Niagara Falls

We are an Australian family with mid teens and my DH may be attending a conference in Boston at the beginning of October. He is keen to visit Niagara Falls (Canadian side) whilst in that part of the world. As we all love cruising, would there be a cruise that we could take that would also allow us the opportunity to visit the above?

Thank you for your help.

Jennie

Sorry, but other than the Maid of the Mist, which sails to the edge of the falls, there are no cruise ships that travel beyond Montreal. Even then, most of the larger ships can't travel beyond Quebec City. (I think that most of the ship stacks can't make it under the bridge at Trois Rivieres).

That will have to be a land vacation, I'm afraid.

As Ephraim said Quebec City is as close as you can get on a cruise ship and Niagara is about a 10 hour drive from there. However, if you are in Boston I would either fly to Toronto or Buffalo, New York state and rent a car. Amtrak (train) would be another alternative.

Not quite true that there are no cruises that go past Montreal. There are no LARGE SHIP cruises, but there is at least one cruise line that does Thousand Islands - Ottawa - Montreal. That's still at the other end of Lake Ontario, but a lot closer than Montreal. Having said that, yes, you best bet is either a long car drive, or a plane to Buffalo.

Here is an example of a cruise, on the Canadian Empress, that includes a side trip to the falls: http://www.titanhitours.co.uk/holiday-itinerary.asp?pc=slr . There probably are others.

This ship concluded it's stay in the great Lakes last year (o7)

Might it return.??

http://www.greatlakescruising.com/columbus/index.php

If you click on itineraries, you'll see that the Grand Caribe is still doing Great Lakes itineraries, including a 15 day Great American Waterways cruise whose Buffalo stop includes a trip to the Falls.

We'll be on the left coast in late May, to start our Alaska cruise. This will be our third visit to Vancouver, second to Victoria.

Archived