First time snorkeling hints

blessedwith12

I've never been snorkeling before - I do love the water and swimming. I will be snorkeling in a cenote in Calica and a turtle sanctuary. Any hints I should know? Don't be afraid of insulting me by stating the obvious!:) I'm not the world's most coordinated person and would like any hints to keep me from looking like a goof.

I've never been snorkeling before - I do love the water and swimming. I will be snorkeling in a cenote in Calica and a turtle sanctuary. Any hints I should know? Don't be afraid of insulting me by stating the obvious!:) I'm not the world's most coordinated person and would like any hints to keep me from looking like a goof.

Here's what I learned over the years, not in any particular order:

1) Don't put on your fins until your at the edge of the water (you'd be amazed at how many people put on their fins then duck walk to the edge, it's hazardous and falling on your neighbors doesn't enhance their experience).

2) Remove your fins before climbing out of the water and put your mask around your neck, not on your forehead (a wave can knock it off and to divers it's a sign of distress).

3) Mask fit is everything! If your mask leaks you'll hate the experience. If possible, get your own and try it out before you leave. If not possible, don't be afraid to try several of the loaner masks.

4) With a snorkel you breath in/out of your mouth. Breathing from your nose will only fill your mask with water.

5) Slow and steady wins the race. Don't race around. The best way is to take it slow, breath normally and relax (you're on vacation watching wonderful things in the water).

6) Don't stand on anything in the water. Coral is alive and things on the coral sting (you wouldn't like it if someone stood on you). Plus our oils in our skin can kill the coral.

7) Know where you are. Every 30 seconds to one minute, look up, make sure you know where the rest of the group is. Currents are deceptive and you may be drifting away without knowing it.

8) In the first 25% of your time snorkel as far as you want to go and use the rest of the 75% of your time to slowly get back to your start.

9) Be courteous. A lot of times there's lots of people in the water. Be aware of where your fins are and try to avoid kicking people. Also if you see something interesting, let other's know, take a long look, then move on and give others a chance to check it out.

10) When seeing creatures, like turtles, make sure you alway give them space. They are usually very comfortable with people but are wild animals so no wiggling fingers in their face to get their attention, grabbing them when they don't expect it, and always giving them access to the surface so they can come up and breath.

11) Remember, in salt water you won't sink. Salt water is denser than fresh water so if you feel like you're sinking, just stretch out your legs and arms and you'll magically stay afloat (also most companies supply snorkel vest which fit over your head and has an air blatter that is manually inflated if you need it.

12) If you're going to "duck dive", dive down to see something real quick, it's best if you take a deep breath and take the snorkel out of your mouth when you dive down. You see all those commercials where someone snorkels under the water with their snorkel in but it does take practice to know how to seal out the water then to blow out the water that fills the tube as you dive under the water.

13) Pay attention to the professionals. The people you'll be snorkeling with take people out on a daily basis. They have seen everything and have their own rules. When they start giving instructions, stop whatever you're doing, give them your full attention, then continue on with any last minute things you need to do.

Anyway, hopefully these help. :)

Randall

Scubaran - great tips!

Here is one I just learned after years of snorkeling. Rent a "shorty" wet suit. I will never snorkel again without one, even if the water is not that cold.

1) adds extra bouyancy without an awkward angle of a flotation device.

2) adds protection against jellyfish, scrapes, etc.

3) the biggie :p - no more sunburned bottoms! Especially if you are female - our swimsuits don't give enough coverage. The worst sunburn I've had was from snorkeling. I couldn't sit down that night for dinner!

If you choose not to wear a wet suit - remember to reapply sunscreen often. It really washes off in the salt water. You might consider a t-shirt as well.

Another tip - if you are with a spouse or significant other - we like to hold hands. We never lose each other that way, if one sees something cool, it is easy to alert the other in time to see it as well. Plus everyone thinks we look so cute! :rolleyes:

Your face is warmer than the water outside your mask, so you may experience the mask fogging over on the inside. What most people will teach you to do is to spit in your mask and rub it around. There are three other ways that I know of that work better: #1 there are commercial defoggers that you can spray in your mask, #2 you can rub around a little toothpaste and rinse it out before going in water, or #3 (my favorite), put just a drop of dishwashing detergent (we carry a sample size bottle), rub it around the inside front of you mask, and rinse completely. If you are snorkeling from shore, treat the inside of your mask before you get to the water, once there, rinse the mask, and you're good to go. Most snorkel boats have a rinse tub on board, and you can rinse your mask before you jump in.

