Kerry's Girls

elmom

Hi! I was reading through a thread (about bring kids and potential comments). I saw you had toddlers you took cruising and your husband uses a wheelchair? We have toddlers (1 and 2 right now) and my husband uses a wheelchair. We have never cruised before and have a trip scheduled for Feb on Disney Magic. I would love to email and get some tips and pointers if you have time. My email is carriemp@gmail.com

_______________________________________________edit___________________________________________

I am soooooooooooooo sorry. I just read an old post and saw that you lost your husband. I am so sorry to hear. I just assumed he was disabled like my husband.

No worry Carrie - I have done it both ways, unfortunately just never all together! My husband and I did a lot of travel and in my opinion, cruise ships are the easiest way to vacation with a wheelchair - generally enough room and automatic doors. Cabins that can handle a wheelchair also just happen to be much better with kids as well - closer to the elevator with wide doors, etc. The biggest thing is to never be in a hurry as the wait for elevators can be long, but it's a very small inconvenience.

There is a great board here that will have lots of tips for cruising in a wheelchair - specific to whatever kind he's using (it's different with automatic, etc as far as using tenders, etc). With all the talk about rude comments to those cruising with children, the worst comments I ever heard actually were about my husband and his wheelchair. Since he didn't look like he belonged in one, a few people felt free to sneer about trying to get preferential treatment by using a wheelchair.

Please feel free to ask anything that comes to mind. I haven't done a Disney cruise, but it sounds like the perfect family vacation - a good time for the four of you and you can have some quality time alone with your husband as well.

Best,

Mia

Archived