Dawn Balcony Cabin Question

jsfofec

We'll be taking our first Alaskan cruise this July (DW, DD and MIL) and I was wondering if the Balcony rooms can sleep 3. We always book 2 cabins, one for our DD (she's 7) and MIL and the other for us, however our DD usually sleeps with us. Previously on the Crown Princess this wasn't a problem since we had a mini-suite, but now with a much smaller balcony cabin, I'm not sure we'll be able to sleep 3. Our cabin is C339. Do you think we would be able to fit a 3rd person in there, or would we be climbing over each other?

C339 on the Dawn shows a double balcony cabin. Not sure if you realize this but there will be no sofa in the cabin like you had in the mini suite. It is more like a small bedroom with a dressing table, one desk chair, one upholstered chair and a small round table. In other words, there is no third bed in this cabin. If you ask, they might be able to bring in a roll away bed (if one happens to be available) BUT, that will take up almost all available floor space and block access to your balcony until it is folded up each morning as the only place to put it is directly in front of the balcony door. There just isn't a lot of extra space in balcony cabins, especially on the Sun Class ships.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the floor plan and saw that there is only a chair or two. I was hoping they would have one of those beds that fold up into the wall or something.

You still might be able to change to a triple cabin (I haven't looked so not sure if they even have triples on the Sun Class), even if booking for just the two of you. I would check the deck plans as suggested and see if any are available. But one word of caution, do not, under any circumstances, book a quad balcony cabin on this class of ship. There have been many discussions on CC about how terrible the layout is in the quads. AND, they are 4 twin bunks not combineable to a queen but afixed to the side walls. Those that have had them have posted it was one of the worst cabins they had ever seen in their entire lives. Also, there are pictures posted on CC of the quads if you need a visual aide.

Edited-I just did a quick check, and although sometimes it is very difficult to see the little triangle on these new deck plans, I don't see any triple balcony cabins available on the Dawn. Maybe I am missing them, but I can't seem to find any at all.

I also went to another site and put in two adults and one child for cabin category availability. It seems that triples are offered for inside and outside cabins, and mini suites only on this ship. At least that is what it is showing. Sorry!

Another idea. Since your child is only 7 years old, you could always pack a blow up air mattress for her to sleep on in your cabin. I know, not the ideal way to do this having her sleep on the floor, but it might be your only salvation if she refuses to sleep in the other cabin. The room steward will supply pillows, sheets and blankets if you need them. And the air mattress won't take up as much room as the roll away bed would and might still allow you access to your balcony while the child is sleeping. Just a thought!

Another idea. Since your child is only 7 years old, you could always pack a blow up air mattress for her to sleep on in your cabin. I know, not the ideal way to do this having her sleep on the floor, but it might be your only salvation if she refuses to sleep in the other cabin. The room steward will supply pillows, sheets and blankets if you need them. And the air mattress won't take up as much room as the roll away bed would and might still allow you access to your balcony while the child is sleeping. Just a thought!

Thanks for the tips, an air mattress just might work. I also tried checking cabins by choosing 3 people, but there was no balcony cabins available for 3.

Knowing my daughter, I'll end up on the floor! I know I don't want to share a room with my MIL :eek:

Archived