4 Hours???!!!

charlene2021

I was reading somewhere on the NCL website "Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking.

Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing."

Does that mean that at every stop there is 2 hours before you can get off and then you have to be back on board 2 hours before the departure time? That's 4 hours total, which takes a big chunk of time out of some of the ports (Alaska).

Like in Victoria, BC 6:00 PM - 11:59 PM = 2 hours? Or am I misunderstanding things?

I was reading somewhere on the NCL website "Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking.

Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing."

Does that mean that at every stop there is 2 hours before you can get off and then you have to be back on board 2 hours before the departure time? That's 4 hours total, which takes a big chunk of time out of some of the ports (Alaska).

Like in Victoria, BC 6:00 PM - 11:59 PM = 2 hours? Or am I misunderstanding things?

I think you may have misunderstood the information. I believe you need to be aboard 2 hours before departure on the day your cruise starts as you have to go through the muster drill before the ship sails. At all other ports you usually need to be on board half an hour before sailing. Most ships dock a little earlier than their scheduled time so you can generally leave the ship half an hour after docking time (depending on clearance from the local port authority). It takes a little longer on final departure day as the luggage etc. has to be unloaded.

Don't worry about your times in alaska - they don't make you wait two hours to get off the ship and you don't have to wait two hours before they sail.

Once the ship docks and the ship is cleared by local authorities, you are set and ready to disembark for your excursions.

Five hours is not nearly enough time to explore the beautiful city of Victoria.

If I was doing the Gardens again I would not take the ship's excursion but instead I would hire a taxi to take me there. It will end up costing you the same amount as the ship excursion and you will get back to the ship a lot faster - even with the driver taking you the scenic route through town.

The other problem about the stop in Victoria is getting back to the ship in time for dinner.

Since our excursion left as soon as we docked we did not have time to eat before we left and by the time we got back - all the restaurants were closed with the exception of Blue Lagoon.

Needless to say, the Blue Lagoon was filled to capacity with a waiting list.

Have fun in alaska and don't worry about the times.

dennis

Archived