If you can, buy your own equipment before going. I bought a body glove set (snorkel, mask, flippers and bag) at Costco several years ago for less than $50. It has paid for itself many times over as some beaches/excursions charge extra for snorkel/mask rental. The set I have is way better than the ones that most of the excursions offer. The biggest reason for me it the "ick" factor associated with rented snorkels and masks. I'm glad that the only spit in my snorkel and mask are mine;)

Scubaran - great tips!

Here is one I just learned after years of snorkeling. Rent a "shorty" wet suit. I will never snorkel again without one, even if the water is not that cold.

1) adds extra bouyancy without an awkward angle of a flotation device.

2) adds protection against jellyfish, scrapes, etc.

3) the biggie :p - no more sunburned bottoms! Especially if you are female - our swimsuits don't give enough coverage. The worst sunburn I've had was from snorkeling. I couldn't sit down that night for dinner!

If you choose not to wear a wet suit - remember to reapply sunscreen often. It really washes off in the salt water. You might consider a t-shirt as well.

Another tip - if you are with a spouse or significant other - we like to hold hands. We never lose each other that way, if one sees something cool, it is easy to alert the other in time to see it as well. Plus everyone thinks we look so cute! :rolleyes:

Hi,

I take it a step further.... I'm very sun sensitive, plus a diver, so I wear a FULL 3mm wetsuit. I get funny looks on the snorkel boat when I don it but I'm toasty and sun protected (t-shirts really don't work well in the water for UV protection). Also if you want to wear something but don't want to go the full or shorty way, there are short and long sleeve tops called "rash guard" shirts. These do provide UV protection plus they're made of spandex type material so they're very comfortable in the water.

Randall

Here's my tip!

Just because you think it's your husband/wife you are holding hands with, it doesn't mean that it is!

I learned this when my DH & I were traveling with friends and we were snorkling along and my DH & I lock hands and we are swimming along. Five minutes later (it seemed) we came up and it was my friend's DH! :o We both thought it was our spouse and we were laughing so hard we couldn't tell our spouses what we were laughing at until we calmed down! lol.

Thanks for all of the hints. I hadn't thought about the painful possibility of burnt backs of legs, and I will be careful who I hold hands with! I guess one of my biggest concerns is that I will keep diving too deep and keep guzzling water.:) I guess I'll have to break that habit really quick.

I'd like to just add a couple of notes to these already wonderful tips:

1. Don't flap your arms around in the water when you're snorkeling...there's no need plus it freaks out the fishies. I just keep mine by my side and let my fins do all the work.

2. Your fins are your friends...no need to slap them around on top of the water...it really irritates people and creates a lot of bubbles. A nice gentle back and forth motion of your legs under the water will do the trick.

3. Snorkeling in a cenote is a bit different than in the ocean...the water is a mix of fresh and salt...you will probably be provided with a shortie wetsuit and buoyancy vest. You also will probably not be wearing fins as it stirs up the sand underwater. You may encounter some bats down there if the cenote is in a cave...don't get freaked out...they don't want to eat you.

Enjoy your trip!

Make double sure you have no hair caught in the mask. This is important. If mask start to leak, push the top of the glass gently but firmly, and breath out through your nose. You can hear water bubbling out. It's kind of fun. If you need to clear the mask often this way, something is not on right(if you know the mask fits you well normally). Take it off and put it back on again while you tread the water. Hanging on to your partner while you do this will make it easier for a beginner.

For beach entry, once you have fins on, walk backwards ALWAYS to enter water. Fins aren't designed to do duck walk. Trying to walk forward with fins mark you as a beginner. When water is deep enough, then turn around, face water, put your mask on, and start swimming.

I usually defog my mask at the last minute. Spit, rub then rinse with sea water. Cheap, easy and effective. You can defog again anywhere even in the middle of ocean.

You don't need to kick hard with fins. Keep your knees straight and move the fins gently up and down. You'll get more than enough speed. As someone said, keep your arms on your side. Less disturbance you create, more nature you will see.

If you don't want to invest on a wetsuit, a T-shirt will do. Long leggings will protect the back of your thigh and calves. Later when you get serious about snorkeling, you'd want to buy a 3mm wetsuit or a shortie at least.

If you live by a major city u should be able to find a dive shop that offers snorkeling classes. I know in Pittsburgh they charge $25 and provide all the equipment or you can buy your own. Costco still has the gear for $40 for adults and $26 for kids.

