Are Swim Diapers allowed in pool

frayedend

Frayedend,

Based upon your analysis and quotes, I would assume that it would be prudent that all parents NEVER take their children swimming in a public pool. Not because of the risk of the child spreading disease, but because it's no responsible parent would ever want to expose their child to something so risky.

Now, with that all said, if I personally had a choice, I would never allow a non-potty trained child in either a diaper or swim diaper into any public pool. I personally feel that it would statistically and dramatically lower the risk.

Royal Caribbean made such a prohibition on some of the pools. And even though it is speculation on my part, I can only assume that there is scientific data to back up such a decision...

OR ELSE THEY WOULDN'T HAVE MADE SUCH A DECISION!

You are not going to change my mind with any of your arguments. Just because you think other adult passengers could spread contamination doesn't mean your child won't. Two wrongs do not make it right!

Thanks for yelling at me. I guess my last apology didn't take too well. Not all rules are based on scientific fact. I won't quote any more statistics or anything. You really didn't get what I was trying to say and it would take too long to explain. I'm kind of sick of the whole thing now. I'm not too excited about my cruise and it is only 5 days away.

[quote name='dak_friendly']I'd love to have an explanation. One that explains what outcome you want to achieve. What do you think everyone else should think on this topic?[/QUOTE]

I guess I think everyone should think just like me ;)

Hee, hee, but really...I think we should have as much info as possible and make our own judgements. I think we should follow the rules regardless of our opinion. I think I learned a few things. I think I gave some good info. A discussion such as this can have no "outcome". It can help inform people. I think we should stop being nasty to eachother.

And the last thing for this post...a quote from Seinfeld. I believe Jerry called Kramer's hot tub a "Human Bacteria Frappe" Now that was funny.

Frayedend, you obviously "get it" now. These threads take on a life of their own and will probably continue as long as someone has something to say. ;)

This is amazing. I can't believe how many posts on this subject.

I think I need switch to a different subject like how good is the steak on RCCL. Then of course maybe we can get into food contamination, does steak need to be cooked well done....

I'm kind of sick of the whole thing now. I'm not too excited about my cruise and it is only 5 days away.

Frayedend, I'm in total agreement. My cruise is next month and not on RCI which I'm sure will make most here very happy since I'm bringing my 1 year old. We too were not aware of this rule (as it applies to all cruiselines besides Disney, if I've done my research right.) DH and I have been on 7 cruises so far but this will be our first with our DD. We had no idea this was a rule even after 7 cruises. We just never gave it a second thought. We were never upset by babies in pools. We don't think babies in water is the most disgusting thing on the face of the earth (even before we had a baby). I know according to these boards we are very much in the minority as most would rather eat slugs for dinner as to have to be next to a baby. I'm sure most will flame away b/c of this post although that is not my intention. I was just letting the OP know that they are not alone in not being aware of this rule. And since this is the rule, my DD will NOT be in the pools including the kiddie pools.

We are planning on this being our first and last cruise with our DD (which is alot coming from avid cruisers). We are looking into family friendly resorts in the Caribbean where we can just go to the beach daily. Actually, if we could cancel our cruise right now (of course and get our money back;-)) we would and just fly somewhere. All of the negative posts have very much put a damper on our excitement. Some will say it's crazy for it to affect us but I guess I can't help it b/c it has. Anway, enough sulking I guess! I genuinely hope you and your family have a great time. Have a safe trip.

I think I need switch to a different subject like how good is the steak on RCCL. Then of course maybe we can get into food contamination, does steak need to be cooked well done....

My husband just tells them to wipe its a$$, knock off the horns and walk it on out! MOOOOOOOO!

Thanks for the friendly post. It's nice for a change. I actually had a Disney Resort vacation booked and my wife's family talked us into going with them on the cruise. I was quite surprised at how adamant people are about kids. I think they are truly grossed out by kids. Have a great time on your cruise.

And next year I'll probably see you on the beach at some resort unless this cruise goes a lot better than I'm expecting at this point :)

. All of the negative posts have very much put a damper on our excitement.
Quote:

Originally Posted by frayedend

I'm kind of sick of the whole thing now. I'm not too excited about my cruise and it is only 5 days away.

