What, exactly, is Pike Market?

racepoint

I'm planning our cruise to Alaska, departing from Seattle, and trying to map out what DH and I will do with our pre-cruise time (1 day). The Space Needle will most likely appeal to him ("guy stuff") and I'm intrigued with Pike Market, just 'cause I've read on these boards that it's a "must see." If it's all food-based, it doesn't make much sense 'cause we're only in town a short time before getting on the shp, and I won't want to bring any food with me, sooooooo, what is the Market all about?

Pike Place market is one of my favorite places to spend an afternoon in Seattle. It's basically a farmers market with small restaurants/bars & other shops. If you've ever heard of the famous 'fish throwers'... this is where you'll find them. Its a ball to watch, especially the first time! I'd recommend reserving a couple of hours to spend here.

Pike Place Market is at 1st & Pike right in downtown Seattle. The Space Needle is at Seattle Center about s a mile or two north of there. You can catch the monorail to Seattle Center at Westlake Center at 5th & Pine about 6 blocks from the Market (Pine is 1 block north of Pike).

It is a farmers market, but a lot other things too. It is also a lot bigger than you think the main market is about 5 stories and the other floors (below the main one) are easy to miss. Also the buildings around what seems like the main market are also part of the market. Cross Pike Place and wander around in that building, too (the "Sanitary Building"). There are a bunch of little restaurants/food stalls in there.

You really don't want to visit Seattle and miss the market. I am sure DH will be happy at the Pike Place Brewery, too.

Seattle cruise lover can probably help you even more but here is a link to the web site for the Pike Place market - it is one place that I try to visit each time I am in Seattle

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=false

Cheers

Dennis

There are a LOT of local crafters with booths at the market too, so you can buy non-food items ... lots of jewelry, woodworkings, leatherworks, etc. It's definitely a great place to people watch too, as you get quite a few locals mixed in with the tourists. Also lots of little food shops where you can pick up a nibble or two and graze. And, as someone else just mentioned, the brewery at the far south end.

On a side note, if you have time after your cruise, you can purchase fresh fish and the mongers will pack it for you to fly home ... they put it on dry ice so it can last up to 48 hours, if you ask them for it. They can also ship it to your home. And there are also a ton of non perishable food items, like honey, nuts, jams and jellies, candied fruits, etc.

You absolutely need to visit the Market. It is four levels in one building, and several other buildings within a one and a half block radius. Some of the interesting types of shops that you will find are quilters, kite shops, toys, exotic herbs and aromatherapies, clothing stores, antique shops, imported goods from all over the world.

And, of course, the Pike Place Fish Market. There is nothing quite like flying salmon to liven up the morning.

There are wonderful bakeries, specialty food outlets and all of the farm grown produce.

It literally takes about two full days to see the full market, but it is well worth any few hours that you can devote.

Seattle cruise lover can probably help you even more but here is a link to the web site for the Pike Place market - it is one place that I try to visit each time I am in Seattle

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=false

Cheers

Dennis

Great link! But my stupid printer won't print out the downloadable map! :mad: Says it won't fit the frame (whatever the heck that means)! I wanted that map too!

We stopped in after our Alaska cruise in 2005. Very interesting. They have a Polish stoneware store, very nice. It's the only place I have seen it except QVC. They also have the biggest produce I have ever seen. Peaches were the size of grapefruits, called "Oh my God Peaches" because that's what you say when you see them! Also huge shrimp and crab at the fish market. Definitely worth the trip if you're into that kind of stuff. Trish

Also, if you're so inclined, visit the FIRST Starbucks ever. It's down at Pike Place. It's always packed, and the coffee is the same as at any other Starbucks (so there's nothing special about it other than it was the first one, and has the original branding elements, so some people really like that). Tourists like to go there and have their picture taken in front.

My favorite place to go down there is Beecher's cheese. I swear it's the best cheese on the face of the planet!

Archived