Queen Elizabeth's2 Captains ?

Martita B.

Many thanks!

Do you happen to know where these fine Captains will go when the QE2 goes to Dubai?

Thanks,

Martita B.

Captain Perkins told me he will be going to the QM2; as for Captain McNaught, I have no clue. He went on a six month 'sabbatical' to Princess once before, so might do so again or he might go to the QV. I suspect he may be marking time until the QE arrives.

Gavin

Captain Perkins told me he will be going to the QM2; as for Captain McNaught, I have no clue. He went on a six month 'sabbatical' to Princess once before, so might do so again or he might go to the QV. I suspect he may be marking time until the QE arrives.

Gavin

Earlier this month, one of the officers on QM2 told me that for one year (09), Cunard will have one too many captains and then the next year (10) it will have one too few. He went on to speculate that Captain McNaught will go to the QV in preparation for bringing out the QE and Captain Wright will succeed Commodore Warner when he retires.

In making your calculations, keep in mind that Chris Wells (formerly Staff Captain on QE2) is returning as captain to QM2 this summer. Chris is a good officer and it is great that he is returning.

Captain Perkins is also a good officer who is always pleasant and good to talk to.

In short, Cunard has an excellent senior line-up and some difficult decisions to make.

Earlier this month, one of the officers on QM2 told me that for one year (09), Cunard will have one too many captains and then the next year (10) it will have one too few. He went on to speculate that Captain McNaught will go to the QV in preparation for bringing out the QE and Captain Wright will succeed Commodore Warner when he retires.

In making your calculations, keep in mind that Chris Wells (formerly Staff Captain on QE2) is returning as captain to QM2 this summer. Chris is a good officer and it is great that he is returning.

Captain Perkins is also a good officer who is always pleasant and good to talk to.

In short, Cunard has an excellent senior line-up and some difficult decisions to make.

Far be it for me to tell Cunard where to send the senior staff, but:

• they have a new ship coming out. So all of them should "do time" so to speak on Victoria in preparation for Elizabeth.
  • The flagship QM2 is a prize worthy of them all.
  • Sending them to Princess will teach them both how lucky they are being Cunard Masters, not Princess Masters.

So why not rotate all to each, with a few short stints for each on other lines.

Or just give them some extra leave! Presumably in any event one of them will be coming to sail a desk for a while and look after Elizabeth whilst she is being built?

Matthew

Yes, Matthew. One will be at the yard overseeing the new QE... and there is always Fleet Ops to keep one busy if need be. Could also change the rotation scheduled too, to keep everyone busy.

I'll bet the OP was hoping one of Cunard's masters would be jumping over to Seabourn for their new Odyssey!

I spoke with Captain McNaught for quite some time several times during the QE2/QV tandem crossing and last year during the world cruise, and he said that he suspected he would be going to the QV. He will be the captain from the Farewell to the British Isles cruise forward and will deliver QE2 to Dubai.

Over the past several years I have come to know this fine man who, in my opinion and that of many others, is Cunard's finest and most-respected captain. No one loves and understands QE2 better than Ian McNaught, and this great liner deserves nothing less than Ian for the remainder of her days.

The other current QE2 captain is David Perkins with whom Captain McNaught is splitting this year's Extended Winter Voyage. Captain McNaught leaves QE2 in Singapore.

I am looking forward to sailing with him on QE2's last transatlantic crossing ever and back-to-back on a Southampton roundtrip cruise this fall. You will be fortunate if you have the experience to sail with Ian McNaught in command.

Bobby

I spoke with Captain McNaught for quite some time several times during the QE2/QV tandem crossing and last year during the world cruise, and he said that he suspected he would be going to the QV. He will be the captain from the Farewell to the British Isles cruise forward and will deliver QE2 to Dubai.

Over the past several years I have come to know this fine man who, in my opinion and that of many others, is Cunard's finest and most-respected captain. No one loves and understands QE2 better than Ian McNaught, and this great liner deserves nothing less than Ian for the remainder of her days.

The other current QE2 captain is David Perkins with whom Captain McNaught is splitting this year's Extended Winter Voyage. Captain McNaught leaves QE2 in Singapore.

