Tipping at B & Bs

vbmom87

Are the tipping guidelines for B & Bs the same as hotels? Do you leave the tip in the room, or do you give it directly to the hosts?

In hotels I usually leave my tip each day, rather than a lump sum at the end. I figure if I leave a lump sum, it may go to someone who only cleaned my room that one day.

With a B & B would you just leave the tip on the last day? That is what I am thinking.

I tried doing searches but came up with nothing regarding B & Bs.

I work part-time at a B&B to help friends and no tip is solicited or even expected. It's certainly not common in my experience.

Do you work in a Vancouver B & B? I did some further searches on Google and it seems like if the hosts hire people to help with the cleaning you should tip them. However, your experience speaks otherwise. I guess I will ask the B & B where I am staying what is customary at their B & B.

No, I'm on the east coast. I could be out of the loop - but I don't think tipping B&B's is customary in Canada.

This is from a tipping etiquette guide:

"Many, if not most B&Bs have a no-tipping policy in the US and Canada. In other countries it varies. It never hurts to tip, but it is definitely not expected, and many B&Bs specifically ask that you do not. Most are family owned and the price they charge covers everything."

I own and run a B&B. Normal tipping etiquette says that you never tip the owner. If the person who cleans your room is hired help, then you may tip them by leaving some money, but it is generally never solicited.

I should also mention that is inappropriate to leave your pennies, in Canada leaving pennies is often considered an insult to signify that you did not enjoy the service.

I don't know why American guests do this. I will come into the room after a week to find that they have dumped all their pennies on the counter. We have never had this with fellow Canadians or with our European guests.

I own and run a B&B. Normal tipping etiquette says that you never tip the owner. If the person who cleans your room is hired help, then you may tip them by leaving some money, but it is generally never solicited.

I should also mention that is inappropriate to leave your pennies, in Canada leaving pennies is often considered an insult to signify that you did not enjoy the service.

I don't know why American guests do this. I will come into the room after a week to find that they have dumped all their pennies on the counter. We have never had this with fellow Canadians or with our European guests.

Sorry to hear about the penny dumping. I am an American and it is not something I have known anyone to do. I surely never do.

Archived