Miami Biscayne Bay Hotel...

dutch59

I have a pre-cruise (1 night)reservation at that hotel. What is this hotel like, and are there things to do at night around it. We'll have a rental car, so getting around, we can do. We will be sailing LOS in March 2009, but I'd like to give the rest of our party some knowledge.

I have a pre-cruise (1 night)reservation at that hotel. What is this hotel like, and are there things to do at night around it. We'll have a rental car, so getting around, we can do. We will be sailing LOS in March 2009, but I'd like to give the rest of our party some knowledge.

IMO the hotel is in bad shape. I know that hilton bought it out and has an extensive plan to redo the hotel, but the rooms have a nasty smell to them, the ice machines on the floors do not work, the showers had mold in them, there maid service must be blind, I found broken up pretzels around the nite stand.

There is another hotel attached to it by going through the parking garage that has out of this world food, if i remember i will let you know.

This is the hotel that I always use for pre cruise out of Miami and have never had any issues at all with the hotel. The rooms have always been very clean and the staff very friendly. The views of the port are great. Also, it is my understanding that Hilton purchased the old Radisson which is next door. I have not heard anything about them purchasing the Marriott as it is still a Marriott property and the Radisson is now a Hilton property according to the Hilton website.

NavigatorOTS115.jpg

Wow! I am surprised at that review. We stayed their last June when we sailed on the Liberty. I did not find any of the problems with it that were stated. Mariott Biscayne was great and we enjoyed it very much. We found our room very clean and the lobby very nice. We ate in one of their restaurants and the food was good. Our room at the Mariotts has the same view from our window of the port. We were up early and watched the Liberty come in and dock. We would definitely stay their again.

This is the hotel that I always use for pre cruise out of Miami and have never had any issues at all with the hotel. The rooms have always been very clean and the staff very friendly. The views of the port are great. Also, it is my understanding that Hilton purchased the old Radisson which is next door. I have not heard anything about them purchasing the Marriott as it is still a Marriott property and the Radisson is now a Hilton property according to the Hilton website.

NavigatorOTS115.jpg

cruisingator--

I am confused--you said "Hilton purchased the old Radisson which is next door." I just stayed there last week and it's my understanding that the "old Radisson next door" is now referred to as Miami Biscayne Bay Hotel:

38509840415_0_ALB.jpg

isn't this the place the OP is asking about? Then it's not next door, it IS it. I am so confused...

Anyway, while I didn't think it was quite as bad as Brian thought, the elevators were horrendously slow (note to OP-head out EARLY to get down to the motor lobby or if you can manage your luggage down the stairs do that.) The lobby was lovely, the pool area seemed run down and was nothing special, our room was worn and tired looking, but clean, just smelled a bit closed up. We had a terrible view of the ugly rooftops below, could barely see a smidge of a corner of what your gorgeous view was if we smashed our faces to the (kinda dirty) window.

For a pre-cruise one night stay where you just need a place to crash, it's fine. If I were staying for any length of time and wanted someplace special, I'd choose another place.

Also we considered renting a car but skipped it in favor of seeing the city via the Metromover, which I'm glad we did. Of course if you plan to venture any farther than downtown then that wouldn't work. We spent a few hours at Bayside which was a blast, then spent a few hours riding the metromover, getting off here or there to check out this or that. Great fun.

cruisingator--

I am confused--you said "Hilton purchased the old Radisson which is next door." I just stayed there last week and it's my understanding that the "old Radisson next door" is now referred to as Miami Biscayne Bay Hotel:

38509840415_0_ALB.jpg

isn't this the place the OP is asking about? Then it's not next door, it IS it. I am so confused...

Anyway, while I didn't think it was quite as bad as Brian thought, the elevators were horrendously slow (note to OP-head out EARLY to get down to the motor lobby or if you can manage your luggage down the stairs do that.) The lobby was lovely, the pool area seemed run down and was nothing special, our room was worn and tired looking, but clean, just smelled a bit closed up. We had a terrible view of the ugly rooftops below, could barely see a smidge of a corner of what your gorgeous view was if we smashed our faces to the (kinda dirty) window.

For a pre-cruise one night stay where you just need a place to crash, it's fine. If I were staying for any length of time and wanted someplace special, I'd choose another place.

You're correct. After re-reading the OP's original question I see where they are asking about a different hotel. The Marriott is called the Marriott Biscayne Bay. I misread the name. Sorry for the confusion.

Does anyone know where you can park for free that would be close enough to this hotel with out paying the 25$ parking fee. Possibly, it would be more reasonable to take a taxi as opposed to renting[ by the time I pay for rental fees and parking fees.]

This hotel is being taken over by Hilton as of 3-1-08 and hopefully will be renovated soon. I bid on Priceline and got this property and it has gotten really poor feedback for a 3 star hotel.

I was also wandering if the hotel is within walking distance of any shops or restaurants? I would appreciate any insight. Thanks

Has anyone ever stayed at the one right by the pier on 300 Biscayne Blvd? I've read a few reviews on their website, but I feel more comfortable asking my fellow cruisers. We are thinking of 1 night pre-cruise. Any help would be great.

