What do yu do with your passport while in port?

sassafrass

I'm with Sheri18 - I'm going on two excursions involving water and I'm one of those "always keep it with me when I'm off the ship people". We actually just ordered two waterproof pouches you can attach to your waist or wear around your neck that holds your passports (and credit cards and cash if you want). We ordered them from Dick's Sporting Goods, a national chain, right off their website. Go to www.dickssportinggoods.com and you can find them there. We got the 8 inch by 5 inch ones, it specified to fit passports.

We take our originals with us and have copies in our state room and available on the internet via personal online storage.

I always wonder how folks plan to get the copies from the safe of the ship they just missed? Granted the ships crew can access your safe and mail them to you from the next port, but what will you do until then? Do people assume the crew will access your safe before they sail away without you and toss your passports onto the pier? :confused: That never has made any sense at all to me, but many cruisers do it.....:D

We just got off the Ecstasy (late) on Monday:D

When we got to port (Cozumel) and they made the announcement that the ship had been cleared and people could go ashore, they did say, to "Remember to take your Sign&Sail card *AND* your PassPort with you"

So, I guess even the CruiseLine thinks you should carry it with you.

Besides if your PP gets stolen chances your S&S card will too, and Good Luck getting back on the ship anyway :p

We have been on a few cruises with Carnival in particular and have been at the port talks and when a passenger has asked about ID for a particular port the answer has always been the same S&S and drivers license. If the cruise line makes that announcement what happens to thousands of passengers that sail every week with just a birth certificate and drivers license? I guess the recommendation is to stay on the ship.

We leave in a couple of days and will make sure to pay particular attention to the announcements. Also I looked back at the capers for past cruises and for the ports: "For gangway security make sure you have your S&S and photo ID with you" There is no mention of a passport.

I don't understand the scare tactic's that some use when it comes to passports etc. If you lose your S&S in a port upon re entering the ship they look up your account and match the picture you took boarding the ship to you and re issue another S&S card.

If you are more comfortable carrying a passport then do so but why try scaring others into carrying it?

I don't understand the scare tactic's that some use when it comes to passports etc. If you lose your S&S in a port upon re entering the ship they look up your account and match the picture you took boarding the ship to you and re issue another S&S card.

If you are more comfortable carrying a passport then do so but why try scaring others into carrying it?

Except at the ports where you can't get by port security without showing your S&S card and ID... my parents accidentally left their S&S cards in my bag and I went ahead in Costa Maya and someone had to come track me down on the ship because the guys with oozies weren't going to let them step foot on the pier without it :eek: So I would hold on tight to those S&S cards, especially in those ports that it is required to gain entry to the pier.

My point was that some people are saying they don't carry their passports because they might lose it, or have it stolen... so they just take ID and credit card... but to me, it seems easier to lose an ID and CC than a passport... mine was just a question about how one is easier to lose than the other.

hello........they stamp my passport when we return to the country via an airport.......;)

I have flown in and out many times. Never, never had my PP stamped coming into my home country. Nor have my children or anyone I (personally) been traveling with.

Scare them into it? I don't see anyone trying to scare people into carrying them, but if the main concern is having them lost or stolen, it would seem to be more convenient to leave them at home and just cruise with DL and BC. I just don't understand the purpose of leaving the original in a safe you won't have access to if you miss the ship, when the only purpose for them on a cruise is to get to the next port or fly home if you miss the ship. It's like leaving your spare car key at home in case you loose your car keys; how're you going to get home?

Nobody will argue with you that gangway security only checks your S&S card and photo ID; but if that's your point then what is your point? Your passport is your license to travel from country to country. A picture of your passport is nice to have to identify it as yours if you lose it, but it won't get you on a plane leaving a country nor will it grant you permission to enter this country upon your return. If you loose your passport, S&S, and DL, Carnival will still be able to identify you and let you back on board the ship and give you a new S&S card. You can then apply for a new passport once you return to US soil. No problem there. It's all about the 'what ifs' and if you are comfortable carrying pictures of yours then by all means carry them. :) If we see you running down the pier as we're out to sea, we'll take a picture of you and have the crew put a copy with your passport when they mail it to you from the next port. :eek: :D

KEEP YOUR PASSPORT in your POCKET while out of the country/off the ship

I agree... you are in a different country. Your passport should be on your body.

