Wait staff rewarded for wine sales?

DeBlonde1

I had attached this to another thread, but didn't see any replies, so has anyone heard the following? I feel like our head waiter told us this years ago.

I heard the wait staff is "rewarded" by selling wine, the more they sell, the better their standing within the dining room. If they don't sell enough they can be demoted to assistants and what not. Is this still true or has anyone else heard this? I would think if it is true, you might tend to get a little more attentive service if you order wine. We have always ordered wine at dinner, but there is usually a few of us and one couple buys a bottle or 2 each night. Almost makes ya feel bad if you don't order some...so I need to know if this is true.

They obviously receive the 15% commission just as bar servers do, so that's more money in their pocket. However, they do have promotions if they sell a certain amount. These promotions are dependant on the ships managers (F & B etc. and what level they are trying to attain)

Just like housekeeping has certain promotions like if they sell three suite bathrobes or 5 regular bathrobes during a cruise they will get a shift off.

Archived