Carseat/stroller advice

TupeloHoney

I know there have been lots of posts on here about strollers and carseats, and I've read many of them. But i'm still looking for some advice, because none of those post seem to address our exact issue. So please humor me! :)

We are cruising in March on a 9 day cruise in the Caribbean (Haiti, Dominican Republic, St Thomas and San Juan). We will be bringing our 3 1/2 month old. We are normally light packers - so having to deal with all of this gear is kind of overwelming!

So here are the two options we are considering for our stroller situation. First, we are bringing our infant carseat. I thought I was clever and went and bought a Combi Flash car seat carrier. It's just a frame you set the carseat into (see pic below) - it doesn't work as a stroller on its own. The advantage of this is that it's small and light weight. But then I was talking to my sil, and she thinks we want to bring our regular stroller - a Chicco Trevi (see pic below)(the carseat pops into it). I don't really want to bring this because it's fairly big and clunky with the carseat in it. But she thinks we'll prefer it for actually strolling our son around because he will be less hot in it than he would be in the carseat. For instance if we go to a beach we'll be able to put the back all the way down, park it in the shade, throw a pareo over it and let DS nap. But I'm thinking if we go to the beach we'll be going via a taxi, so I'll be hauling the carseat along too.

I just don't know what makes the most sense. So do you have any thoughts for me?

Thanks!

603264353_strollertrevi.jpg.e5b7f98cfae61290e663ac479b3de5a5.jpg

1474710024_strollercombiflash.jpg.a3b3214037591c0a2f8cbc957b96820d.jpg

I vote neither.

Go get yourself a UV resistant tent for the beach and go scour craigslist for a liteweight stroller that reclines and offers storage and shade.

We got our Graco CitiLite used for $20 and have taken it on 3 cruises, so far.

It's slim enough to allow people to comfortably pass in ship hallways but offers everything we need for the baby.

So here are the two options we are considering for our stroller situation. First, we are bringing our infant carseat. I thought I was clever and went and bought a Combi Flash car seat carrier. It's just a frame you set the carseat into (see pic below) - it doesn't work as a stroller on its own. The advantage of this is that it's small and light weight. But then I was talking to my sil, and she thinks we want to bring our regular stroller - a Chicco Trevi (see pic below)(the carseat pops into it). I don't really want to bring this because it's fairly big and clunky with the carseat in it. But she thinks we'll prefer it for actually strolling our son around because he will be less hot in it than he would be in the carseat. For instance if we go to a beach we'll be able to put the back all the way down, park it in the shade, throw a pareo over it and let DS nap. But I'm thinking if we go to the beach we'll be going via a taxi, so I'll be hauling the carseat along too.

I just don't know what makes the most sense. So do you have any thoughts for me?

Thanks!

When my son was an infant, I LOVED the frame and the carseat. It's especially great in the airport -- you can roll right up to the gate, gatecheck and be on your way. I mean, you need your car seat at your destination, anyhow -- so it was a perfect solution.

However, I agree with the PP as far as the actual cruise. Neither stroller is going to be great on the beach. Neither will roll in the sand -- and you would be better off to bring a collapsable UV tent for the beach than trying to cover a stroller. I would use a carrier for beach days -- at 3.5 months your child won't even be ready for the great majority of umbrella strollers anyhow.

If it were me, I would use the car seat and the frame for travel purposes. I would use a baby wrap or bjorn for the beach day and bring a UV tent.

HTH

Here's my 2cent. There is no perfect solution for your situation. If your carseat is combi then yes, the cushions will retain heat and can be hot on hot days. Having said that I still feel your combination of a carseat and Flash (I have a Strolee streak which is the same thing without the cup holder) is just fine. With 2 people and one baby especially under 6 months, when you go on shore, you should be able to handle the Flash (slugged over your shoulder), the carseat, a diaper bag, and a little one. I didn't particularly care to drag a stroller thru the sand but with your combination, you can carry everything with you which is much easier and you have the option to take a taxi. It wouldn't hurt to get one of those super lightweight beach tents for babies to stick in you diaper bag and a lightweight blanket to drape over the carseat to protect your little one from the sun. I love my Strolee streak, but unfortunately, my little ones are too big (1 1/2 yo and 3 yo).

For ease of travel, I would try to store everything in the diaper bag when actually moving from one place to another (like from the ship to the tender boat to shore) that way you only need to to click the carseat off and fold the Flash and off you go. Much slower if you have to empty the Flash basket and cup holder. Many tender boats will allow you to roll your Flash with carseat right on but then there may be stairs to and from the tender boats. Good luck and Happy cruising!

PS. Don't forget to strap the carseat onto the Flash or the carseat may flip off.

Connie

Archived