snorkel life perserver

Meredith9217

Don't know if this is what you are talking about, but I use something called an aqua belt for a deep water aerobics class. It is not a life preserver, but it provides some flotation while "jogging" in deep water and doing other exercises. I bought mine at my athletic club.

last time I was on a cruise and snorkeled there was a couple there who had a life perserver on that just went around their waist. I am trying to find a site to order one before we leave and cannot find anything. Does anyone know where I can order something like this?

Here is a link to snorkeling vests, they are designed specifically for snorkeling and may suit your needs:

http://www.123scuba.com/c-snorkeling-vest.html

I believe the prior post is correct and the product you saw was a "water workout" product being used in a snorkeling application.

last time I was on a cruise and snorkeled there was a couple there who had a life perserver on that just went around their waist. I am trying to find a site to order one before we leave and cannot find anything. Does anyone know where I can order something like this?

If it was like a rubber foam belt I don't think they use them anymore bacuase they were unsafe.

Bob

The "water workout" belt I have is like a foam belt, and it was probably being used, as the previous poster said, in a snorkeling application. They are not unsafe, but they are not sold to be used as a life vest. Neither are some snorkel vests (the lightweight, blow-up kind). Those devices are just meant to aid flotation, I believe. When we were snorkeling in open water on the Barrier Reef, we were required to wear approved life vests from the ship, and there is quite a difference.

Yes, let me clarify the point that neither "water workout" belts or snorkeling vests are a substitute for a USCG Certified Life Vest... And since life vests by design keep your head out of the water they are not the best choice for snorkeling.

The issue is added flotation for more comfortable snorkeling, there are multiple ways to do that as already pointed out and personal preference ply a big part in what you'll ultimately end up using. Many snorkelers forgo the vest/belt concept all together in place of a wetsuit that (in addition to positive buoyancy) provides warth and protection from the sun...

I love my wet suit...

Coming from a colder climate where I water ski in glacier fed lakes I thought I'd look like a whimp in a wet suit in Mexico!!!!:p

I've been looking into the yellow vest things but now think the sun protection factor is my excuse hmmm I mean reason for wearing my suit:D

Thanks for clearing that up for me

el tigre

• 3 weeks later...

Archived