Calling all 9/10 Voyager Cruisers- Enough rocking for ya!

jbrewster630

Geez! Saturday night was horrible! I never got sea sick ever-until we hit the tail end of IVAN (and with no warning from the crew or captain). My Hubby was so nervous, he stayed in the Promenade from 2-6 a.m. with a couple other men thinking the same thoughts he was. ;)

Any stories from anyone else aboard?

Oh yes indeed -- quite enough rocking for a while! Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you, although we were probably on the same tours (San Juan and St. Maarten?) As for St. Thomas, we ended up getting off the ship with our rain gear and went with a "local," who had a vehicle which accommodated ten people. He took us all over the island, including the topmost spot, and stopped for picture-taking and shopping. In future, I will take this kind of tour instead of booking ahead of time with an agency OR on the ship itself. There are always certified local tour operators, and I have found them all excellent.

Barb and I did not get seasick Sat. night but found it impossible to sleep because the banging against the ship. It was of course the heavy seas causing the "banging," but it sure sounded as if the ship had been torpedoed! We could even hear the coat hangers sliding back and forth in the closet. Of course, we really were rocking and rolling big time!

The two things that stand out for me in a negative way (and this is totally a personal experience) were (1) the oppressive heat at Labadee and San Juan, which was unbearable to me; and (2) the bus ride back to Hartford after a long day waiting to be called. It had been expected that the bus would leave the port at 12:30, but I boarded just before 4 p.m. We managed to stay comfortable on the ship while we waited, and we knew that the delays in disembarking were unavoidable. But I never anticipated that the bus driver would take us to Hartford by way of the moon!! Got off the bus at about 8 o'clock and felt bad for those who were going on to Springfield, Worcester and Boston. The Boston people who had booked a limo kept calling the limo service to change their time of arrival. As I was getting off the bus, they were resigned to the idea that it would most likely be about midnight.

We found the ship absolutely dazzling and had a wonderful time. The staff was truly extraordinary and we felt we were leaving a kind of "family" behind as we left. Fortunately, neither of us became seasick, and except for my inability to tolerate the heat, the cruise was perfect, even in spite of the hurricanes.

I felt so very sorry for the islanders who have next to nothing in the first place and then were hit by back-to-back hurricanes. I keep thinking about them.

I only felt it when we were returning. I thought it was fun though for a while just a little quesy. I would like to that all those who showed up at the cruise meet and mingle. It was nice to pass by and say hello to those thru out the ship. Overall I had the best time and would do it again. Booking during hurricane season you have to expect these things to happen and the ship itself made up for it.

Marialivia, glad to see you made it back safely! Were you able to get any cabin pictures? (I had talked to you previously on another post about being in a forward cabin, #7206). Let me know if you had a chance to check out our cabin number. Sounds like you really heard the waves being in front of the ship. I guess we'll have the same experience if we have any rough seas. Hope to hear from you soon!

Hi to all on the Voyager. I wonder if our ship, the Caribbean Princess sailed past your ship on Wednesday night?? We saw a Voyager Class (least we think it was) ship a few miles out from us. We were leaving Jamaica, Montego bay that Wednesday night. Well, if it was you we were waving at you. Glad everyone is safe and had a good time.

Marialivia, glad to see you made it back safely! Were you able to get any cabin pictures? (I had talked to you previously on another post about being in a forward cabin, #7206). Let me know if you had a chance to check out our cabin number. Sounds like you really heard the waves being in front of the ship. I guess we'll have the same experience if we have any rough seas. Hope to hear from you soon!

Jane: Glad you found me! I tried to find your post on the boards but hadn't gotten there yet. Yes, I did go up and check out the cabin, hoping that it would be in the process of being cleaned (that's the time I went up). However, the door was closed. The door is around a little corner, as you will note from the diagram in the catalog and online. I'm not sure if we took any cabin pictures -- but Barb was constantly snapping, so probably we have some. But I wouldn't know how to get them onto this message. I can tell you that our stateroom was EXACTLY like the one pictured in the catalog.