OMG! You guys need to thicken up a bit! Because it was emphatically stated that you can't bring babies in diapers/swimmies into the pool, you're not excited about going on a cruise???? Is that the main reason you were going?

4_9_7.gif

Frayedend, I'm in total agreement. My cruise is next month and not on RCI which I'm sure will make most here very happy since I'm bringing my 1 year old.....

I am so sorry that you feel like this now. :( I am 23 and have no children, but still enjoy having kids on board. I love watching little ones plays and explore and squeel out in joy. I can't believe the negativity I am reading here towards kids. Do these people think that they were never kids before? :confused: I'm sure they were just as "loud and annoying" as they make every other child out to be when they were little.

I say take your DD, have a blast and don't let anyone here tell you different. Your DD is YOUR FAMILY and deserves to go on YOUR FAMILY vacation no matter what these people say. Let anyone flame me I don't care. I say if they don't like kids then it is their problem and that THEY should go somewhere else where children aren't allowed. Kids are allowed in the cruise your going on so don't feel ashamed for bringing her. (Well as long as you follow the rules and don't put her in the pool :) )

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayedend

OMG! You guys need to thicken up a bit! Because it was emphatically stated that you can't bring babies in diapers/swimmies into the pool, you're not excited about going on a cruise???? Is that the main reason you were going?

4_9_7.gif

It's not just the pool thing, it just seems that people are very angry and I feel like just coming aboard with a small child will have people giving me dirty looks. I'm sure that I'm wrong about it, but this board got way too negative. I'm gonna go read some of the happy boards so I can get excited again. Thanks :)

:) I'm like you. I can't understand why everyone is soooo out to get you over a simple question. You got the answer, though you expressed your dislike of the rule, apologized, said you'd follow the rule, yet they still flame away. Sometimes I think people on this board have nothing better to do. Complain. Complainers don't enjoy life, but sit around searching for a reason to be unhappy with it. Instead of flaming you and expressing their total dislike of children, why not give you some helpful suggestions?

For example, I saw a post on this topic some time back, but I can't remember if it was on this board or disboards or elsewhere. Anyway, someone wondered if they could bring one of those tiny blow up pools, would the staff fill it with water? The answer was yes. Someone else had done that. They packed a tiny pool and pump, blew it up, and placed it near their lawn chairs. The staff was more than happy to help fill it with water so their child could enjoy swimming too.

I realize there are people out there who let their kids run wild and break all the rules, but why assume frayed is one of those people? I think rather that frayed sounds like a responsible parent trying to find out the rules in advance so as to be prepared and is searching for possibilities to allow his child some fun water time as well. He too paid thousands of dollars for a fun vacation.

p.s. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. And they LOVE TO SWIM!!! However, due to pool contaminations like those mentioned above, my DH would prefer we not go to public pools. Luckily we have a boat and go to the lake a lot. He seems to think the lake is safer. I suppose in this case, it would be the ocean...If the kids can't go in the pools, I'd be sure to make the most of every beach day!:)

p.p.s. Frayed, a page or so ago when you asked to let this thread die because you had been educated, I thought...no way these complainers gonna let it die. Its too much fun yelling at someone you don't even know. If I were you, I'd just quit responding. They like to get a rise out of you. Don't give them that power.

It's not just the pool thing, it just seems that people are very angry and I feel like just coming aboard with a small child will have people giving me dirty looks. I'm sure that I'm wrong about it, but this board got way too negative. I'm gonna go read some of the happy boards so I can get excited again. Thanks :)
I don't believe anyone will give you dirty looks because you have a child. If they do, then give them back to them. (this board is also just a small sample of actual cruisers). You and your family will have a great time and don't let this ruin it for you. Go with a great attitude and you will have a wonderful vacation. Tell us about it when you get back. Good luck and No worries. :cool:

Frayedend just took the words out of my mouth. Only it's not just this board it's all of them. And I will agree I do need to thicken up a bit. I do let things get to me, I've always been sensitive to that I guess. And no that is not the only reason we are going. Just not sure what to do with the sea days now, that's all.

frayedend--(and kfleming) I have kids, mine are teens and my step-daughter is in her twenties now. I have a 3 yr. old granddaughter who is my joy! I used to own a daycare center for infants and toddlers, 6 wks through 2 yrs old! I have nothing against babies. Nothing at all! Love 'em as a matter of fact. I read that you weren't intending to take your little one in the pool once you were aware of the rules. Thanks. I'm sure most of the posters appreciate that. It's not the babies I object to, it's the parents who don't want to abide by the rules that I have a problem with...especially when it comes to health issues. (I'm also a nurse, 14 yrs in ICU) Thanks for searching for the right answer to the question.

