Luggage Tags, RCL Bus and e-Docs

LogansDad

Hi folks -

Last year my family and I took a cruise on the NCL Dawn. We took the NCL bus from Boston to the pier in NYC. Since we had luggage tags sent to us in our documents this is how it worked: we put the tags on the luggage prior to boarding the bus in Beantown; when we got off the bus at the pier we checked in and embarked without even thinking about the luggage - it was transferred from the bus to the ship without any intervention from us.

This year, we are sailing RCL VOS. We are taking RCL's bus from Boston to Bayonne. We got e-docs instead of paper docs. (From what I've read on these boards most folks get the e-docs these days from RCL.) The procedure, it seems, is to check the luggage at the pier and they will tag bags at that point. So I guess when the bus takes us to the pier we need to get off, wait for our luggage to be unloaded from the bus, then get the bags tagged (prior to check in? or they give you the tags as part of check-in? Meaning we have to schlep the bags through checking in and security scan? :rolleyes: ).

This all sounds more complicated than it has to be if they'd just mail tags in the first place (Aside: Yea, I know, it saves RCL money in theory... though like many 'cost savings' companies make these days they don't save as much as they think and just transfers work from them to the customer, creating an undesirable customer experience.)

I did read on these boards how some folks print out tags from the e-docs and attach those to the bags prior to getting to the pier. I've taken the e-docs tags, enlarged them and printed them out on my ink jet and am thinking about using them at the pier. Being as they are thin printer paper rather than thicker stock, though, I'm sure one bit of jostling by a porter or steward and the tags will rip off, so I'm re-thinking. Should I go to the trouble of making thicker tags, laminate them, etc? Or just take the extra step at the pier of waiting for the bus to unload and tag them then?

I'd like to hear from folks who have successfully taken the e-docs and made tags. Did it save time at the pier? Was it worth it? Did they stay on the luggage and how? I'd especially like to hear from folks who have taken RCL busses to the pier.

BTW, the reason I'm trying to minimize pier-time logistics is that my young daughter is disabled (in a wheelchair) and we have enough to deal with without having to carry luggage around and get it tagged at a crowded pier.

[RCL, if you're listening, for crying out loud just mail tags to people :( . I'm a director of e-commerce at a Fortune 10. I know the benefits of e-docs and accept their adoption in most ways. But this is a case where people really do need PHYSICAL, tangible things. At least have the option of allowing customers to pay an extra $5 to get real docs with real tags.]

Thanks to all you terrific CC'ers in advance,

jim

I would STRONGLY suggest that you do not wait until arrival at the port before you tend to the luggage tags. The idea presented by the previous poster about laminating the e-tags sounds very sensible to me.

I just returned on Sunday (9/19) from the VOS 9-nite Caribbean, traveling from Hartford to the pier via RCCL bus. I had regular tags rather than e-tags. On these boards I had read that upon reaching the port and waiting until my luggage was unloaded by the bus driver, I would identify it for a porter, who would then transport it to our stateroom. This is NOT the way it worked.

As I got off the bus and awaited the unloading of luggage, the bus driver told me to just go ahead and enter the terminal, that my luggage would be delivered to my stateroom. As he was telling me this, I noted a perplexed woman with an orange vest (indicating a porter?) who didn't seem to understand why he was telling me this. She asked me if there was a group leader on the bus, a question I could not answer, as I was alone. To sum up, I think there was a mix-up between the bus driver and the porters. In my case, the luggage did get to the room with no problem.

However, this is just one variety of mix-up that can occur. In your case, in view of your daughter's being in a wheelchair, you'd want to avoid ANY kind of mixup, and I believe the best way to achieve this is to have your tags on your luggage before you board the bus. Also, perhaps on entering the bus, you might ask the bus driver what the luggage procedure will be at the port.

Best of luck to you -- happy cruising to you and your family. ML :)

[RCL, if you're listening... At least have the option of allowing customers to pay an extra $5 to get real docs with real tags.]

Hi Jim,

I know it's a bit late for you this cruise since you leave in 3 days, but RCI will issue paper docs for a $35 (I believe) fee. Good luck at the pier. :)

On a different note, have you seen the 10 night Caribbean itinerary being offered on Jewel of the Seas next year? Bermuda, St. Maarten, Tortola & Labadee. Just a little something for you to ponder.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I took the e-Docs tags, printed them and had Kinko's laminate them. Tomorrow I'll punch holes in them and attach. Maybe I don't need them but I'll feel better with them on!

I'll let folks know how it goes.

Thanks!

jim

Archived