Hi,

I noticed that Leisurepro is offering the Apollo Full Foot, Bio UNI split fins for $39.95 again (usually close to $100); http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/APLFBFU.html?refby=ralpmxe. I use both the open heal and full foot myself. They always come in at the top for ease of stroke and max. power. My wife and I both use these for snorkeling. They run pretty much true to size if anyone's interested. BTW, not a dealer or own stock in the company, just spotted a bargain for anyone wanting fins. :D

Randall

Hi

I have another question. What about if you wear glasses. Do they fit underneath the mask? Or is everything going to be "fuzzy" if I snorkel without them?

Thanks

barb from va

Hi,

If you wear glasses you can get perscription lenses that fit into the mask (go to a web site like http://www.scuba.com and see which masks support perscription lenses). They are of course in addition to the cost of the mask. Regular glasses don't work since the earpieces would stick outside the mask skirt and would cause major leakage. Also there are some people who take an old pair of glasses and "glue" the lenses in the mask. This works to but is more hit and miss. Finally, something to think about, water magnifies things about x4 and some people with small vision corrections are shocked to find they see perfectly underwater. :)

Randall

Hi

I have another question. What about if you wear glasses. Do they fit underneath the mask? Or is everything going to be "fuzzy" if I snorkel without them?

Thanks

barb from va

Diveoptx magnifying lenses. They are cheaper than prescription masks and you can reuse them, reposition them, remove them, etc.

Get you own fitted mask and snorkel. Practice a bit in a pool. Some folks gag at first with a snorkel. Cool if you can see turtles by snorkel - last time I had to dive 90 feet to find a turtle and then the lazy bum was napping.:D

• 4 months later...

This is a wonderfully helpful thread. Thanks everyone who participated with their hints and tips.

We plan our cruises to try to take in the maximum amount of snorkelling opportunities. We snorkel in the South Pacific with P&O Australia and still consider ourselves newbies. :) I've learned heaps from this thread.

We also snorkel as a couple. I wear reef (aqua) shoes and my DH wears fins. I hold onto his hand and he drags me around. :p It works well but I will be checking out that it is really him from now on. What a laugh to be holding hands with someone else without knowing. :D

I also agree to be very careful about the sunburn. I was sunburnt badly on the back of my legs right down to my ankles when snorkelling last November in Vanuatu. I had trouble sitting down for a few days. I wore a rash shirt and capri pants when snorkelling from then on. I might've looked a bit odd, but I didn't get burnt. :D

2498946322_a361254510.jpg?v=0

2059224970_094b09ad5a.jpg?v=0

I might suggest a pair of water booties like divers wear, then use the fins with straps instead of full foot fins. It's personal preference, of course, but the booties have several advantages. 1)You can walk around without your fins on and never hurt your feet. 2)Your toes/foot won't get scraped up from where the fins rub. 3)If the water's really smooth, you may decide you don't need your fins at all- then you just take them off and have your booties on. I bought my kids water shoes (just the thin neoprene ones). They generally don't use fins at all, and I never have to worry about their feet.

DO get your own gear and practice first in a pool so you know how everything feels/mask fits in a calm, controlled environment first.

Invest in a cheap mesh bag for all your gear. You can pick one up at most sports stores and it gives you a great way to keep your stuff together/let it dry afterwards.

Most importantly- relax and have a good time. You'll find that you really don't have to work that hard.

A couple more little things:

Whether you're buying your own mask or testing out the rentals, the way to check for proper fit is: turn the headband around so it crosses the front of the mask and is fully out of the way. Tilt your head back and place the mask over your face and settle it comfortably. Draw in a bit of air through your nose so that the mask is "sucked" onto your face. Tilt your head forward with your hands ready to catch the mask should it fall off. If the little amount of suction through your nose holds the mask to your face, it should be a good fit and will not leak.

The person who said a leaking mask will ruin the experience is 110% correct. I had that twice during a Florida vacation and if I had to quantify what it did to the experience, I would say it cut my enjoyment roughly in half. I have since bought myself a pro-quality mask that fits awesome.

Another thing about equipment: be sure to get a snorkel with a soft mouthpiece and rounded corners. Since it will be in your mouth for an extended period of time, with the harder plastic ones I found they irritated my mouth.

I forgot to add that water shoes are an excellent investment as well if you plan to go to the beach, on boats, water parks etc. You can swim in them, they protect your feet from shells and coral fragments while wading at the beach. The rubber soles provide excellent grip on a slippery boat deck.

Ours were Sperry Top-Siders, about $30 for a pair and we ordered them from Amazon.com.

77634f6e5948496839766d6f44325a4e785877-100x100-0-0.jpg

Archived