Kona Dive Review - Jack’s Dive Locker

jwmcq

I am still a novice diver so was just hoping to have a really comfortable experience to build my confidence in the water. Jack’s was a great dive shop for this. There were three groups on the dive boat - an experience group of 5, a novice group of 4, and a certification group of 2. We went in the water in that order and were allowed to come up in pairs as our air ran low. The only time we even saw the other groups was at the end of the dive as we stayed near the mooring line. I was in group 2 with Patrick as our DM. He was very knowledgeable and gave good dive briefings. The first dive was to Suckem-up. Patrick mentioned that there was a swim through and I should have asked more questions during the briefing. When we got down there it just looked like a dark cave to me! I chose not to swim through (much to my husband’s annoyance) - Patrick came back to look for us and showed us the direction to go around where we could rejoin the group. At the exit of the swim-through were two 6 foot white tip sharks. I would have just died if I would have had to swim that close to them on the exit, so I was glad that I opted to go around. But we did get to watch the sharks and take some pictures, so this was really exciting for us. It was our first time to see big sharks. One of the sharks was quite pregnant. We also saw two eagle rays and a dragon eel on this dive. I started my dive at 3200 psi and ended with 1200. Depth went to 60 ft. and the dive lasted 55 minutes. Just a really great dive!

During the surface interval we went out to see whales. And we saw quite a few of them! They served us sandwiches, cookies and lemonade. Patrick teased me that the next dive was called the “swirling pit of death.” But it was really called Eel Core. On this dive we saw an octopus, a frog fish, 3 dragon eels, a dragon rass, a juvenile coris (looks like Nemo) and a million varieties of butterfly fish. I started my dive with 3100 psi and ended with 1100. Depth was to 50 ft and we were down for 53 minutes. Cost was $125 which included lunch and transportation to/from the cruise ship pier. We rented wet suits for $7.50 each. We had two really great dives. I would highly recommend this dive op. Our travel buddies were able to go with us on the trip as snorkelers. They too saw a lot on this dive. The fee for snorkelers was $55 which included all gear, including wet suits, lunch and transportation.

Archived