Help

blizzardescaper

My husband are taking a trip in December 2008 to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We want to avoid kids/crowds as much as possible and so were advised a good time to go was the 1st or 2nd week of December.

Also, should we use travel agent or book online? I have booked hotel rooms and airlines before, but what things do I need to know if booking online? Is it worth the extra $$$ to go through the travel agent?

We live in the Midwest (middle of nowhere) and are wondering which port is best to leave from Galveston or Florida?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We always use a Travel Agent (TA) because she can run interference for us if needed, and her agency often has extra perks or discounts. It does NOT cost you any more to use a TA. They're paid by the cruise line and it doesn't affect the cost of your cruise.

We've sailed from Galveston and from Ft. Lauderdale. I'd say there's really not much difference in the ports. If it doesn't make a difference to you, I'd check the airfare to Houston Hobby (closest to Galveston) and to FLL. Of course it depends on where you want to cruise!

If you can find a TA who specializes in cruises they can help you make these decisions :) !

Happy 25th! We had ours last year with a cruise to celebrate, too!

I prefer to deal directly with the cruise lines...that way, there's no finger pointing if something goes wrong (if you have to call your TA from the ship to get something straightened out, it can be very expensive).

Using a TA should not cost any more, so that should not be a factor.

You can frequently find better deals online than dealind directly with the cruise line. Look under cruise agencies (under the "Talk Ship" photo up at the top of the page. These are just some of the frequently used online agencies.

Archived