Best cruise with kids?

jd_1976

We just had our first cruise with the kids and it went really well. We took our 4 kids on Costa and they loved it. I don't think I would ever sail Costa again and I'm trying to plan next year's trip and was wondering what the best cruise line with kids is.

Hi JD!

We had a great time on Norwegian with our two kids. I've never been on Royal Caribbean, but have heard great things about them, as well. If you tell us how old your kids are and where you'd like to sail from, we might be able to give you more specific ideas:)

I swear RCCL should start paying me a commission as much as I mention them on these boards but I honestly believe that RCCL ships (especially Voyager/Freedom class) are the most family friendly ships out there.

My 2nd choice would be a new Carnival ship...but all of the RCCL ships would have to fall off the Earth for me to do another Carnival ;)

My kids' favorite cruiseship (yes over Disney Magic) was RCCL Freedom of the Seas.

They have innovative things onboard like ice skating rinks, rock climbing, water park (H20 zone) and the Flow Rider (surfing onboard). And they have the best Adult only area (as far as I'm concerned) with the Solarium.

Some of the things on the Freedom ships are displayed here...

www.freedomoftheseas.com

My kids' favorite cruiseship (yes over Disney Magic) was RCCL Freedom of the Seas.

Yep... we have sailed on both as well and I have to agree that my kids had the best time and liked Freedom of the Seas and talk about it more than any other. We have taken the kids on 6 cruises so far and we have another coming up next month and guess what? It’s the Freedom of the Seas for a second time.

My life is more relaxed when the kids are having a good time, therefore I have a better time as well and never stop for a moment and wish that we had left the kids at home.

Yep... we have sailed on both as well and I have to agree that my kids had the best time and liked Freedom of the Seas and talk about it more than any other. We have taken the kids on 6 cruises so far and we have another coming up next month and guess what? It’s the Freedom of the Seas for a second time.

My life is more relaxed when the kids are having a good time, therefore I have a better time as well and never stop for a moment and wish that we had left the kids at home.

Freedom again? And not Liberty or Independence? ;)

We were suppose to be on Liberty in April, but had to cancel due to a scheduling conflict. So now I am just going to sit back and wait for Genesis to hit the water in 09.

It really depends upon if you are sailing purely for the sake of the kids. If so- go Disney. My son was 5 when we sailed on the Disney Wonder and he was ga-ga.

As for me- I personally like Celebrity the best for kids. Programs for kids the ages of yours are excellent. There is a kids dinner every nite if you want to send them and have an adult dinner. The staff and Fun Factory are both exceptional. I have tried other lines- I like Cunard too but the youth program is not as good.

Freedom again? And not Liberty or Independence? ;)

We were suppose to be on Liberty in April, but had to cancel due to a scheduling conflict. So now I am just going to sit back and wait for Genesis to hit the water in 09.

We are taking the 7 day out of Miami April 19th for spring break. It just worked out price wise with airfare along with we were given a great deal on 3 balcony cabins booking through Carnival because of something that happened on a previous Carnival cruise that only my wife and I went on.

We are taking the 7 day out of Miami April 19th for spring break. It just worked out price wise with airfare along with we were given a great deal on 3 balcony cabins booking through Carnival because of something that happened on a previous Carnival cruise that only my wife and I went on.

Ohhhh CARNIVAL Freedom and not Royal Carribean Freedom of the Seas? Yeah those 2 cruiselines have got to stop naming ships after each other. ;)

Ohhhh CARNIVAL Freedom and not Royal Carribean Freedom of the Seas? Yeah those 2 cruiselines have got to stop naming ships after each other. ;)

No RCCL and it leaves on the 20th. My mistake we leave the day before on the 19th to get there on the 20th.

It really depends upon if you are sailing purely for the sake of the kids. If so- go Disney. My son was 5 when we sailed on the Disney Wonder and he was ga-ga.

As for me- I personally like Celebrity the best for kids. Programs for kids the ages of yours are excellent. There is a kids dinner every nite if you want to send them and have an adult dinner. The staff and Fun Factory are both exceptional. I have tried other lines- I like Cunard too but the youth program is not as good.

I concur. Celebrity has always been a home run for us and on Jan. 17, '09, we head out on Summit with extended family and friends and are looking forward to all having a great time.

Barry

Hi JD!

We had a great time on Norwegian with our two kids. I've never been on Royal Caribbean, but have heard great things about them, as well. If you tell us how old your kids are and where you'd like to sail from, we might be able to give you more specific ideas:)

I am so glad to hear that! We will be taking our two on the Spirit on 4/27. Just booked it Monday and I am BEYOND excited! My kids will be 6 and a month shy of 3 when we sail.

I am so glad to hear that! We will be taking our two on the Spirit on 4/27. Just booked it Monday and I am BEYOND excited! My kids will be 6 and a month shy of 3 when we sail.

You are going to LOVE the Spirit. We had such a great time we'll be sailing her again in May:D Here's a link to the review I did when we came back last June:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=572026

You are going to LOVE the Spirit. We had such a great time we'll be sailing her again in May:D Here's a link to the review I did when we came back last June:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=572026

I read your review. I am SO GLAD you loved the kids club!!!!! I can't wait to try Freestyle Dining, as well!

We love freestyle dining and NCL Kid's Crew as well, but in all honesty, if you just want to try a different line, I think you should book based on itinerary and price. I really don't believe there is a cruiseline sailing right now that isn't a good family experience. They all have children's programs and they all have areas of the ship designed for children. Keep in mind, though, a ship can have all the amenities in the world, but your kids might not care if they've found something else that's fun. (every parent has had that experience where they give their child the 'best present ever' and it gets pushed aside in lieu of the box and wrapping, haven't they? :p )

For us, we will continue to return to NCL because of the freestyle concept. It just really works for us. That doesn't mean we won't go on any other ships, just that NCL is our preference. As can be seen on this thread, most people have a preference, and we all have our own reasons for our choices. As I was saying, though, I really don't think there is a 'bad' cruise, and I know my daughter will have an incredible time on any ship I take her on. :)

We did Costa with our 4 kids because 3 went free with their Kids Sail Free promo... Our kids were 10, 9, 6 and 4 and they did like Costa.. hubby and I knew better and REFUSE to go back. We absolutely love RCCL for us and decided even though the cost is more, to take the kids on RCCL. We are doing Liberty in December. The kids saw Freedom on TV and they are hooked. I will work a couple of OT hours a week to pay the extra for Liberty though (Costa cost us $1629 for 6 of us in 2 OV rooms... RCCL will be $4300!) but I am hearing its worth it!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived