Jewel or Jade

marle7

We are looking around for a cruise for our 10th anniversary next year, and so far two NCL cruises are leaping out at us. One is on the Jewel, one one the Jade. We can book the deluxe Owner's suite on Jade or an Owner's suite on Jewel.

The itineraries are similar, although Jade leaves from NY and Jewell from Miami. The Jewel is 14 days, the Jade, 11 days. the pricing for both suites is comparable.

The deluxe owner's suite is up on deck 15 but has no elevator access, (although that's not an issue for us) and appears to be the only cabin up there. The private pool is one deck down. The suite on the Jewell is the same deck as the private pool.

Which is the better ship and suite? We have never sailed NCL before, although we're experienced cruisers.

Um, nobody? I have the Jade cabin on hold till tomorrow. Apparently for suites, they have a $500 per person non refundable deposit as part of your deposit, so any advice would be great!

I would check and see if the owner's suite on the Jewel gives you access to the Courtyard area. If not I would book the Jade for the Courtyard access.

The Jewel Owner's Suites do have Courtyard access. The longer cruise on the Jewel sounds tempting but the Deluxe Owner's Suites are pretty luxurious. I think its a tough choice...one you will have to decide based on your priorities (accommodations vs. cruise length). I haven't been on either ship but from what I've read they are pretty comparable.

From everything I have read (we sail on the Jade TA) the DOS faces the front of the ship. The advantage I would find with the DOS on the Jade would be a single flight on stairs to the Courtyard area instead of an the OS being on the 10th deck and the Courtyard being on 14. If you do not think you will be accessing the Courtyard much then the location of the suites is less important. The only other thing I can think of is, if motion sickness is a worry, not being on the top deck is probably better.

It's rather confusing, depending on the book, or the website. Not only as to size of the cabin, but where it's positioned. I've given my TA a list of questions to ask NCL, before I cough up $1,000 of non refundable money!

Thank you for your responses everyone!

The total deposit is $3,000. Of that, $500 per person is apparently non refundable when booking an Owners suite or a Villa. That is what NCL told my TA when she called.

The deposit for the Garden Villa on the Star is $6,000 of which $5,000 is non refundable, which explains how they can come out even or maybe ahead when they upsell the suite after a cancellation. We're 9 months out from our cruise and that's a big penalty for having our money so far in advance.

The deposit for the Garden Villa on the Star is $6,000 of which $5,000 is non refundable, which explains how they can come out even or maybe ahead when they upsell the suite after a cancellation. We're 9 months out from our cruise and that's a big penalty for having our money so far in advance.

That's a huge chunk of change to have hanging out there that you wouldn't get back. I thought my $1,000 was bad! I'm probably not going to book either of them now, based on this. This is over a year away, and so much can happen in a year, that I'm not willing to go for a non refundable deposit.

Before you book the owner's suite, I would recommend checking with the owner and making sure the owner is not going to be using it the same time you want to use it.

:D

For anyone who wanted to know the answers to the questions I had, this is what my TA said:

Re NCL, in that particular suite there is no mini-bar set-up. The fruit, sodas and water are replenished daily. There is an extra charge in 5 of their alternate restaurants from $10 per person and up. They have wireless in the cabin and an internet cafe as well. The dimensions are 630 sq. ft for the cabin and 567 for the balcony. On deck 15, that suite is in the middle of the ship, overlooking the sundeck. And this person said that if you cancel you will lose the whole deposit! So it's not just the $500 per person I heard the other person say!

No contest on this why do people spend so much money on a room?

Jewel all the way, Jade is actually and older ship that is being remodeled.

Nope...the Jewel was built in 2005, soon to be Jade(was the Pride of Hawaii) & Pearl built in 2006 and the Gem built in 2007.

Why do people spend so much money on a room? Because it is their own personal choice to do so...just as it is your own personal choice NOT to.

Kathleen

Archived