Stolen from cabin?

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

My niece had an expensive pearl necklace come up missing from her cabin. She reported it right away and filed a claim with Carnival but never was successful in getting any reimbursement. Which brings up the question as to why even take expensive jewelry on a cruise. I can't speak for my wife but I don't take my wedding ring and I take my old watch.

Does anyone else feel for the crew with "Miss I have a question for everything" coming aboard?

:cool: :cool: No and why would I. A lot of questions asked on this board are questionsI would like to ask but feel intimidated by the holier than thou people who figure every question is stupid or obvious. Give it up or zip it up if you can't play nice. And everyone, keep asking away, it is the only way you will learn. The pains in the butts are few and far between and don't let them get to you.:cool: :cool:

Anyone ever have anything stolen from their cabin? I know there's a safe, but anyone ever had like a passport, camera, or jewelry stolen if it was not locked up?

I mean, if so, there would only be 1 person to blame (room steward), and if this happened to you, how did you handle it?

I just don't know if I should be overly cautious on my upcoming cruise and lock everything valuable in the safe or what.

I just returned from the Destiny cruise. I didn't have anything stolen from my room, but...we were taking some pictures and I put my camera down and ended up leaving it. I realize it as soon as we got in the room. We went back and it was gone. Checked with the purser's desk and nothing had been returned. Long story short, the photographer was able to help me recover it a day later, but YES, someone had taken it and had no plans of returning it until they were confronted. Anyway, of course it was my fault, but it's just sad when things like that happen. You find something on the ship, it's pretty obvious the owner is still on board.

Good lesson learned, DON'T take your eyes off your personal belongings in public places!

I have no problem with real questions, it's the common sense ones that get to me!

:cool: :cool: What is common sense to you and me may not be to others, so why belittle them. Either answer them nicely or ignore them. Many others may have the same question but are just waiting to read the replies. Why don't we show them that we are a user friendly board unlike some others that I have been on.:cool: :cool:

We have been on 5 cruises and nothing has turned up missing form our cabins. A coworker just returned from the Liberty last week and she had a bottle of prescription antibiotics taken from the bathroom and 2 brand new pairs of underware (tags still on) taken from the dresser. Someone had some time to look around the cabin.

I have no problem with real questions, it's the common sense ones that get to me!

Really..

Question: I was on a cruise and I had left my plate on my table on the lido deck and went for a swim... well... when I came back my plate was gone!! has this ever happened to anyone else?

My general rule is anything you want to keep, lock it up in a safe for the really valuable stuff, and out of stuff for the replacable stuff. Passports, wallets, ID cards, nice jewelry, full memory cards and tape go into the safe. mp3 player, cameras, cheap jewelry, etc. go in the drawers. I'm not saying people are going to go in and take your stuff, but why take the risk and entice somebody?

Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I just can't trust others enough to leave my passport or credit cards lying around in my cabin. As far as the prescription thing goes, we always leave the valuable, must take every day ones in the safe, especially the more expensive ones. My dad takes a bunch of pills every day, he puts them into those canisters that have boxes for the week, so it's easy to tell if something is missing if the drugs for that day are gone. Also, this way, people can't tell what drug it is that they're taking, unless they are a trained pharmacist. No way to tell if it's a Valium or whatever.

I just returned from the Destiny cruise. I didn't have anything stolen from my room, but...we were taking some pictures and I put my camera down and ended up leaving it. I realize it as soon as we got in the room. We went back and it was gone. Checked with the purser's desk and nothing had been returned. Long story short, the photographer was able to help me recover it a day later, but YES, someone had taken it and had no plans of returning it until they were confronted. Anyway, of course it was my fault, but it's just sad when things like that happen. You find something on the ship, it's pretty obvious the owner is still on board.

Good lesson learned, DON'T take your eyes off your personal belongings in public places!

You've got my attention... How did you get it back? How did the photographer help... did the person who stole it get in trouble?

Inquiring minds want to know ...well I do anyhow:D

The only thing that has ever been missing from our cabin was a photograph. I doubt anyone stole it-more likely someone spilled something on it and it was ruined and they were too embarrassed to tell us and so threw it away. Fortunately it we had a duplicate.

On my last cruise I took off my wedding set to put lotion on my hands and laid them on the table next to the bed. Later I realized I didn't have them on. I went back to the cabin expecting them to be gone and they were right were I left them.

