Do you have to eat in the dining room?

inanotherlife

My husband (28yo) is not sure if his clothes will be dressy enough (he doesn't own a tux obviously or even a suit jacket, but he does have ties, dress shirts, dress pants, & dress shoes) for the two formal nights on our Carnival Liberty Cruise in September.

So my question is, do we have to eat in the dining rooms during formal night or is there another area that we can eat at? I'd rather find something else for dinner on those nights than for him to think he's embarassing me, as he's stated he's afraid of doing. He knows how much this cruise means to me! :p

My husband (28yo) is not sure if his clothes will be dressy enough (he doesn't own a tux obviously or even a suit jacket, but he does have ties, dress shirts, dress pants, & dress shoes) for the two formal nights on our Carnival Liberty Cruise in September.

So my question is, do we have to eat in the dining rooms during formal night or is there another area that we can eat at? I'd rather find something else for dinner on those nights than for him to think he's embarassing me, as he's stated he's afraid of doing. He knows how much this cruise means to me! :p

You can eat at the buffet, fish and chips, or order room servive, then there's the deli too. Plenty of options. Oh yeah, the pizzaria.

You can eat at the buffet, fish and chips, or order room servive, then there's the deli too. Plenty of options. Oh yeah, the pizzaria is always open.

That is all he will need for formal night. Polo and khakis are fine for the other nights. Go and eat in the formal dining room and ENJOY!!!!!

On the other hand....wear the shirt and tie, dress pants and dress shoes. He will not be the only one without a jacket. He will probably be more dressed than some of the people there.

Like others have said, the buffet is great and there's always PIZZA!!! Great stuff!

No problems if he doesn't want to dress for formal night. If I could have blown off one or two things on my last cruise I would have done the same thing. ;)

A friend of mine, on her last cruise, brought just casual clothes which was cool until she got invited to dine at the Captain's table... Of course, she had to decline!!

I think the only thing they ask you not to do, and its not a written rule, is not to wear shorts to the evening dining room. Of course, you could rent a tux from the tux rental shop on board the ship, but that is definitely not required. If you and your husband do dress for formal night, get plenty of pictures and pick out your favs at the end of the cruise.

You guys are good and fast! Thanks for all the replies.

I'm not trying to portray my husband as a slob or anything, we're both college educated, he's just not in a profession that requires suits. ;)

I think we'll take his dressy clothes and gauge the formal evenings once they begin. If we feel underdressed will hit the buffet, and if we look to be on the same playing field as others then we'll go for it.

Thanks so much!

We've seen people arrive for Formal night in all manner of attire, including Sweats ................ they will not bar you from the dining room, and if you were to miss the first formal night then you miss out on the Lobster. Can't get it at the Buffet and it's only served on the first formal night dinner.

Have him wear his slacks, shirt and tie and he'll fit inwith at least half the other gents in the room. Formal Night is for those of us who want an excuse to dress up. I do appreciate that there are only 2, on our cruise in 1985, you dressed up for dinner every night .......... period!

Go and enjoy your cruise! Tux and/or formal wear or not.

The last cruise that I was on I seen some men just wear a dress shirt ,tie and dress pants and carnival was okay with that.

I know I'm gonna catch it but...

Go and have fun, don't worry about the clothes...really how many of these people will you ever see again anyway...dress to impress each other, not the other passengers.

just no jeans on formal night...;)

I know I'm gonna catch it but...

Go and have fun, don't worry about the clothes...really how many of these people will you ever see again anyway...dress to impress each other, not the other passengers.

just no jeans on formal night...;)

I agree 100%. The reason I wear a tux is because my wife likes it so much. If it was up to me, polo shirt and khaki pants would be the dress of the day. I'm on a CRUISE for goodness sakes.

He can go to a Mens warehouse or a Three day suit broker and get a nice suit, dress shirt and tie for $300. or less. I recommend a black one for any and all future needs. He could even just get a nice pair of slacks and two different types/color of dress shirts (tie less) and mix and match for both night. Why, because IMHO the food/entrées on these nights is usually the best. Don't miss it. Tell him not to worry about what other think, it just takes a little effort.;)

He can go to a Mens warehouse or a Three day suit broker and get a nice suit, dress shirt and tie for $300. or less.

:eek: Surely you are kidding. Most of us cannot afford to spend an extra $300 just for a suit that he'll probably only wear to a wedding or something. If I had an extra $300 to spend I would have upgraded my cabin.:rolleyes: I would rather spend the $300 on excursions or drinks for my friends at the bars than on a suit that would hardly ever be worn. Go to Goodwill & buy a sport coat ($25). Thats the ticket.

:eek: Surely you are kidding. Most of us cannot afford to spend an extra $300 just for a suit that he'll probably only wear to a wedding or something. If I had an extra $300 to spend I would have upgraded my cabin.:rolleyes: I would rather spend the $300 on excursions or drinks for my friends at the bars than on a suit that would hardly ever be worn. Go to Goodwill & buy a sport coat ($25). Thats the ticket.

Thanks Yukon! This is sort of our deal. We've been saving our money for awhile for this trip and spending a great deal on a suit for him is just not practical for us. He really wouldn't wear it again, even to a wedding. Our regular lifestyle just doesn't call for it.

We're both completely fine with not eating in the dining room if his tie, dress shirt & slacks aren't appropriate.... I just wanted to make sure there were other options for dinner. :D

No one has to eat in the dining room at all durning the cruise. As for formal night, I saw men wearing dress pants and shirt and a tie--no jacket. Formal night is optional to dress up. I wear my dress pants that double as work pants and a nice blouse. There are those that go all out, but wear what you like. They won't tell you you can't eat in the dining room on formal night because you are not dressed in formal wear.

I like the food in the dining room as the choices on the Lido deck can be limited and the desserts can be disappointing at night (they are awesome from 11-2 or 3, but suck after 6pm). Sadly, my mother and niece didn't want to go to the dining room after the first formal night and it wouldn't be fun eating all alone at a table for four when there was no fourth person!!! We ate on Lido from day 3 onwards, which disappointed me because last night at sea the menu had several items I wanted on it!!!!

Meaning you can eat where ever you want.....this will be my wife's [8th] and mine [7th] cruise......we eat in the dining when we feel like it....yes I wear a suit to the formal...but your husband will blend right in with his dress shirt , tie, slacks and dress shoes.......on our 7 day cruise we may eat in dining room 3 times....but then you have people who would not miss it....it is up to you both to decide.................but have fun.....and feel free to order more...........

On our last cruise (Freedom 1-19), we did not eat in the dining room other than 1 breakfast. I no longer travel with a suit or even a tie, but I do dreess resort casual in the evenings. We ate pizza, sushi, sandwichs, and the buffet. Only 1 night the buffet really had nothing good on it. I liked doing our on thing and not having to rush off to dinner, it was nice and we will be doing it on our next cruise also. By the way we ate in the Supper Club on formal night and I didn't need a jacket.

Thanks Yukon! This is sort of our deal. We've been saving our money for awhile for this trip and spending a great deal on a suit for him is just not practical for us. He really wouldn't wear it again, even to a wedding. Our regular lifestyle just doesn't call for it.

We're both completely fine with not eating in the dining room if his tie, dress shirt & slacks aren't appropriate.... I just wanted to make sure there were other options for dinner. :D

Eating in the dining is special in itself; on formal night it is wonderful.

Your husband will be just fine in a shirt and tie. Don't worry about the lack of a sports coat/jacket. (I have seen many men take their jackets off before dinner is even over so they are only wearing shirts and ties for most of the meal.)

Go to formal night and enjoy yourselves.

Archived