Excursions with 9 month old - ideas?

sabbie

I know that I have seen various posts out there for "what to do with your kids on excursions" but I have to ask too. Jack will be 9 months so we would be looking for anything to do with him in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and San Juan. We will be traveling on May 4th on Freedom of the Seas and it seems the best options would be to just do beach activities. Only draw back on this is that we are from FL and only live 10 minutes from the beach now so it isn't as the most exciting option for us as we are there so much anyway. (not complaining, in fact we love it but would like another option at least at one port) Our travel agent suggested calling resorts and asking them for a day pass or lower nightly rate so we could get a room for the day and go there instead of a public beach since they would have more amenities for us. Has anyone done this in the past and if so did you like it vs. going on an actual excursion? Thanks for any insight you can provide!!

My first suggestions would be beautiful little beaches...but they're nothing new to you and your little one. You may enjoy Coki Beach and the small aquarium that's next door on St. Thomas.

I would think that taking your TA's advice would get to be very expensive and isn't really needed. If you leave the ship in the morning, you could be back on board in the early afternoon (nap time?) and enjoy a relatively empty ship for the rest of the day.

I think you might get some more suggestions if you post this question on each Port's individual board. Good luck!

We have always found that any excursion that involves an air conditioned car/van is the best choice when traveling with our baby.

The heat really does them in quickly so perhaps a highlights tour with some intermittent stops would be a good idea.

Another good way to beat the heat and keep baby cool is to bring along a spray bottle of water and be sure to mist him often.

I wouldn't worry too much about giving him a new experience at that age. I'd be more concerned with giving him a pleasant, comfortable excursion -- which probably will mean a trip to the beach, and then back to the familiar environment of the ship. He'll be ready for more extensive excursions in a few years. :)

When my oldest was that age we didn't do any beach excursions because my parents were traveling with me and they weren't beach people. So because of that, I know of a nice airconditioned option that we did.

St. Martin we did the "Under the Two Flags Tour". It was in an air conditioned bus and they took us to a bunch of different areas on St.Martin. We could shop. Go to an outside cafe. They took us to a bunch of nice photo ops. And we learned all about the island.

We also did Coral World in St. Thomas when my youngest was that 8 months old.

There is a zoo in St. Maarten that is within walking distance of Philipsburg which might be fun. There is also the Butterfly farm which is close to Orient and Le Gallion beaches which would both be nice for a baby. In St. Thomas you can walk from the Havensight Pier to the ride up the mountain called Paradise Peak(I think) and ther are hikes, view, restaurant, shops and a bird show. There is also an outdoor mall right by that pier. Karysa

Thanks for the suggestions, it's really appreciated. We are really looking forward to the trip but at the same time just want to make sure that we don't try to push it to much for Jack. All in all we plan on just going with the flow and enjoying a nice family vacation.

Archived