Pretty sure his name is Dudley:)

Just kidding.. I'm not really sure his name is Dudley.. I was just saying:D

:cool: :cool: T he name is not Dudley but am Canadian. Don't get caught up in this immature banter. We are just trying to out do one another. No one wins in a childish game, which this is. Touche, I give up and surrender.:cool: :cool:

Maybe I'm just the overly cautious type, but the safe is there and easy to use so why risk it? I lock up cash, credit cards, mp3, camera & id's and jewelry when not in the room along with any prescription meds that could have any potential abuse/street value like narcotic pain medicine or my the anti-anxiety meds I use for flying.

Chances are, your room steward is honest, but would you know if you happened to get the dishonest one? There are dishonest people everywhere and in every industry Or the one that had your door open while cleaning and stepped outside to answer a question while the real thief slipped into your room?

:cool: :cool: What is common sense to you and me may not be to others, so why belittle them. Either answer them nicely or ignore them. Many others may have the same question but are just waiting to read the replies. Why don't we show them that we are a user friendly board unlike some others that I have been on.:cool: :cool:

Tbay-eh:

Thank you for your post. I'm going on a cruise with my brother. He is worried about something being stolen from his cabin. I'm glad to read the replies.. Now, MAYBE I can reassure him.

:cool: :cool: T he name is not Dudley but am Canadian. Don't get caught up in this immature banter. We are just trying to out do one another. No one wins in a childish game, which this is. Touche, I give up and surrender.:cool: :cool:

Tbay-eh ... I was just joking around .. remember Dudley do-right? It's just something I remember growing up with as a kid, sorry if that offended you.... I didn't really mean it that way:)

Sheesh, you really are Snoopy, aren't you?

• I'm real confused as to what all this cabin assignment lingo means.
  • Is Camp Carnival free?
  • what is the big deal about people not being able to drink their own alcohol on the ship?
  • For those of you who have cruised Disney and Carnival, is there really that big of a difference in kid's activities other than say, $500 or so?
  • We always request the late seating, so if I understand right, I probably have a better chance getting a two top as this is the less crowded and less popular seating option?
  • Is this new? I remember my cell would never work at sea, only at port.
  • Just curious- do you sit at your same assigned tables? Is it usually crowded or empty? Do you sit with others?
  • When you book a cruise? And what ages are discounted?
  • I read a travel article about the Pride saying it is the classy ship of Carnival's fleet. Previous Pride travelers, your thoughts?
  • I'm hearing a lot about how fun these piano bars are. What makes them so much fun? What do you do there? Forgive my ignorance!
  • You're on a CRUISE, is there someplace you have to be? (don't understand the "rushing around" part)

Not to mention the thread started mocking the NCL review. That's just in the past couple of weeks! You HAVE cruised before, right? In one thread, you commented that your husbands books your cruises, so it's not like you're a total newbie.

ANYWAY, back to the question (don't know why I'm bothering to answer though, other than to bring it back on-topic)...

Assuming anything missing must be due to theft by your room steward isn't actually "innocent until proven guilty" is it?

I lock up money & passports. That's it. Camera is with me 99% of the time.

LOL......sometimes I wonder if the OP isn't cruisex3 in disquise...anyway cheers and applause to your response.

applause.gif

Tbay-eh ... I was just joking around .. remember Dudley do-right? It's just something I remember growing up with as a kid, sorry if that offended you.... I didn't really mean it that way:)

:cool: :cool: Please don't think I was offended. I knew exactly what you were talking about when you said Dudley, that is why I said I was Canadian. If we can't joke back and forth and roll with the flow this board is not for us. The Posse and I are just having a battle of wits and one of us is unarmed, I won't name names though. Touche. I would love to meet The Posse, I think we have just too much in common.:cool: :cool:

OP, what have you done on your other cruises? have you had problems before that are causing you concern now for this one? You may want to reference some suggestions in this thread too ;) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=5640677#post5640677

I know you are concerned... but use your own history of cruising, and use common sense. I've never had anything stolen and I always leave my laptop, camera, video camera, etc in my cabin... that said, everything is insured so I don't worry as much.

They have video surveillance in the halls, so it would be hard for someone to sneak in your room undetected. Still, I would always keep money and jewlery in the safe.

Other stuff could be stolen that can't fit in the safe, but it is really unlikely. Never heard of it happening on any of our cruises.

Let's see. Why would you leave your jewelry, money, credit cards, passport lying around if inside your cabin is a perfectly good safe to put it all in ???

Closets and drawers to put your camera, laptop etc in???

So either you don't get out much or you have a thing about posting about potential problems.

Essentially it is called using common sense. Use it.

MaryZ ~

Unfortunately, what is common to some, is not common to all... :eek: ;)

:cool:

Archived