Actually, we both LOVED being up front. The banging we heard was also heard by numerous people we spoke to on Sunday, and no matter where their cabins were located, they had the same experience. They too heard the coathangers sliding back and forth, etc. and many became seasick. We sat with a couple from NJ who are frequent cruisers and are very savvy about the "best location for a stateroom," but both of them had been seasick and unable to sleep because of the noise. So in this case I'm not sure we were any worse off.

Our cabin overlooked the observation deck (as will yours), and we enjoyed looking out each morning and then again in the evening or whenever we felt like it. As for the long walk to the theater, restaurant etc., we didn't mind it at all. Barb was a bit blue as our cruise was coming to an end, and she said that next time she wants to ;) go on this ship, and also in that very cabin!!

As I have posted elsewhere, the thing that got to me even more than the rough seas on that final night was the unbearable heat at Labadee, San Juan and even St. Maarten. But perhaps I mind the heat more than others.

I can virtually guarantee that you will love your up-front location!!! ML

Hi everyone,

I am sorry i was unable to make it to the meet & mingle i had a bad headache the first day and a half,my boyfriend had gone down for me but he only stayed for a few minutes, he felt out of place because he had never posted and really wasn't sure what was going on. So again i am sorry i was not able to join all of you. We had a great time, and never got seasick. If you remember back when i first posted I had mentioned by boyfriend wasn't sure if he was going to like it, well he loved it and we are booked on next years same internary, we figured we will give it another shot, we really wanted to go to jamica.

Our room was nice we had a balcony(7296) and we in the middle of the ship but could still feel the rocking and rolling and those darn coat hanger, we ended up tieing the together!

As far as the port, we were not all that impressed, but that is probably because it was not what we had planned on and we had no excursion to do. But we did do plently for shopping.

And now for our big news, while in St. Thomas in the pouring rain me boyfriend got down on one knee and proposed to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I could say was YES,YES,YES :)

Well we give this cruise a thumbs up and now it's time to start planning our next cruise and a wedding, but the weddings not till 2006.

Sandy & Joe

Maria, thank you so much for putting my mind at ease! As for the long walks, I told my husband that I'll have to wear my walking shoes with my formals & carry my formal shoes & put them on right outside the dining room. LOL!:D Seriously though, it doesn't sound like the distance was too much of a problem. Again, thank you for taking the time to give me this info. Glad you had a great trip!

Congradulations Sandy And Joe On Your Engagement....what A Way To Purpose, Now You Can Get Married On The Ship In St. Thomas.haha. The Captin Did Anounce That The Sea's Were Going To Be A Little Rough The Last Couple Of Nights Due To The Hurricane Behind Us. Very Expected, We Were All Very Lucky Not To Hit The Blunt Of It, As For The Ports, I Was A Little Disapointed Not Going To Jamaica Because I Wanted To Swim With The Dolphins But Look At It This Way, We Weren't Out To Sea For 9 Day's. I Think In The Mist Of It All They Did There Very Best To Accomadate All The Passengers. I Had A Case For The $11.000 Jack Pot 1 Number Away N34 Will I Ever Forget That. He Called 6 Numbers After That And Never Went Back Into The N' Oh Well, On A Good Note My Husband And I Did Win The Horse Race $1150.oo First Time We Ever Won, How Exciting Was That, We Were The Jamacian Horse.

To The Hand Full Of People I Meet At The Meet And Mingle It Was Very Nice To Meet You All. It Was A Little Disapointing That Out Of 61 Sign Ups That Only A Hand Full Of Us Showed Up. Any Questions Feel Free To Ask.

Hi, maryanne, this is debra.... My mother was at that same bingo with only one number away... it was a 4 she was waiting for but don't remember the letter, I know she was a little dissappointed. I was watching that horse race but I did't quite know how it worked.

As for the ports it only means we have to book another cruise with the same itinerary next time the islands are safe and the people that live there can put their lives back together

Archived