Has anyone ever stayed at this Hotel (pre-cruise) on Biscayne Blvd.

Does anyone know where you can park for free that would be close enough to this hotel with out paying the 25$ parking fee. Possibly, it would be more reasonable to take a taxi as opposed to renting[ by the time I pay for rental fees and parking fees.]

This hotel is being taken over by Hilton as of 3-1-08 and hopefully will be renovated soon. I bid on Priceline and got this property and it has gotten really poor feedback for a 3 star hotel.

I was also wandering if the hotel is within walking distance of any shops or restaurants? I would appreciate any insight. Thanks

Anyone know status of Hilton's renovations? We are cruising in April...location seems good as can take Peoplemover to Bayside. Anyone been in that area recently and know status on Hilton Miami Biscayne Bay?

As I said I was just there last week. The renovations were underway, the only part of the renovations that were bothersome to us was the slow elevator but I don't think that was 100% due to the renovations.

To the person looking for cheap parking, we didn't see any and heard there really is none that is why we nixed the rental car idea. If you are looking to go to South Beach or somewhere other than downtown, I'd take a cab. For restaurants/shopping nearby, go out the front of the hotel, take a left and another left and you will be at a MetroMover station. Jump on and read the map, jump off at Bayside Marketplace. TONS of shops and restaurants there, I give my nod to Bubba Gumps :)

If you need a Walgreens or Publix, take the MM to almost near the end of the route farthest from Omni (the station you first got on) and as you are riding look down to your left. When you see it hop off at the next stop. There are probably other drug stores in between but that was the one that was closest to and could be seen from the Metromover and it was a neat way for us to see that part of the city.

Enjoy!

Anyone know status of Hilton's renovations? We are cruising in April...location seems good as can take Peoplemover to Bayside. Anyone been in that area recently and know status on Hilton Miami Biscayne Bay?

It is my understanding from my research that renovations are to be completed by mid-March when Hilton officially takes over the name.

We stayed at this hotel just last December when it was still a Radisson and did not encounter any problems except for slow elevators. We had a corner room on the 8th floor with floor to ceiling windows along two walls overlooking the water with great views of the cruise ships at the dock. There is a skywalk connecting the hotel to the Marriott and the Doubletree and the price we paid (by bidding on Priceline) was $65 a night which made it a real bargain. :) The People Mover station within a short walk makes it convenient to get to Bayside Marketplace in the daytime. (At night I'd suggest taking a cab, if you can find a driver willing to take you on such a short trip). Didn't notice any garages close by that would save you the parking fee charged by the hotel, but most of the hotels in the area have similarly exorbitant rates, so I suspect that cheaper public parking garages are few and far between.:(

We stayed there at the end of August. Athough the room were clean ours was extremely small. The way the bathroom jutted into the main room caused us to have to go side ways to get past the bed. We had breakfast in their restaurant. The food was lousy and very expensive. I would not recommend it.

There is also not transport to the ships from this hotel. It costs $6 per person by cab which isn't too bad but we thought it was pricey for 11 people in one van.

In April we will be staying at the Holiday Inn which is conveniently located across from Bayside.

We had hotel to pier transfers so transportation to the pier was easy for us, and it went well. There was a sign in the motor lobby telling us what time our bus would be there. The bus came on time, took about 30 mins to get everyone/everything loaded onto it-there were about 30-40 ppl from the hotel going to the pier. Getting off was even quicker. I am one of the few who thinks that getting the transfers is totally worth it.

It is my understanding from my research that renovations are to be completed by mid-March when Hilton officially takes over the name.

I'll keep checking the boards. Right now we are flying into FLL 2 days pre-cruise(late April) and booked in FL but may consider staying closer to miami port if this Hilton is renovated....we are HHonors so I'd like to use some points.

Thanks for your feedback.:)

You can use your points at the Doubletree Biscayne Bay...it is a Hilton also.

Lou

Re: Doubletree Biscayne Bay. Have you stayed there? Is is nice - particularly how are the rooms, renovated recently? I like the idea of a suite as there are 5 of us(myself,DH, 3kids) Also, how far to a beach, and how is the pool?

Thanks!

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. I appreciate all the info. I will nix the rental car as well and take a taxi due to high parking fees. I will also check out the metro and try to get to Publix for my last minute items.

I have called Biscayne Bay and they assured me that by the end of April all rooms will have been renovated. That makes me feel a little better as reviews of this hotel on Priceline were not very favorable. Happy Cruising to all.

Miami Beach is a hop, skip, and a jump away from there. The hotel is on Bayshore Drive which is what Bayside Marketplace is on. Bayside is fun on weekend nights... it has a Hardrock, a Chilis, a Hooters, sometimes live music outside. If you were to drive there yourself at night I would just take the straight shot down Bayshore drive, if you head west and end up getting lost you will be in downtown Miami at night which have areas that aren't pleasant.

Archived