mommies or no father or whatever...alternate family situations are cool with us!

Go have a great time on that cruise!

Thanks!

Yeah, we've got a pretty non-traditional family ourselves- and in the VERY traditional south, no less.

I made the decision years ago that to act like there's something wrong with how DD came about would be nearly the same as acting like there's something wrong with her... so, we don't, because there isn't.

We need to get passports- I'm assuming we'll have no problem there, either?

Archived