For those of you who requested a table for 2...

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

Since our NCL cruise, we have requested a table for two. Both times we went at @ 1PM to the main dining room and waited to talk to the Maitre 'D. Both times they were able to find us a table. We did not tip then, but at the end of the cruise. Both times, the Maitre 'D came to our table most nights to ask how we were doing. Maybe it's because he knew we had changed.(?):confused:

I'm also curious about this. Anyone have an answer? ;)

I have always tipped when he has given me a table for 2 on the Paradise since he is putting us at a 4 top alone. I also tip the waitstaff extra because they possibly could have had 4 people sitting at the table. I give $10 for a 4 day cruise. I don't know if I'd give as much if there were plenty of 2 tops to give out.

Yes I agree. This is the one aspect of cruising I really dislike. Not everyone is a social chatterbox that likes to be seated with strangers!

As a suggestion, if you go to the dining room for breakfast or lunch, request a 'private' table or you will be seated with others. My wife and I found this out a couple of years ago when we ended up sitting with strangers for a breakfast. they were nice, but way to chatty for me. Especially since I wanted a quiet breakfast with my wife!:)

I didn't think they would allow you to have a private table at lunch. That would make things MUCH better.

I also don't understand why they can't take requests for table size. Just like the time, it would be a request only and if we didn't get it, then we could assume that at least they tried to get us our first choice. We have always wanted a table for two and on the last several cruises we have mostly had tables of 8 and 10, with a couple of exceptions. I am going to ask for a private table this time, but it's not likely because we are on the Fantasy.

I'm also curious about this. Anyone have an answer? ;)

My husband had a $20 out and ready when we approached the maitre'd. The maitre'd was very accomodating and we were switched to a lovely table for 2. If was our first cruise so I don't know if that is what made the difference or not but it was worth it to us.

Thanks Tom! I'll be sure to get on early and check when the maitre'd starts accepting table changes. You know, when I sailed on Carnival's sister line, Holland America, they took our dining and seating preferences during the booking process. We got what we wanted and didn't have to get in line to make any changes. I wish Carnival would do this too.

You can indeed make your seating preference known when doing your booking. Don't let them tell you that you can't. We always do. When I booked our next cruise last week, the PVP said she couldn't do it, and I let her know that you can...she checked and found out that you indeed can, she just didn't know it! If you booked directly with Carnival, anyone can make that request for you. Of course nothing is guaranteed until you get your sail and sign card, but we've always gotten what we asked for.

I disagree.

There's nothing to disagree with. Computer systems can only process data fields they are told to process, in ways they are told to process them. That's what makes automation so consistent -- and also so inflexible. Sometimes infuriatingly inflexible. Particularly from the standpoint of someone who wants what is seemingly a trivial deviation.

From the outside looking in, as a guy who does this sorta thing for a living, the symptoms indicate to me a user interface which does not have a specific data field to store what you requested be stored. And if the can't store it, they can't automatedly process it. If they can't automate it, they can't model a best-fit algorithm for dining table-size preferences.

I'll grant you that there is undoubtedly a whole slew of text field to store various other bits of stuff -- there is even in the DoD stuff I work with, where no one is concerned for even a second whether the cargo is satisfied with its accomodations or the war plan prefers a later wake-up.

But if the user using that user-interface wasn't aware that these text fields were to be used for jotting down notes on table size preference for the customer it becomes a training issue [first], and [second] to the degree that the table size wishes are being accomodated, it's a manual intervention into the automated scheduling of their current best-fit seating algorithm.

They're going to avoid manual intervention into automation at every turn -- slows everything wa-a-a-ay down -- and the best bet to incorporate seating preferences is to have lots of us who want it to pester them and fill out those forms at the end of the cruise saying so.

Cuz I'm with you. I like the bigger tables where I can listen to others describing their day and experiences, and practice my own cruise anecdotes for when I get home.

There's nothing to disagree with. Computer systems can only process data fields they are told to process, in ways they are told to process them. That's what makes automation so consistent -- and also so inflexible. Sometimes infuriatingly inflexible. Particularly from the standpoint of someone who wants what is seemingly a trivial deviation.

From the outside looking in, as a guy who does this sorta thing for a living, the symptoms indicate to me a user interface which does not have a specific data field to store what you requested be stored. And if the can't store it, they can't automatedly process it. If they can't automate it, they can't model a best-fit algorithm for dining table-size preferences.

I'll grant you that there is undoubtedly a whole slew of text field to store various other bits of stuff -- there is even in the DoD stuff I work with, where no one is concerned for even a second whether the cargo is satisfied with its accomodations or the war plan prefers a later wake-up.

But if the user using that user-interface wasn't aware that these text fields were to be used for jotting down notes on table size preference for the customer it becomes a training issue [first], and [second] to the degree that the table size wishes are being accomodated, it's a manual intervention into the automated scheduling of their current best-fit seating algorithm.

They're going to avoid manual intervention into automation at every turn -- slows everything wa-a-a-ay down -- and the best bet to incorporate seating preferences is to have lots of us who want it to pester them and fill out those forms at the end of the cruise saying so.

Cuz I'm with you. I like the bigger tables where I can listen to others describing their day and experiences, and practice my own cruise anecdotes for when I get home.

OK, Now I agree. :) I'm Easy.

Archived