Help! South America ...

auntdot

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some help making a decision on South America. We are thinking of Buenos Aires to Valparaiso (including Falklands) and have been looking at Celebrity Infinity, Radiance of the Seas, or Star Princess.

The itineraries are similar: Celebrity & RCI are 14 days vs 12 day on Princess. Is one month better than another? Jan? Feb? Mar? April?

Celebrity usually has a naturalist on board to describe the natural beauty - does Princess, RCI? Infinity has had pod problems in the past but I'm not aware of anything like that on the others.

So I am really asking for others to share experiences to help us weigh the pros and cons of each cruise ship.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dot

Dot,

After much research, I chose the Radiance of the Seas Valparaiso to Buenos Aires February 1, 2009. There will be 20 of us - family and friends. I have heard that the Falklands stop is often a problem due to weather conditions, so it is not included in this itinerary.

What I am finding interesting is how little info is available here on CruiseCritic on the South American board. When we did the Med cruise in 2006, I couldn't have chosen all the private tours or figured out all the nuances involved with that 2-week trip had it not been for CruiseCritic.

I also noticed that the Meet & Mingle's for these cruises has very little activity.

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy. In the end we decided on Princess as my DH really wants to get to the Falklands! Sure hope the weather cooperates!

Enjoy your cruise - and I'll look forward to reading about it before we go!

Dot

Auntdot, you might consider stepping up to Oceania. While the price point is slightly higher, the service and food quality are apparently much higher.

While RCI remains our "go to" cruise line, Oceania is our "dream to" cruise line. Currently comparing Radiance vs Insiginia for Feb 2009.

February is Carnival time in Rio and the Radiance will be there for 3 nights. Insignia much smaller ship, port intensive cruise. Can't decide.

Trying Oceanis this Fall in Mediterranean to find out. So many cruises so little time (and money). ;)

Archived