While we're on the ship, it stays in the safe, but while we are in port, it is with us at all times.

Scare them into it? I don't see anyone trying to scare people into carrying them, but if the main concern is having them lost or stolen, it would seem to be more convenient to leave them at home and just cruise with DL and BC. I just don't understand the purpose of leaving the original in a safe you won't have access to if you miss the ship, when the only purpose for them on a cruise is to get to the next port or fly home if you miss the ship. It's like leaving your spare car key at home in case you loose your car keys; how're you going to get home?

Nobody will argue with you that gangway security only checks your S&S card and photo ID; but if that's your point then what is your point? Your passport is your license to travel from country to country. A picture of your passport is nice to have to identify it as yours if you lose it, but it won't get you on a plane leaving a country nor will it grant you permission to enter this country upon your return. If you loose your passport, S&S, and DL, Carnival will still be able to identify you and let you back on board the ship and give you a new S&S card. You can then apply for a new passport once you return to US soil. No problem there. It's all about the 'what ifs' and if you are comfortable carrying pictures of yours then by all means carry them. :) If we see you running down the pier as we're out to sea, we'll take a picture of you and have the crew put a copy with your passport when they mail it to you from the next port. :eek: :D

The point here is that some things are more desirable to be stolen. One of those high value items is a passport. I have had one stolen and can tell you it was not fun. I had to miss a business trip over it and to this day I know it was because I used it for ID when it was not necessary.

The scare tatics I am referring too is the announcements made by the cruise line to make sure you have your passport with you when you leave the ship. Like I said there are thousands of people each week sailing without a passport.

The scare tatics I am referring too is the announcements made by the cruise line to make sure you have your passport with you when you leave the ship. Like I said there are thousands of people each week sailing without a passport.

Not for long.

(and for the record they would no more let you on a plane with a copy of your pp then they would let you drive with a copy of your DL)

Yes it *used to be* that most people cruised/traveled with only a BC (as proof of residency) and a Picture ID. However, now you may not fly out of the country without a valid PP> Its that simple.

I posted this a while back and thought I would share it again. We would have been up the creek if we had left our passport on the ship. We never leave without them and it paid off.

We were in Belize City sailing on NCL almost two years ago and was robbed at gunpoint. By the time we filed a report with the police (so we could file a homeowner’s insurance claim for stolen camera equipment), we missed the ship. We had to catch a flight to Cancun and that ended up being an adventure. The only flight we could get went to Mexico City first and then to Cuba. Once we arrived in Havana we had an 11 hour layover. That ended up being the highlight of our trip and that excursion only cost us about $115.00 each(wonder what it would have cost if we booked aboard the ship?). Cuba was great! (after we got over the fear factor of being there). Everything was so cheap! All that Spanish that my wife took for fun paid off and many of the people spoke English. BTW, all three of us had passports that we were wearing under our shirts and that not only saved us but allowed us to leave that airport in while in Cuba. You have the option to having your passport stamped or not as they like American tourist and do not want to cause them any problems re-entering the USA.

Well, we missed our day in Cancun but made the ship and will never regret it. In June, we flew to Mexico City and took a flight back to Cuba, stayed a week and had a blast. Once your there everything is very reasonable and if you like to shop, you will find lots of bargains.

Not for long.

(and for the record they would no more let you on a plane with a copy of your pp then they would let you drive with a copy of your DL)

Yes it *used to be* that most people cruised/traveled with only a BC (as proof of residency) and a Picture ID. However, now you may not fly out of the country without a valid PP> Its that simple.

First of all there are passengers that fly back to the U.S. without a passport. If your passport was lost or stolen it's a simple matter of calling the State Department and having them fax a temporary travel authorization to the airline. My DW is a flight attendant that flies international. She has had several occasions were passengers that did just that and they were the last to get off the plane upon arrival the passengers had to me meet with customs.

There are still a lot of cruise passengers that sail everyday with out a passport in the Caribbean. Also if all the cruising you are ever going to do is in the Caribbean I guess you never heard of the Passcard.