I am looking forward to sailing with him on QE2's last transatlantic crossing ever and back-to-back on a Southampton roundtrip cruise this fall. You will be fortunate if you have the experience to sail with Ian McNaught in command.

Bobby

Bobby

Bobby,

By chance did he talk about how he feels about delivering her? Of course, if it's okay to talk about. It may not b. And then there are the persistent rumors that she may be sailing around that area for a bit before actual retirement.

Just curious.

Karie

Bobby,

By chance did he talk about how he feels about delivering her? Of course, if it's okay to talk about. It may not b. And then there are the persistent rumors that she may be sailing around that area for a bit before actual retirement.

Just curious.

Karie

Hi, Karie,

It is bittersweet for him, a mixture of sadness for the ship he loves so well, but a great honor at the same time for being the captain who will take her to her final home. Overall, he was in fine form for the tandem crossing. His noonday announcements were very witty, as is his custom. But I suspect underneath it all there is profound sadness as he ponders the void we will all be feeling soon. I feel fortunate to be on the last crossing and the next cruise out of Southampton with him in command.

Will you be making your first QE2 voyage this spring? If so I will be eager to hear your impressions.

Be well,

Bobby

PS... I will be in the Commodore Club nightly on the short QM2 cruise I am taking this weekend. Although I have been on QM2 previously, I never had a drink there. Which martinis do you recommend????? :confused: I recall from previous posts that you enjoy and are an expert on that venue!

Kris,

You can be me if you'd like!

I'm not having much fun at it at the moment! <LOL>

Bobby,

I am a martini purist. I believe a proper martini should be made with gin. You may wave a knife over a bottle of vermouth and then proceed to wave it over the cocktail shaker, if you must, but it should never NEVER have vodka in the same ROOM! Vodka, I always say, is for people who don't like the taste of real booze! If you don't like booze, then don't drink it!

That said, the Sapphire Martini (made with Bombay Sapphire) is pretty good! And ANYTHING you drink in the Commodore Club is bound to be good! And great staff up there, too! Even the new ones when Paul and others left!

Don't forget to watch the ship model!

Wish I was going with. I could use a break from life. Went out to the drug store to make it before closing time tonight. Got caught in a wicked snow squall! 30-40 mph winds, snow was really flying! Work sucks. Oh. You wouldn't know about that, now would you! <G> Are you picking up any substitute work or just enjoying your retirement? Glad you're going on my girl.

QE2- How could I not like? and I get to meet some of the regulars...or irregulars, is more like it! Both of our "M" boys will be on board- Matthew and Malcolm and Me all in the same venue! (And Marc, too!) Scary, huh? We have a special Thomas Tour that a wonderful member of this board arranged for us! One thing I WON'T do is play bridge with Bea! Sit and chat, maybe. Tell her I admire her chutzpah and that she can be cranky if she wants. But I will not endanger myself playing bridge with her. Commodore Warwick told me she gets VERY upset if someone makes a bad play! And I haven't played in a couple of decades! I've played with some folks with master points, but I'm not that good... or that brave!

So yeah, I am looking forward to it. I have been on a few older quirky ships. Even chose them for that reason. Cost was the reason we hadn't managed the QE2 in the past. We booked this one just before they announced her retirement. I wish you could be on her with us, Bobby! Are you scheduled for a last one before she goes?

Let us know how that trip goes. I hope you get some nice warm weather.

Karie

Karie --- there is no way that I could ever dream of being you! But thanks ever so much for the offer.

Kris

ps--we will miss the opportunity to meet TWICE as we are disembarking QE2 in NYC as you embark and we will be disembarking QM2 in Southampton as you embark.

Karie --- there is no way that I could ever dream of being you! But thanks ever so much for the offer.

Kris

ps--we will miss the opportunity to meet TWICE as we are disembarking QE2 in NYC as you embark and we will be disembarking QM2 in Southampton as you embark.

Well, THAT just seems BACKWARDs, if you ask me!

Oh, and yes, I know it must seem glamorous being me.

But it really isn't all it's cracked up to be, Fame fortune and beauty have their limits, you know! Of course, I wouldn't know, as I have none of them. but hey! Notoriety has to count for something! <LOL>

Thanks for the smile!

Karie

P.S. enjoy your trips! We'll wave as we pass!

Archived