Does Marva take travelers checks?

jgiczewski

(and what we do) is to cash your Traveller's Checks at the Purser's desk on your ship.

When we went to Ocho Rios, we used Phil Lafayette. Although he does take TC's, he says that it literally takes them months to get cashed at the banks there. I'm not sure of the entire process (and if I remember correctly, they may even have to pay a small fee to get them cashed), but for various reasons, we were glad to have cash on hand for him.

I understand your concern regarding carrying too much cash; however, if you tour with Marva, then you will meet her at the dock and be "secure" in her van. She will collect her fee when you arrive at your first excursion point. May I suggest that you bring cash for her convenience (as MamaParrotHead pointed out, life is not always as convenient in other countries), a few extra dollars for tips for your guides (Marva and other tour guides you may have on your excursion), a few extra dollars for any minor shopping you may do and a credit card for anything unexpected you may want (or need).

Have a great trip! :)

We used Traveler's checques when we toured with Marva a couple of weeks ago, but since she takes care of paying the admission at the places we went (Dunn's River, Tubing), we paid her tip up front in cash. She told us ahead of time that TC were fine, but I agree with the other posters that cash probably is better. We also used TC when we toured with Peet Taylor in April 2006. Neither guide told us that TC were a problem.

Have a great tour!

I'd also like to know what to tip.

Do you pay Marva a deposit when you reserve?

Did anyone do the tour that includes Reggae Beach. How was it?

Marva does not require a deposit upon making your reservation. She requires you to pay in full at the first stop on your tour. This is necessary to protect her (she has to pay all the admission fees up front). I have no idea how much to tip her. I used my judgement based on the 15-20% rule and tipped her $30 for a $60 per person tour (there were 2 of us). We had a wonderful time and felt her fees were well deserved.

Reggae Beach was included on our excursion. Please click on the link in my signature to read more about it. In a nut shell, it is a beautiful, quiet, picture postcard beach without a lot of people. It's definitely a local beach with no, or very few, tourists. Don't expect luxury - you won't get it here - but you will find a bar/grill area, restroom facilities and a hose connected to a water source. I'd recommend this beach if you want to relax in a beautiful setting and aren't looking for thrills and frills. Feel free to ask more questions. :)

Archived