Info on South American Cruise

glacier

We are planning a cruise to SA next year and am unsure what month is the best time to go. Looking at NCL Sun Jan or Feb. Anyone been there then?

Would love to know how long a flight it is to Santiago or Buenos Aires.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

We are planning a cruise to SA next year and am unsure what month is the best time to go. Looking at NCL Sun Jan or Feb. Anyone been there then?

13 hrs from St Louis with 1 hr stop in Dallas

My wife and I were there from Dec 23 2007 to Jan 6 2008 from Santiago to Buenos Aires. The weather was good. A little warm for us in Santiago and Buenos Aires as it was in the 90's and thats way to hot for us. A little rough around the cape, but many sunny and nice days. We were on the Dream. Our international connection was from Dallas and that is about 10 hrs to either place. Had a blast. What ever port you are in, if you go over Christmas wont have much if any business open so take a tour on that day for sure. To me it was a great time to go. When will you ever be able to have another holiday like that.

We are flying to Santiago on March 19 from Atlanta. It is a 9.5 hour overnight flight.

We are leaving in two days for our cruise - YAY!! Our flight from Dallas is 9.5 hours to Santiago. We chose February as I understand that by March the penguins have pretty much left the area. I believe January would also be a great time to go.

One tip - book your flight early. Our flights both to and from SA are totally sold out.

We just returned and at Volunteer Point on the Falklands we were just at the right time to see the young King Penguin chicks. We heard that they had just started hatching around mid January. Too cute to miss. I think the Gentoo chicks came a bit earlier.

Flights from either Miami or Dallas, about 9 hrs, as others have said.

Also, February is when "all" Chileans go on vacation, so although our flight to Buenos Aires on Jan 23 was not full, our return from Santiago on Feb 8 was packed, not one empty seat.

As far as weather goes, from what I can tell, there is a lot of luck of the draw. We had sunny day in Stanley, smoooooth sailing around the Horn, and then couldn't get into Ushuaia due to force 8 winds!

Around 85 degrees F in both Buenos Aires and Santiago. But, the day before Valparaiso, too cool to lay out by the pool! Who can say!

We sailed 1/6 Buenos Aires to Santiago. Very warm in BA and Santiago. It gets cooler/colder as you go down the coast of Argentina. We had gale force winds that didn't allow us to go into Stanley, Falklands, so we had 4 days at sea and for most of that time, you couldn't go outside. We saw the penguins at Magdelena Island (Punto Arenas) and the babies were 2 months old, still shedding their fur. It was very, very, windy on the island. I was wearing full winter gear: coat, gloves, earmuffs. But I took 103 pictures, so you know I enjoyed seeing the penguins. We had a veranda - could only sit outside the first few days and the last two.

8/99 Alaska Celebrity

8/01 Scandinavia/Russia Princess

1/05 Western Carribean Celebrity

10/05 Hawaii Norwegian

1/07 Panama Canal Celebrity

8/07 Hawaii Norwegian

1/08 South America - Celebrity

I just returned from the South American cruise (Feb. 1 - 17). I flew from Miami, which was an 8.5 hour flight to Buenos Aires; from Santiago to Miami was about the same. We were very fortunate that our cruise around the Horn was very calm. We only had a couple of days during the whole trip where the swells were large enough to cause problems. It was warm in Buenos Aires, in Uruguay, in Punto Arenas and in Santiago, but the rest of the trip was cool to cold, so pack accordingly. There were far more cool days than warm days. Wildlife was plentiful everywhere we went.

Jan and feb are the best months for penguin viewing. Read my cruise report for additional info.

Archived