Formal Night: Shirt & Tie

ahotcouple

Despite what the casual crowd here says, most men will wear a dark business suit, white or solid color shirt and a tie. A certain percentage will wear a tuxedo. I do as I found one online for less than the cost of renting one.

Doc

We are cruising on Carnival Liberty in a couple of weeks.05

On the formal night, would my husband look our of place wearing a pair of dress pants, shirt & tie?

Or, do most men wear tuxedoes?

THanks!

Yes he will need a jacket. There is a 70% chance they will not seat him without a jacket. There is an 80% chance someone will complain and then they won't seat him on the 2nd formal night. There is a 90% chance he will get a lot of dirty and disgusted looks. There is a 100% chance that someone will go home and talk about it on these boards.

Why not just wear the darn thing? I like dressing up. I'll be wearing a tux I just bought on my next cruise. I will also be bring 4 suits to wear on the nights that aren't formal.

Yes he will need a jacket. There is a 70% chance they will not seat him without a jacket. There is an 80% chance someone will complain and then they won't seat him on the 2nd formal night. There is a 90% chance he will get a lot of dirty and disgusted looks. There is a 100% chance that someone will go home and talk about it on these boards.

Why not just wear the darn thing? I like dressing up. I'll be wearing a tux I just bought on my next cruise. I will also be bring 4 suits to wear on the nights that aren't formal.

MAC!! Stop it :p You have not even been on a cruise yet... there is no possible way you could know this.

OP, that will be FINE! There will be PLENTY of people without jackets, or with the jacket on their chair anyway... There is about a 1% chance he will get a dirty look, but probably from someone that already has their face frozen that way anyhow :p They will definitely seat him, nobody will complain :rolleyes: And you will have a lovely evening... and don't worry, nobody will talk about him on the boards. Me thinks we have a trouble maker in the mix...

I sailed on the Liberty twice and the Formal Nights were New Years Eve's.

Alot of Tux's on that night but the other Formal men were in suites and sport jackets, with shirts and ties. If I were him not to look like a sore thumb I'd bring the jacket.

Joe

MAC!! Stop it :p You have not even been on a cruise yet... there is no possible way you could know this.

OP, that will be FINE! There will be PLENTY of people without jackets, or with the jacket on their chair anyway... There is about a 1% chance he will get a dirty look, but probably from someone that already has their face frozen that way anyhow :p They will definitely seat him, nobody will complain :rolleyes: And you will have a lovely evening... and don't worry, nobody will talk about him on the boards. Me thinks we have a trouble maker in the mix...

Actually I know this from reading these boards. I saw that many people say that you will get dirty looks if you do not wear a suit on formal night. :)

Actually I know this from reading these boards. I saw that many people say that you will get dirty looks if you do not wear a suit on formal night. :)

I'll give you one piece of advice as a newbie here... don't believe everything you read ;) That goes for everywhere though... you will not get dirty looks if you do not wear a suit on formal night on Carnival.

If you are going to the effort of putting on a tie you just as well take the jacket. You can take it off at the table while you eat if you are more comfortable. If you partake in pictures that evening you will look better with the jacket IMO. Besides that.........with just a white shirt and tie you might be confused with the wait staff and be put to work.:eek:

Im just curious, Do you get a clip board and a whistle when you join the dress code police?

If you are going to the effort of putting on a tie you just as well take the jacket. You can take it off at the table while you eat if you are more comfortable. If you partake in pictures that evening you will look better with the jacket IMO. Besides that.........with just a white shirt and tie you might be confused with the wait staff and be put to work.:eek:

I agree... a man looks better with a jacket than just a shirt and tie (my opinion only) for pictures. But he will not be turned away from the dining room, given dirty looks (from anyone with any amount of class that is) or complained about. This is Carnival, everyone here knows they will see at least one other person in the dining room on formal night that is far more underdressed than the guy wearing a shirt and tie :p

I agree... a man looks better with a jacket than just a shirt and tie (my opinion only) for pictures. But he will not be turned away from the dining room, given dirty looks (from anyone with any amount of class that is) or complained about. This is Carnival, everyone here knows they will see at least one other person in the dining room on formal night that is far more underdressed than the guy wearing a shirt and tie :p

Just because it happens doesn't make it right. Just MHO.

