Best place for jewellery for UK cruisers?

Hi - I know that St.Thomas is good for US cruisers to buy their jewellery - but was wondering if there is any advantage for UK cruisers in buying there? We have customs to pay on arrival in the UK. So if I saw something I liked in, for example, Diamonds International in one island - would the same item be any better price in Diamonds International in St.Thomas? Ruby Wedding Anniversary coming up and DH has promised me a ring on our cruise. Trouble is St. Thomas is right at the end of our itinerary - and I was hoping to get my bling early in the cruise:D. Many thanks for any help.

Hi - I know that St.Thomas is good for US cruisers to buy their jewellery - but was wondering if there is any advantage for UK cruisers in buying there? We have customs to pay on arrival in the UK. So if I saw something I liked in, for example, Diamonds International in one island - would the same item be any better price in Diamonds International in St.Thomas? Ruby Wedding Anniversary coming up and DH has promised me a ring on our cruise. Trouble is St. Thomas is right at the end of our itinerary - and I was hoping to get my bling early in the cruise:D. Many thanks for any help.

Hi Sue...As a veteran cruiser I can honestly tell you that St.Martin has the same exact quality of merchandise as St.Thomas. However, you will find that it is much cheaper than what they charge in St.Thomas. One good tip...When shopping in any jewelry store don't let the merchants know that you're off the ship. If your familiar with the island tell them your staying at a hotel nearby. You will find that many island merchants raise the prices dramatically when ships are in port. Hope this was helpful.

Also, I put off the purchase of a designer watch until we cruise to St.Martin at the ladder part of this month.

jcruise

Yes, definitely St Maarten. Avoid Diamonds International which you'll find in almost every port. Way over priced. My husband looked at a watch there. We already knew the price of it at home - £400. It started off at £1200 and after much haggling they wouldn't budge at £600. He got the same watch at Vickys in St Maarten for £300 without any hassle. I also bought a 5 stone diamond pendant for £350.

We were recently in Dubai visiting friends who are living there for a few days and I had it valued in the Gold souk. Valuations are usually useless and over inflated as they're done purely for what you'd claim on insurance, and not what the item is actually worth. I was curious to know how much of a bargain I'd got, so in Dubai I let the jeweller think I also lived there and that I needed to sell it. After much weighing and inspection of the diamonds, he offered me £600. I didn't take it but then went on to buy diamond earrings. We then told the jeweller we just wanted to know how much it was really worth. He said he'd sell it in his shop for between £700 and £750 - so I did get a bargain in St Maarten.

Don't worry about the customs. Just wear the items when travelling home rather than packing them away (safer anyway in case your luggage goes missing). Customs won't know anything about them then.

One good tip...When shopping in any jewelry store don't let the merchants know that you're off the ship. If your familiar with the island tell them your staying at a hotel nearby. You will find that many island merchants raise the prices dramatically when ships are in port. Hope this was helpful.

jcruise

As far as I can tell (I have friends working in this business and I used to work in jewelery myself) this is not the case everywhere. It is true that companies that are promoted through Shopping Programs on cruise ships pay a certain commission. DI pays the most that's why it will always be "the number one recommended store". But to make money from cruise ship passengers is more difficult than from hotel guests so it wouldn't work. The whole "raising the price dramatically" doesn't make sense.

I bought my pieces on St. Thomas. I heard both that jewelry is more expensive and less expensive on St. Maarten, so who knows. It's probably comparable.

The most important thing to remember is that the notion that you're going to get fabulous bargains is a myth. The initial asking price is far higher than it should be (and some people pay it I suppose), and then you bargain down to a reasonable price (which makes you feel like you're getting a fantastic deal).

So know, before you go, what you're looking for and what you'd pay for it at home. Do not pay the first price asked; they expect haggling. You can get some beautiful pieces on the islands, but if someone offers you a 1-carat diamond for $300, run.

I recently went to Nassau on a diamond ring hunt. Every other shop was selling such nice jewelry.

I ended up going for a pretty diamond ring, which i can honestly say i have never seen one that sparkles so much!

Anyway i paid $400 for it, I really dont know if it was a good deal or not. All I know is I love it!

;)

• 1 month later...

I am fortunate to have a nice collection of jewellery that was collected by a great-aunt and aunt over the years--much of it antiques, bought in London in the '50s.

One of the things that I learned about collecting is that when you see a unique piece--something that jumps out and grabs your eye--if you like it, and can afford it, buy it when and where you see it.

If you see something wonderful in St. Thomas, but hesitate and wait until you get to St. Martin (or wherever), because it might be a bit cheaper, you will almost always be disappointed because that perfect thing eludes you.

If what you want is standard stuff--a diamond in a simple setting--then research the prices of similar grade, color and weight. It might not be worth your while to get it on the trip.

For unique pieces, you will see it and know. Buy it then, don't wait.

Archived