Island Tour through Carnival

brobrosmom

I did not go on that tour (because when I was there I could barely walk -getting over a broken ankle, so we took the Trolly Roger tour which was short but sweet). However, my table mates went on that tour and really liked it. When I make it back to GC again this November, I'll do that tour.

We did this tour through Carnival back in 2002 and we enjoyed it (it seems like it was $29 or so per person back then). We rode in an air-conditioned van/bus. I believe it seated around 20 or so...it was quite comfortable.

We felt the tour was worth the money. We wanted to get an idea of what the island was like because we thought we'd come back for land vacations (which we have done).

It seems like we met the tour guide at 8:00 or so and she dropped us back at the tender around about 10:15.

Our tour included...

We stopped at the Gov's Mansion for a few minutes (you don't get off the bus).

We stopped at the old house, the one with the sand and shells in the yard (you don't get off the bus).

We then went to Hell. I believe we were there for 30 minutes or so, maybe longer. The first time we were there, our tour took us to the part of Hell that has the smaller gift shop. It's just a very short distance from the other place. The other one has a red building and has the cutouts of an angel and a devil on the porch. There's also a larger gift shop at this place. You may have seen pictures of a man dressed like the devil, well, that's the gift shop with the devil and angel cutouts. I don't know how they decide to which one of these places you will visit, but you'll see the same rock formations, and they sell the same basic souvenirs.

The only reason I mention this is because when we went on the tour, I thought we'd be going to the bigger one, and we didn't. The next time we were visiting Grand Cayman, we drove to that part of the island and visited both places. There were tour buses at both places.

We visited the turtle farm and toured it (it seems like this lasted 30-45 minutes or so). At the time, the turtle farm was located right next to the rum cake place, so you just walked next door, but now there's a new turtle farm, which is up the road a bit so you'll probably be driven to both places.

We did a little shopping and sampling at the rum cake place. There's a small area (behind glass) where you can watch cakes being made. I don't remember exactly what they were doing...it's a small area, but you can watch this for a few minutes. You won't actually take a "tour" of this, at least we didn't. We just stood and watched them.

Our guide pulled off alongside 7MB so we could look at the ocean. We didn't get off the bus, but we took some really great pictures.

Then the driver too us the back way into town and dropped us off.

We had a good time. It's gave us a great overview of that part of the island. We saw enough to know that we wanted to come back for land vacations.

Have a great time! :)

Archived