Just because it happens doesn't make it right. Just MHO.

Oh I know Mac... just like when you told someone to circumvent the CC rules so you could see the name of a TA?? Since we are spouting off about "rules" and what is right vs what isn't right. I find it funny coming from a guy that posted about wanting to see naked people on the ship :p

Oh I know Mac... just like when you told someone to circumvent the CC rules so you could see the name of a TA?? Since we are spouting off about "rules" and what is right vs what isn't right. I find it funny coming from a guy that posted about wanting to see naked people on the ship :p

Okay it's true that I would like to be able to know what TA's are bad and which ones are good. I don't think that is an ureasonable request? But if it's breaking the rules it would be nice if you could send private messages so we could find these things out. Can you send PM's? I don't understand why you shouldn't be able to.

Also, last time I checked looking a nude women in an adults only area wasn't breaking any rules.:D It's just fun.:cool:

Okay it's true that I would like to be able to know what TA's are bad and which ones are good. I don't think that is an ureasonable request? But if it's breaking the rules it would be nice if you could send private messages so we could find these things out. Can you send PM's? I don't understand why you shouldn't be able to.

Also, last time I checked looking a nude women in an adults only area wasn't breaking any rules.:D It's just fun.:cool:

Bottom line is it's a rule here, and there is no PM system here... there is a rule about no TA info being shared. So just because YOU think the rule is silly it's okay for you to break it??? Yet there is no rule about jeans in the dining room, but you want people to not wear jeans because it bothers you? Oh let me wrap my head around this :p

Well coming from the women that were offended by your comments in that thread that was deleted... it might be fun for you, but we call it something else :eek:

Okay it's true that I would like to be able to know what TA's are bad and which ones are good. I don't think that is an ureasonable request?

Always check with http://welcome.bbb.org/ I check there anytime i do buisness with someone. Keep in mind though even the Pope would have a few negative entries. Just see how many and what the trends are.

If you decide not to do buisness with a buisness let them know that you are not because of what the BBB says about them.

I have nothing to do with the BBB but i think its a great resource for consumers.

Bottom line is it's a rule here, and there is no PM system here... there is a rule about no TA info being shared. So just because YOU think the rule is silly it's okay for you to break it??? Yet there is no rule about jeans in the dining room, but you want people to not wear jeans because it bothers you? Oh let me wrap my head around this :p

Well coming from the women that were offended by your comments in that thread that was deleted... it might be fun for you, but we call it something else :eek:

I can see being offended by jeans, but who is going to be offended by seeing the name of a TA? I have never been offended because someone said a TA was bad. Maybe someone would like to say a TA is good, how can that offend anyone? I thought this site was about researching for a cruise. How can you research if you can't get the names of a TA?

Always check with http://welcome.bbb.org/ I check there anytime i do buisness with someone. Keep in mind though even the Pope would have a few negative entries. Just see how many and what the trends are.

If you decide not to do buisness with a buisness let them know that you are not because of what the BBB says about them.

I have nothing to do with the BBB but i think its a great resource for consumers.

Thanks for the website.

Again Mac, you are trying to convince us that we should agree with the rules you think are good, and we should disagree with the rules you think are bad. And the "rule you think is good" isn't even a rule. We don't question the rules here, it is a free site for us. If you want to find out if a TA is good or not, do your research. You keep saying you believe everything you read, so I would really caution you doing research, as everyone has different experiences. In this day and age, it is very easy to research a company... you just aren't going to get that research done on this site.

to the OP - don't get bent out of shape re the dress code ........ you will see the full range of casual to formal wear and it isn't a big deal ...... bear in mind that people who take the time and effort to post here on most subjects are particularly passionate about their favourite subject.

Some people on board love to dress up, some find it a chore and prefer a more casual style.

IMO--Posting about wanting to see nude women on the ship isn't "just fun"--it's voyueristic and childish.

Archived