Another Car Rental question for Honolulu

geospyder

We are staying two extra days in Honolulu post cruise. What we'd like to do is rent a car from the airport so we can return it to the airport prior to our flight. Are there car rental shuttles (for airport rental) at the pier in Honolulu like there are at the other ports of call? Hope that made sense.

I'm also doing a post-cruise stay and here's what I've found: Go to http://www.discounthawaiicarrentals.com or hotwire.com for your rental. (I did DH since I have shuttles already arranged for me.) The difference is with DH you can book now and pay later and cancel if you want to without penalty. With Hotwire you pay now and cannot make changes although they are slightly cheaper. DH has a shuttle that will pick you up from your hotel or the pier and take you to the airport to get your car. There are also a ton of car rental places on Ala Moana making competition fierce and keeping prices low. The benefit to this is you can rent per day and not worry about parking which can be tricky and expensive. (My travel agent suggested this route.) Some of the hotels have a car rental place on site and they might have a hotel shuttle that will take you to the airport upon departure. Good luck with your decision!

Most of the car rental companies will only shuttle from the pier to their downtown locations, not the airport. Thrifty shuttles to both, so that's an option. You'll have to call and check to see if the company you're interested in using shuttles cruise pax to the airport as well as downtown.

As you can imagine, this is a common question. If you scroll back through a few pages or do an advanced search (going back only a few months) for "oahu car" or "honolulu car" or similar, you'll probably get several detailed threads about which companies do and do not send shuttles to the pier from their airport rental locations. There are also several discussions on those threads about renting at a downtown location and returning to the airport location. Some of the companies charge a one-way drop fee to do that; others do not.

beachchick

although we did not rent a car post cruise, I did see the thrifty shuttle at the pier. We also priced out both Hertz and National and there was no extra cost picking up from Ala Moana locations and dropping off at the airport, and I did confirm that both Hertz and National will shuttle from the pier to their Ala Moana locations. HTH.

Archived