Port of Monte Carlo - dock there?

hollyanna

Hi. If it says Monte Carlo in the itinary does it mean you actually dock there so can walk off into the town or is another port used? I am looking at 10th October 2008 14 night on Ventura.Thanks for your help in advance. Hollyanna

Hi. If it says Monte Carlo in the itinary does it mean you actually dock there so can walk off into the town or is another port used? I am looking at 10th October 2008 14 night on Ventura.Thanks for your help in advance. Hollyanna

That will be the port you stop at (unless P+O have changed the way they label their itinerary) - if they used a different port, they would likely put "Monte Carlo (from xxxx)" as in "Rome from Civitavecchia"

However, in 2004 on Oceana when we stopped at Monte Carlo, we did not actually dock there - it was an anchor port, the ship anchored in the bay and we had to take a tender to the dock itself.

However, looking at the first Ventura cruise I could find that included Monte Carlo (Ventura Cruise N817), the little anchor symbol indicating a tender port is not there, so that may have changed!

Karen

Hi Hollyanna

I am booked on the same cruise. If you look in the P&O brochure, there is an anchor symbol against Monte Carlo indicating that this is a tender port, so the ship will anchor in the bay and you will be taken into Monte Carlo by ships tender. Not normally a problem although it takes a little longer than walking down the gangway.

Elba is also a tender port. For some reason these are not identified on the website itinery.

Brian

• 2 months later...

CCrystal - thanks for that information. It will be awesome if Ventura docks their too... even if we have to tender, that is also ok as it is still Monte Carlo we get to rather than having to get transport from Villefranche. Thanks again for taking the time to post the pix, Hollyanna:)

I've just looked at the google-earth photograph of Monte Carlo, and it doesn't show the new berth that Oceana is moored up to.:eek:

However, a quick check of the 2006 Monte Carlo marine chart for the port shows a nice long (350m) berth with deep water (40m) on both sides. So the google earth pic is old...

Archived