The Commodore on the beach?

emaksb

We stayed their pre-cruise about 2 or 3 years ago. It was chosen based on a good price at the time and they included free parking and shuttle to the port. It was nothing fancy but was adequate. Kind of odd design because the room had a brick inside wall. I would stay there again if the price was good.

David

• 2 weeks later...

The name is a bit misleading. It's not really on the beach but it does have a direct view of it. Most of the Galveston hotels are not actually on the beach. They are usually right on Seawall Blvd, which separates them (and is 4 lanes across) from the beach. You would have to go to the east end of the island to be on the beach, and there are some nice condos there (and they do have rental units). One called the Islander East and the much nicer Galvestonian. Both are on the beach. There's another motel on the beach not as far east, but it is a pretty old motel.

We have lived in the Galveston/Houston area for about 30 years and we go often to Galveston for the weekends so we've stayed in many hotels throughout the years. I would not recommend the Commodore. There are too many nice and newer hotels in the area. I am picky about where I stay but...I wouldn't stay there. There are also many condos located on the West end of Galveston, but there are so many hotels I probably wouldn't even fool with a condo for one night. You can always check the ratings for hotels on Expedia or Travelocity...go to www.galveston.com for more information on area hotels.

... we stayed there in 2006. Not exactly top of the line, but we got a good rate and they have a free shuttle to the boat, so you can leave your car there. The rooms then were less than 100, so the free parking pretty much made it worth it. If you're just sacking out overnight, it was an OK place.

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago. She lives in Burkburnette & goes for a break everyonce in awhile.

You can see the ocean, you can walk across the highway & sit on the beach. They have a pool & restaurants are close.

I am looking at booking there 1 night for my Sept cruise.

Only thing I need is a home base after some shopping & doing some laundry then spend the night.

If anyone finds better pricing than $120 & closer to shopping & laundry please let me know.

el tigre

Archived