Good beaches for little ones

Ringading007

We are sailing on the Carnival Freedom in just over a week. Can anyone advise us of good beaches in St Thomas (US Virgin Islands) and St Maarten (Netherlands Antilles) for a 4-year old and his 10 month old sister please? Will we need to try to organise transportation before we arrive, or are taxis widely available at these places (I think there are a number of ships docking on the same day as us...) Thanks for your help!:)

Taxis are everywhere at these two ports....literally just lined up. The only problem you *may* have is lugging car seats and finding a taxi with seat belts. I have been in taxis in both St.Martin and St.Thomas and the way they drive is not for the faint of heart. :eek: ;)

In St.Thomas you can go to Megan's Bay. Or go to Coral World (an aquarium) with Coki Beach right next door.

In St.Martin, I have only been to Orient Beach so I can't recomend another one (and Orient Beach is truly European so women go topless and there is a clothing optional resort at the far end of the beach). Some parents here have discussed Divi Beach. So you might want to do a search for that one.

On ST. Martin, we rented a car and went to LeGalleon Beach, which is a very calm beach sometimes referred to as the "baby" beach due to the calm, shallow waters. There is a small beach bar/restaurant with chairs to rent. Very quiet. It is located down the road past the butterfly farm, not too far from Orient beach.

Our little ones also enjoyed saphire beach on St. Thomas- not nearly as crowded as when we went to Coki.

Thanks for all the info, Michele! Good point about lugging our car seats (which we always do!) - not sure where I'll put them on the beach!!

If you took a cruise sponsored tour (granted they are more expensive) then the transportation would either be a bus (no car seats allowed) or a shuttle van. If it's a shuttle van then you could keep the car seats in the van while you were at the beach. :)

Pinel island and Le Gallion were favorites of our DD's. They are both calm and LeGallion has a good amount of shade as well. I found the snorkeling great at Sapphire Beach but the sand was much finer and the water much clearer at Coki Beach.

Karysa

I'm going to give my 2 cents on St Thomas. We've been to both Coki and Magen's Bay and we love Magen's Bay--it is in the shape of a horseshoe so it is protected from most of the surf you find on other beaches. The key is to go first thing in the morning when everyone else is shopping. Plus, I have found that my little ones do better in the morning before naps than after naps.

Archived