Best Stingray city tour!

Guest LADY TORTOLA

Guest LADY TORTOLA

Can anyone please let me know what the best "Stingray City Tour" company is to use that will give us enough time to also snorkel the wreck of Cali and/or Gamma on our own afterwards. Thanks!!

I'd personally say someone like Dexter's Fantasea Tours is way better than the big operators (Capt Marvin's et al) but if you want to get back a snorkel the Cali you are probably going to need a quick turn round.

The Cali is just off Rackam's Pub in George Town, you can snorkel it right off their deck.

The Gamma is not so easy to access, it's just to the right of the Wharf restaurant and we normally go in through Harbour View apartments next to the cemetery but bear in mind that is private property not a beach access.

Guest LADY TORTOLA

Thank you for the help - does anyone know how long Dexter's Fantasea tours are?? Or if there are any private tours that are short enough where we can snorkel on our own afterward?

Thanks again for the help!!

We did the Moby Dick Tour in Jan 2007. It was excellent. The crew, boat and weather were great. The best thing was that they change there plans based on the crowds to give the best experience. They also have a big bucket of squid for those brave souls who want to feed the rays. I would book with Moby Dick again in a second. I have not used any other operators in Grand Cayman, but of the other operators I have used at other ports, I would say Moby Dick has been the best.

We did the Moby Dick Tour in Jan 2007. It was excellent. The crew, boat and weather were great. The best thing was that they change there plans based on the crowds to give the best experience. They also have a big bucket of squid for those brave souls who want to feed the rays. I would book with Moby Dick again in a second. I have not used any other operators in Grand Cayman, but of the other operators I have used at other ports, I would say Moby Dick has been the best.

We booked with Moby Dick Tours for our March 12 cruise - but I was hoping you might be able to explain a little further what you meant by they cahnge their plans based on crowds?? What exactly do you mean? Would we be going to different locations?

Question Please - How do you get in touch with Moby Dick Tours? Does anyone have a phone# or email/link to contact them with? Thanks in advance for your kindness in sharing this info.

The following is the link to Moby Dick Tours website: http://www.mobydicktours.com/

I just booked with Moby Dick for our April 15th stop at Grand Cayman. They got excellent reviews on tripadvisor.com. I sent them an email from their website and they got back to me that same day. Looking forward to swimming with those Sting Rays!!!:)

When you go with Moby Dick they take you to two sites. The first is a reef snorkel with no rays but lots of fish. The second is the sand bar with the rays. Once they get out there if the sand bar is busy they go to the reef first and then come back to the sand bar after. If the sand bar only has a couple of boats they stop there first. They seemed to do everything to make sure your tour will get lots of attention from the rays. The sand bar can get extremely crowded with boats so it can be hard to get a bunch of rays around your particular boat. When we went the sand bar was busy, so we went to the reef first and then the sand bar next. By the time we got back to the sand bar there was about 1/2 the boats and we had at least 20-30 rays aroud just our boat. They have have a full 5 gallon bucket full of squid to feed the rays and will let you take as much as you want to feed them. To me that was the best part. I have heard that some of the other tours do not provide food for you to feed the rays. We did a shark and ray tour in Belize in January and they only had a small bucket of food and did not hand it out to the people on the tour. FYI if you to Belize the shark ray tour there is also pretty cool. They actually had more rays than GC and we were the only boat around.

When you go with Moby Dick they take you to two sites. The first is a reef snorkel with no rays but lots of fish. The second is the sand bar with the rays. Once they get out there if the sand bar is busy they go to the reef first and then come back to the sand bar after. If the sand bar only has a couple of boats they stop there first. They seemed to do everything to make sure your tour will get lots of attention from the rays. The sand bar can get extremely crowded with boats so it can be hard to get a bunch of rays around your particular boat. When we went the sand bar was busy, so we went to the reef first and then the sand bar next. By the time we got back to the sand bar there was about 1/2 the boats and we had at least 20-30 rays aroud just our boat. They have have a full 5 gallon bucket full of squid to feed the rays and will let you take as much as you want to feed them. To me that was the best part. I have heard that some of the other tours do not provide food for you to feed the rays. We did a shark and ray tour in Belize in January and they only had a small bucket of food and did not hand it out to the people on the tour. FYI if you to Belize the shark ray tour there is also pretty cool. They actually had more rays than GC and we were the only boat around.

Thanks so much for the explanation!! This tour sounds amazing!!

Thank you very much for the information. We were looking at Nativeway, but they don't head out for the trip until after 10:00 am, and we wouldnt have time to snorkel the wrecks, which my husband really wants to do.

Moby Dick may just fit bill...

Lady Anna

This is one of the reason we went with Moby Dick as we want to get back with enough time to snorkel on our own out to a couple of the wreck sites if possible. I spoke with one of the tour guides from Moby Dick and he said we would have plenty of time once we get back to snorkel the wrecks and the Wreck of the Cali is only 2 blocks away from the cruise terminal where they drop us back off.

We actually just went out on a private tour with a local on his J22 sailboat this past week with out 2 friends. I highly recommend it!!! The cost was $400 total (see http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.c...ilingBeach.htm) but split among the 4 of us it was not too bad. If you can afford this, it is totally worth the money! The captain is a local (John Michael) and is very nice. It is a mid-sized non-motorized sailboat that can fit 5 but is very relaxing. I believe he also has a power boat you can rent that hold more but we loved the sail boat. He picked us up near the ship dock around 11:30 and we sailed until 6 PM. We went to stingray city (he taught us how to feed the rays and supplied the squid), and one of his favorite snorkeling spots where no one else was and there was beautiful coral, and then to starfish beach which is gorgeous! He does not give booze or lunch so we just brought the latter along with us and ate it on a remote beach. Highly recommended!!!!

Archived