I posted this a while back and thought I would share it again. We would have been up the creek if we had left our passport on the ship. We never leave without them and it paid off.

We were in Belize City sailing on NCL almost two years ago and was robbed at gunpoint. By the time we filed a report with the police (so we could file a homeowner’s insurance claim for stolen camera equipment), we missed the ship. We had to catch a flight to Cancun and that ended up being an adventure. The only flight we could get went to Mexico City first and then to Cuba. Once we arrived in Havana we had an 11 hour layover. That ended up being the highlight of our trip and that excursion only cost us about $115.00 each(wonder what it would have cost if we booked aboard the ship?). Cuba was great! (after we got over the fear factor of being there). Everything was so cheap! All that Spanish that my wife took for fun paid off and many of the people spoke English. BTW, all three of us had passports that we were wearing under our shirts and that not only saved us but allowed us to leave that airport in while in Cuba. You have the option to having your passport stamped or not as they like American tourist and do not want to cause them any problems re-entering the USA.

Well, we missed our day in Cancun but made the ship and will never regret it. In June, we flew to Mexico City and took a flight back to Cuba, stayed a week and had a blast. Once your there everything is very reasonable and if you like to shop, you will find lots of bargains.

Interesting story, I am glad things worked out well for you. (Has me wanting to go to Cuba now) I wonder what your story would have been had you not had your passport.

No scare tactic at all. It just comes down to how easy do you want to get home in the event you miss the ship.

Many years ago, my husband lost his passport in Europe. (not on a cruise) He had a copy of his passport in his wallet. Turns out a copy of your passport is the exact same thing as not having one. He did get home but it was an expensive and frustrating lesson. I wound up having to leave him there and fly home alone while he was still awaiting a reissue.

With a passport, go to the airport, get on a plane, go home.

Without a passport on your person, oh my, I feel for you.

Without a passport at all you will still make it home but I can't even imagine the nightmare that would be.

To the op, I carry it in a waterproof pouch with a string that goes around my neck and I keep it under my clothes. I have no chance of loosing it and should I be robbed, there is less chance it will be taken.

Every sine I have been reading these boards I have wondered where the idea of leaving your passport on the ship and take a copy came from. All a copy does is says yes I do have a passport, but that is the only thing it is good for. Without the actually passport in your hand, you are in for some frustrating dealings and it will be in their own sweet time no matter what issues you are having.

It boggles my mind that someone would go to the trouble of getting the passport and then see no reason to autually carry it with them while in a foreign country.

You can make your own call in the end. As long as you make the ship, there will be no problem.

I always wonder how folks plan to get the copies from the safe of the ship they just missed? Granted the ships crew can access your safe and mail them to you from the next port, but what will you do until then? Do people assume the crew will access your safe before they sail away without you and toss your passports onto the pier? :confused: That never has made any sense at all to me, but many cruisers do it.....:D

My TA and a friend were drinking in a bar in Cozumel. They almost missed the ship because of confusion with ship time/port time (and we haven't let her live it down!)

The ran to the ship and JUST made it back on board. But in the mean time, the ships security went into their cabin, and since the friend's passport was OUT of the safe, they gave it to the port agent to give it to the friend. The TA's passport was in the safe, so they did not have it.

If they had missed the ship, the friend would have had his passport, the TA would not.

We have been on a few cruises with Carnival in particular and have been at the port talks and when a passenger has asked about ID for a particular port the answer has always been the same S&S and drivers license. If the cruise line makes that announcement what happens to thousands of passengers that sail every week with just a birth certificate and drivers license? I guess the recommendation is to stay on the ship.

On our last 2 cruises, the CD has announced at the port talks NOT to take you passport on shore with you because of the risk of theft.

But I agree with other posters that it is everyone's decision to make on their own. I know I keep my safe, hidden, protected, so that it is not a target for theft.

First of all there are passengers that fly back to the U.S. without a passport. If your passport was lost or stolen it's a simple matter of calling the State Department and having them fax a temporary travel authorization to the airline. My DW is a flight attendant that flies international. She has had several occasions were passengers that did just that and they were the last to get off the plane upon arrival the passengers had to me meet with customs.

