help decide

momxthree

we have three kids 10,8,2 and cruised carnival with the older two. We all really enjoyed the cruise with the exception of camp carnival which my kids really weren't interested in (the counsellors did not engage the kids just supervised them) so we would like to cruise again but may bring our 2yo, has anyone had any experience with carnival at that age? we are choosing carnival due to the fact that they look after the two yr old as we are hoping to be able to go to meals (the baby will not sit thru a meal!!) and do excursions with the older kids. Any suggestions? also how do you manage to go to evening shows with a baby? The easier solution it to just take the older kids again? We just miss the baby when she isnt with us?

I never took along a child that small on a cruise, but I seem to remember reading that Camp Carnival will not take them unless they are potty trained. So that might be a consideration for you. Or maybe they do, and they just page you to come change them. Someone else can probably answer that question better. Some ships will not let you leave your child on board while you are ashore either, especially if they have to page you to come change a diaper;).

As far as the older kids go, my experience with any of the kids club has been that the counselors are very good about getting involved with the kids. I've never seen them just "supervise." So on this cruise, I would suggest that the older kids try Camp Carnival again and see if they like it better this time.

Carnival will change diapers. Norwegian is the line that takes 2 year old but pages you for diaper changes! Either one could be a good choice for you!

I don't think you can leave your 2 year old on board and go on excursions while in port. You might have to trade off with your husband... one of you taking the older kids on excursions in port and the other taking your toddler and hitting the beach! Or just jump in a cab and ask the driver to take you to a nice beach. When we took our honeymoon cruise we didn't book any excursions... just asked the cab driver to take us somewhere great. In Barbados we went to a small beach and were able to take a boat out and snorkel right next to an excursion group. Then we went back to the beach and rented a jet ski for a bit.... it worked out so much better and cheaper than the excursions!

Good luck on your decision! We have a 2 year old and are planning on cruising with Carnival this summer too.... it will be the first cruise for both of our boys (our older son is 6)! I sure hope my boys enjoy camp carnival... from all the info and pics they have seen they are both very excited to go!

No the child doesn't have to be potty trained for Carnival (or NCL) so you'll be fine :D

My 3 year old prefers Camp Carnival over RCCL AO which is too bad since I prefer the RCCL ships.

If you follow the link in my signature, you can see the activities for the 2-5 year old group.

And yes they allow you to leave your child on the ship while you do the excursions with the older kids. (I don't advise it, long story, there is a link around here somewhere about it) but it can be done. :)

Archived