Anyone done the "Bob" excursion?

debbiedebdoo

We are cruising on an 11 night Carribbean cruise on brilliance in February and I saw something that looked pretty fun for an excursion. It's like snorkeling underwater on a motor bike. It's called "Bob" Anybody done that before? Let me know how much you liked or didn't like it. :)

We did the underwater BOND (some places call it BOB Breathing Observational Bubble and others call it BOND Breathing Observational Nautical Device) in Cozumel. It's a self-contained underwater scooter.

You must go underwater briefly to get yourself seated and your head into the bubble. The bubble is always supplied with oxygen and remains completely dry at all times. It sounds a bit like an echo chamber. You can see all around you as you cruise at a depth of about 15 - 18 feet. As you desend, you must clear your ears and then you're home free.

You are seated and have handlebar type steering and there is a button to move forward and you may turn left and right. Just give the button a push and you begin moving forward and you may turn left and right.

We thought the excursion was very nice. It's a unique device and it is doubtful you'll have many opportunities like this.

After our adventure the BOND boat had a lunch onboard and an unlimited open bar. We cruised around for about an hour and a half eating and drinking and having a great time. We recommend this trip - it's a blast.

I'd like to do this with my 13 and 16 year old kids. Are there any dangers I should be aware of?? Can the bubble fill with water or fail to fill with oxygen? Sorry, I'm a worrier. Had a great time on the Atlantis sub, but worried the whole time of all the potential dnagers!:o

...not to worry...I Bobbed with my then 13 yr old daughter. They have you complete a med form on the ship....one concern was asthma or other breathing disorders. If healthy there's no problem. One problem I personally had was my size...6' 3" and a tad overweight had me feeling just a little large for the "bob mobile". Definitely unique. There are guides for each small group of guests...they'll take your picture with your underwater camera...SO BRING ONE! Go for it. nick

I did the BOB in St Thomas last year. I'm a 60 year old grandmom with diabetes and high blood pressure. This was by far the most fun of anything I did on the entire cruise.

I liked it so much, that I am doing the BOND in Cozumel in November, and I can't wait.

You will all love it.

We had a great group on the BOB excursion last year. I was the lucky one, with the FAST scooter! LOL

Only troubles were as someone mentioned - if you are tall it's a tighter fit, but not impossible. We were all shapes and sizes, some fairly claustophobic and everyone had a blast! We also got to snorkel before hand, and that was great seeing lots of marine life.

You can go, and change your mind - but you won't get a refund, just a boat trip.

Have fun!

Carol

Archived