There are still a lot of cruise passengers that sail everyday with out a passport in the Caribbean. Also if all the cruising you are ever going to do is in the Caribbean I guess you never heard of the Passcard.

While your DW may have had passengers travel this way, I dare say she has never seen how NOT SIMPLE it is to have this done.

You give the impression you just call the state dept up and say you have lost your passport and they rush over to the fax machine and you are on your way. In reality, that is not how these things work at all. Unless things have really changed, you are looking at days of frustration. It took my husband 5 days and that was before homeland security. I am pretty sure that little event has not speeded things up.

Good point Judy.

I would hate for the OP (or anyone else) to get the impression that they 'dont really need a passport to fly (and soon cruise) in and out of the US'

I have always carried mine. Even when going on land based vacations out of the US. And have never had a problem. I dont carry it in my hand or use it as ID when using a Credit Card, but I have it to PROVE that I am a US citizen and (GodForbid) anyone is out of the country and we have another attack, I bet its not going to be 'as simple as a phone call' to get home with out a PP>

They have made the regulations that you must have one to come and go internationally, I am so amazed when people (try to) lead others to believe that they are not necessary to get home.

As others have said, the OP asked 'what do *you* do with your pp' Several of us have answered we carry them on our person when out of the country, off the ship. If you are completely comfortable not carring yours then by all means leave it in the safe or at home or in the bank lock box or where ever you feel it is safe, as for me and my family we feel safest having it with us.

JMO/YMMV

I have flown in and out many times. Never, never had my PP stamped coming into my home country. Nor have my children or anyone I (personally) been traveling with.

I think it depends on which airport you enter and which agent you have. We've come in thru JFK, O'Hare, BWI and PHL and it's been hit or miss on getting our PP's stamped when reentering the country. We've had our PP's stamped in some places and the agent next to us did not stamp someone else's.

The best stamp we have for reentering the US is from Shannon Airport in Ireland, you do your passport control for reentry before you get on the plane. This was in 2004.

Interesting story, I am glad things worked out well for you. (Has me wanting to go to Cuba now) I wonder what your story would have been had you not had your passport.

No scare tactic at all. It just comes down to how easy do you want to get home in the event you miss the ship.

This happened late in the day and we would have had to wait until the next day for the American embassy to open. It would have worked out but we would have had to fly back to the states and claim our things in Houston once the ship arrived. Also, both planes to Cancun were booked the next day or we would have taken that route.

This happened late in the day and we would have had to wait until the next day for the American embassy to open. It would have worked out but we would have had to fly back to the states and claim our things in Houston. Also both planes to Cancun were booked the next day or we would have taken that route.

We cruised with friends to Mexico who were from the UK (US residents). We're from the US/California. We had the unfortunate experience of getting a ride back to the ship with a cab driver who drove slower than a donkey's pace. Nearly missed the ship!

The point is, we didn't carry our passports off the ship with us. Could you imagine two foreign nationals, stuck in Mexico (or elsewhere), with no passports, trying to reenter the US without passports? And, this was before the laws/rules changed.

I'll always keep my passport on me at all times. And, I agree...it's also on vacation, so it gets to enjoy its stamps!

We have never gotten a stamp on our passport on any cruise :(

And we carry a copy of the data page and leave the original in the safe.

I think it depends on which airport you enter and which agent you have. We've come in thru JFK, O'Hare, BWI and PHL and it's been hit or miss on getting our PP's stamped when reentering the country. We've had our PP's stamped in some places and the agent next to us did not stamp someone else's.

The best stamp we have for reentering the US is from Shannon Airport in Ireland, you do your passport control for reentry before you get on the plane. This was in 2004.

I have had the same situation... sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I will hold onto my old passport as long as I can as it contains my Australia stamps and visa stamp... and chances are I'll never weather that long trip again :p The stamps are part of our memories... it would be nice if we got them everywhere we went!!

I have had the same situation... sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I will hold onto my old passport as long as I can as it contains my Australia stamps and visa stamp... and chances are I'll never weather that long trip again :p The stamps are part of our memories... it would be nice if we got them everywhere we went!!

I like you, love my Australia stamps. We don't have the Visa's in them since we had electronic ones. DD loves to look back at her passport to read the stamps. I also wish they would be stamped every time.

Archived