I'm sure, too, that there will be plenty of people, like me, who ooh and ahh at other peoples babies on board the ship. Go and have a good time.

I feel quite a bit better now. I'm glad you understand where I was coming from. I'm sure we'll have a great time. The Mariner looks like a huge ship so I'm sure we'll keep busy.

Hope you all have fun cruising. Hey, in only 1.5 years my kids will both be old enough to swim on the boat. If I get him trained early he may even be okay next September :)

If you didn't like the answers about poopy diapers in the pool, you really won't like the answer about steaks on RCI. To quote our Head Waiter back in March. " The Chef refuses to prepare steaks less than med-well due to health reasons". That's just a fact of life on RCI. If you want a steak prepared the way you like it, pay the extra $$ and make your reservations at Chops. That's the only way you will know what you're getting. 1_4_39v.gif

Stretch

We are looking into family friendly resorts in the Caribbean where we can just go to the beach daily. Actually, if we could cancel our cruise right now (of course and get our money back;-)) we would and just fly somewhere. All of the negative posts have very much put a damper on our excitement. Some will say it's crazy for it to affect us but I guess I can't help it b/c it has. Anway, enough sulking I guess! I genuinely hope you and your family have a great time. Have a safe trip.

kfleming - absolutely NO MORE sulking about this. These are just people's opinions and not everyone on those cruise ships reads cruisecritic. We've been sailing with our kids since they were 3 and 5 and we've had a fabulous time each and every time. You will find things to do. I actually thought that little blow up pool thing on the pool deck sounded like a great idea (someone will likely beat me up about that). Do not get on that ship with the attitude that people will be unkind to you about your kids. We've only ever received complements about ours and the staff has been unbelievably wonderful to them.

frayed - take a deep breath and hit the unsubscribe button if one exists. This thread has been beaten to death. Just don't read it anymore because these 'kids on board threads' just go on and on and on. You will also have a great time and no one is going to give you any grief because as you say, you've got no problem following the rules.

Both of you, get excited about those cruises, take your families, be considerate of others on board (even if they're not, lol) and have a wonderful safe time. There are crabby people at land resorts too!

I'm sure my kid won't sit through dinner at chops, if he is allowed in at all. I'm not sure what restaraunts are adult only, but I think there may have been one or two.

The reason that bothers me is that I may be no expert on pool sanitation, but I am an quite educated on food microbiology. And, unless the steaks are rotten, the only bacteria (E. coli) would be on the surface. So if the steak is seared the middle can be blood red with no health issues. I hope this doesn't mean they are using rotten meat. ;)

(since hamburger is ground, the bacteria may be present throughout the meat and so needs to be cooked well)

Well I guess we got thru this and everyone can remain friendly. Frayenden, you are very lucky to have a young child, mine are grown, enjoy this little gift. Not everyone dislikes children, but like everything else there are people you do not want their environment disrupted. And like Mammallama said, it really isn't always the children, it is the parents. And when it is the children it is because the parents do not teach them how to behave. You sound like a very intelligent mom whom is trying to do what is right not only by your child but by the rules. Kudos

I do sincerely apologize to anyone that got offended by my posts. I will try in the future to be more careful.

Hey frayedend I am sorry you are taking it so personally, and I guess I understand why. I do think the idea is digusting, and I own my response. However, you are certainly not the only person who has considered this and at least you had the decency to ask before acting. I am not a parent, by choice, so I am less understanding and I know it. The posting you put on from the CDC about adults having the same issues is well worthy of my consideration. I have had two expensive overseas trips ruined by ill health and am now a little paranoid. And I love to swim. So I will take your CDC response in my mind next time I consider going underwater when I swim. Thank you.

Archived